eBay Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Was contacted and told I would be having an interview with my hiring manager. I was able to pick a time thats best for me. The phone call didn't last very long. I only had one phone interview, no in-person interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Standard out of the text book questions in most of the rounds. Some of the interviewers asked about probability and really some tricky questions - but that was just one or two guys. But most of the questions were very easy and even if you had brushed up your algo skills once, you can answer them very easily.

Interview Questions

• Longest Common Subsequence, DFS and print paths from the root node to all the nodes in the tree etc.   Answer Question

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay in April 2015.

Interview

The process take about 1 month, basic questions about algorithms and test, 1 phone interview, and 5 skype interviews, the feedbacks should not be negative and some of them are positive

Analytics Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Conventional process. Two rounds of phone screen by HR and the hiring manager, and two rounds of on-site interview, behavioral. Very thorough background checking and referral process. The whole process took more than three months, as the role I applied was not a conventional analytics position.

Interview Questions

• How would you promote products listed on eBay website? How to test your hypotheses? How would you use analytics in HR and other non-marketing fields?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

I apply on line and get a phone interview. The interviewer was 30 minutes late and only interview me about 5 minutes, just asking some simple question about my resume. And then I get rejected next day.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at eBay in March 2015.

Interview

Process took 3 weeks. I applied online and got an email from one of the recruiters. She set me up for a technical phone interview. It started off with few basic java questions for 10 minutes followed by a Tree question that I had to code in collabedit.

Interview Questions

• How are values passed in Java? By value or by reference?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between a set and a map? Can you place a set inside a map?   1 Answer
    • Find the Least common ancestor for two given nodes in a tree. I solved this question using double recursion but the interviewer was expecting me to solve it in a better way.   Answer Question
    • How do you check if a string is palindrome or not?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, longer phone interview with hiring manager, on-site interview with hiring manager and team members, brief skills test, long tour. I was introduced to the team and had the opportunity to ask as many questions as I wanted to.

Analytics Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at eBay in March 2015.

Interview

45 minutes phone interview with hiring manager. Went through background, had two cases, one analytical discussion and one SQL question. The first case question was how to define success for a recommendation system. The business case was how to decide a) whether should the company launch certain function in the APP in certain country and b) how to define success.

Interview Questions

• How to implement ranking function in SQL   1 Answer

Technical PhD Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at eBay in March 2015.

Interview

Applied the position in late February and got back in one week. Went through three rounds of interview. First spoke with the hiring manager, followed by two more group members. All these interviews involved general machine learning and algorithm questions. Preparation for all the contents listed on resume and algorithm questions are indispensable.

Interview Questions

• What are the existing ensemble methods? Pros and cons.   Answer Question

Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Consisted of 2 rounds. Round 1 was a case study round, along with an extended discussion about my work experience. I had relevant work experience so spoke about that. The interviewer did spend a significant amount of time clarifying things about the position. Round 2 was an SQL interview, and a discussion about my work experience again.

Interview Questions

• If you were to forecast the sales of one of the products for the Q1 of FY 2015 what would your approach be? SQL interview was very basic. They gave me 2 sample tables. Asked me to perform some basic roll ups, and calculate ranks of entries, by using ordered analytical functions.   Answer Question