eBay Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, longer phone interview with hiring manager, on-site interview with hiring manager and team members, brief skills test, long tour. I was introduced to the team and had the opportunity to ask as many questions as I wanted to.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for eBay

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I got a phone call from the recruiter who mentioned that eBay is their direct client. The recruiter herself asked some basic Core Java questions. Then they send me a email to solve a technical question and write up about my experience in cloud computing.

Interview Questions

• Write a program in Java to assess a given string whether it complies with following patterns. Return true if a given string complies with these patterns else false. N = N1 + N2 N>= N1 >= N2 where N is the Nth element in the string or element at Nth position; N1 is the (N-1) element in the string & N2 is the (N-2) element in the string. Example 1: 224610 Elements in this string are 2, 2, 4, 6, 10. First Set: 2+2=4 (N2=2; N1=2 & N= 4); Second Set: 2+4=6 (N2=2; N1=4 & N=6); Third Set: 4+6=10 (N2=4; N1=6 & N= 10) Example 2: 1112233558 Elements in this string are 1, 11, 12, 23, 35, 58 Example 3: 1101102203 Elements in this string are 1, 101, 102, 203   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at eBay.

Interview

2 Phone screens and an onsite

Interview Questions

Negotiation

negotiated and agreed on mutually accepted offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

2 skype interviews. Usually programming. Gayle lakman book algorithm questions. 4 onsite technical interivews which are agian from same book. 3 skype or onsite rounds with director/manager which can be combination of algorithms and managerial questions.

Interview Questions

• Given staircase on which you can climb 1,2 or 3 steps at time. Give count of all combinations to reach top of staircase. Doubly linked list, find middle element and delete. Remove all occurence of a character out of string in array.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Usually what you ask is what you get. Sometimes less than that. So they often bump up the joining bonus and relocation bonus to match up. Note that joining bonus are subject to 44% tax.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview process went very smooth as I was getting hired as a full time employee coming from over a year working there as a contractor. Technical part was fun and challenging.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (Portland, OR) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online via dice Recruiter called me after a few days and scheduled a telephonic technical round then 5 rounds of in person interview at ebay office each 30-45 minutes

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter back in Nov. We setup a time to talk, and then 2 phone interviews. One of them was primarily focused on Java. The other interviewer was more interested in general problem solving abilities, and my knowledge and experience with data mining. Both phone interviews went well and I was invited to an on-site interview. I interviewed on-site for a couple of hours with 5 people and had lunch with the hiring manager. All interviewers were very nice to me and seemed interest in my experience and projects. A week later I received a call from the recruiter saying they were giving me an offer. We went through the details and I accepted it. A few days later I was asked to complete all the necessary paperwork, including background check and references. Everything was fine up to that point. Then a new recruiter took over this hiring and we discussed relocation details etc. A few days passed, then weeks, and I kept calling the recruiter to ask why I haven't gotten anything. The recruiter gave me different versions about the story, including that they were processing my offer letter. I've called them several times for many days and they sometimes answer the phone and say something different but never call me back. To say the least, I am very disappointed. I declined two other job offers while I was going through this process, thinking I had a job. Now that I declined the other job offers, the recruiter doesn't even call me to tell me what happened to the job offer. Extremely unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

This was a group of Paypal folks and interviewers were pretty casual at the same time knowledgeable. I could feel the passion in their pulse. Also everybody looked very laid back and did not show stress on their faces which was most important to me.

Interview Questions

• There were a couple of on the go questions from the manager. These were not typical questions and he didn't really expect the correct answer but just wanted to know how I thought. From what I remember one was the way I would think to use quadratic equations to solve a daily problem. I don't remember the other one.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much was there to negotiate as they offer more than what I asked for.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter. First was a phone screening which went well. Second phone was horrible : Interviewer was not at all interested in taking interview, inspite of all the correct answers he gave a negative feedback. He was looking frustrated and was in super hurry looked like he was on a coffee break while taking interview. Did complaint to recruiter ..

Interview Questions

• Which one better to either div or table for a grid ? which will perform better ?   Answer Question
    • what are different type of CSS selectors ? What are Id selectors ?   Answer Question
    • what is difference between Arraylist a = new Arraylist (); and List a = new Arraylist () ?   Answer Question
    • what design patterns have you used .. explain how.   Answer Question
    • Difference between singleton and a class with all static methods.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (San Jose, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

The interview consisted of the following questions: 1. Lowest common ancestor problem with different scenarios. The interviewer asked me to come up with all possible solutions and then compare them. 2. Hash table related question. 3. Producer consumer problem. 4. C++ STL questions and class related questions (constructor, destructor, automatic garbage collection) 5. Implementation of heap 6. questions related to resume 7. implementation of hash table and collision resolving techniques

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. You either accept it or leave it.