eHarmony

Relevance Date Difficulty

Front End Developer Interview

Front End Developer
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at eHarmony in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview (theoretical- testing on a lot of concepts like closures,callbacks etc)
onsite(4 rounds): little white boarding exercise, more paper and oral exercise based on html5,css3,JS

Interview Question – Javascript closure example   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They took a lot of time to give the reply. I had a better offer.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

Interviewed at eHarmony

Interview Details – submit resume - online coding test (very basic) - phone interview - offer!

Interview Question – Design and describe a computer vision system for evaluating user photos.   Answer Question

Intern Software Developer Interview

Intern Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eHarmony in March 2013.

Interview Details – I apply eHarmony online and after 5 days a HR contact me for first interview. In the first interview there's no tech questions but HR asked me some question about my project experience. Then I received a task test to do. I finish it as quick as I can then send back to them. Till now I am still waiting for reply....

Interview Question – Some question about project and I am given a test to do   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at eHarmony.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was very detailed and helpful. Next was an in-house interview with my prospective supervisor and with a member of the Human Resources department. The interview question were pretty basic, mostly having to do with past work experience and skill level. I think they could have shared more about the company culture and would push them for that if interviewing again.

Interview Question – There really weren't any. All of the questions related directly to my skill level. I didn't think the questions were all that interesting either.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated salary up by $5,000. Not much room for any other negotiations. I would recommend that if you want to negotiate then this probably isn't the right fit for you.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eHarmony in September 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview with HR. Went into the office one time and was interviewed by 7 people, including supervisors, managers, director and VP. Everyone was nice and the conversation had a positive flow. There were no tricky questions, they just wanted to know you better.

Interview Question – All questions were straight forward. They asked for a difficult customer interaction situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They were not flexible with wage or start date.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eHarmony in June 2008.

Interview Details – When I originally started at eHarmony - the interview process included meeting the owner of the company. With the recent departure of the founders, I believe the interview process is now more meeting with HR, and in product - the Director, the other Senior Product Managers and IT staff to ensure culture fit.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at eHarmony in September 2011.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional.

I was scheduled to meet with 5 or 6 different individuals. 3 of them would not meet with me because they were "too busy." Instead, they sent in a few surrogates that did not understand the position that I had applied for.

Every interview was all over the place. eHarmony clearly had no clue what they were looking for in a Data Analyst. The actual hiring manager asked several questions about machine learning, which I was expecting. But all of the other interviews involved dashboard creation. I do not know one Data Analyst that also does dashboard design as that is clearly a frontend user interface engineering position. They asked me if I had experience with practically every single machine learning, statistics and visualization package known to man. It was clear that they were just going down a checklist of the latest buzzwords.

Recruiter said "I will have an answer to you tomorrow." Three days passed and I emailed the recruiter. His response was "the hiring manager was in a car accident. I will have an answer in a few days." I never heard back. Very unprofessional to not even have the cojones to deliver bad news.

I am glad that I did not get the position though. This is a typical corporate dot com company with a typical 9-5 boring culture. I was not into the whole touchy-feely notion that they are helping people "find love." Gag me.

The person that they did end up hiring is just a basic data analyst with no machine learning or visualization experience according to LinkedIn. So what the heck were they hiring for? I guess when they found out they couldn't find an expert in "everything" they changed their tactics. The position was open for at least 9 months.

The whole process was pitiful, and makes eHarmony and the recruiter look pathetic.

Interview Questions

• How would you simultaneously visualize the accuracy of a classifier?   View Answer
  • Write a line of shell that recursively removes .svn directories.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at eHarmony in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online via eHarmony. Also connected to one of the hiring managers on linkedIn. Did a quick 20min phone interview and they decided to bring me in for an onsite interview.

eHarmony is located in the same building as Yahoo. Cool work place. Lots of pictures of matched couples on the wall. Relax and casual environment. Typical dot-com company.

Was asked questions pertaining to data visualization, statistics and machine learning.

Interview Question – Describe bayesian classifiers.   Answer Question

PR Manager Interview

PR Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at eHarmony in March 2014.

Interview Details – A 4 step interview process - very thorough. Was good to meet the team, and also be interviewed and meet with the PR agency prior to joining as this helped me hit the ground running on arrival. Presentation was included in the 2nd stage.

Interview Question – I'd prepped well for questions - but one of the team did ask me to recall how I responded to a negative media situation. Not something you always get asked (normally just talking about learnings, and positive pointers) so it caught me off guard.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was good - and fair.

PR Executive Interview

PR Executive
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eHarmony in April 2013.

Interview Details – Very organised, well planned, interviewed with each member of team plus members of international teams, eight interviews in total, difficult questions but very friendly and approachable, interviews lasted longer than expected, didn't feel rushed at any time

Interview Question – Question regarding what would my next marketing or PR strategy be - found this hard to answer as had very limited marketing experience before and no PR experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate salary, but wish I had a bit in hindsight.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for eHarmony? Contribute to the Community!

eHarmony Videos

eHarmony – Why Work for Us?

At eHarmony, we've never shied away from big challenges. We came together in 2000 believing that with a mix of psychology and some cutting edge technology, we could create relationships that were happier, more… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eHarmony interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by eHarmony employees and interview candidates.