foursquare Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2014
Updated May 24, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at foursquare in April 2014.

I submitted my resume to their website. Then I got a call from the recruiter. I was scheduled a phone interview. After I passed the phone screen, I was asked onsite.

The onsite consists of four rounds. The questions were quite thought-provoking. The interviewers were also very professional and nice. They always gave me the right hint at the right time. With their help, I was able to get all the questions right. We also had a few nice conversations about their venue quality. The HR was also very responsive. He extended the offer to me the next day after the interview. Also, he was nice enough to organize a few chats between me and different team leaders after my interview.

In general, it was a very nice company. I can feel the passion of the software engineers. I wish their products will become really popular.

Interview Questions
    • They ask me to design a spammer detection system. It is not straightforward.   Answer Question

I have more interesting places to go. So I decided to turn down their offer.

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at foursquare.

-applied online
    -received an email to set up an initial phone screen
    -spoke with a recruiter who was very amicable
    -set up a time to speak with the manager and a team member
    -came in and spoke with them for about 45minutes
    -received the offer about an hour later

Interview Questions
    • take us through the steps for troubleshooting an issue   Answer Question

Data Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at foursquare in December 2013.

I saw a posting for a full-time data analytics internship in NYC. I leveraged my personal network to make a connection to the talent acquisition team. From there I was extended an invitation to interview over the phone. Both people with whom I interacted were professional and responsive. The interview itself was not terribly difficult. I had to walk through my resume, discuss my interest in foursquare, there were some fit questions, etc. At the end there was a mini technical interview. The interviewer asked five basic SQL questions to test level of comfort with querying. In the end I did not get an offer. My interviewer offered me feedback and let me know that they were interested in my background but needed more availability (I was not available full time).

Interview Questions
    • While I'm quite comfortable building queries, I was never professionally/technically trained so I was unfamiliar with the technical terminology associated with queries. "What is the difference between an inner and outer join?"   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at foursquare.

Phone screens and then an onsite.

Interview Questions
    • They asked in depth about my experience with databases and database schema design as well as efficient use of database constructs. Unfortunately I only had one project in school that dealt with sql for about a week so I didn't have a great deal of experience to call upon. These questions were very unexpected and inconsistent with my other experiences interviewing as a new grad.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at foursquare.

Phone interview - basic questions about past work experience and experience using foursquare

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at foursquare in April 2013.

It was a phone interview without online coding.
    The interviewer was nice. He asked two projects in my resume, one was Haoop Programming. Then he asked hashtable vs. hashap, malloc vs. new, process vs. thread, binary search. All kinds of concept questions. He also asked whether I knew Scala Programming Language.

Senior UI Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at foursquare.

One of the longest and frustrating interview processes I've ever encountered, especially for someone that didn't apply for the job. I was contacted through a recruiter, had an initial phone screen, then the following week met with a senior designer and the design director. A week later went in for a 3-4hr block of time to meet with four more people on the design team. Three of the four had their laptops out and were literally going through a list of questions and taking vigorous notes right after every one of my answers. Felt like half of them weren't interested in having real conversations, or maybe it felt more like someone in charge was going to go over their notes later. Another week later they asked me to do a design project to understand my thought processes and see the craft in my work. Then the following week they asked me to come in and present my work. At this point I passed.

For a place that stresses their fun culture, their interview process feels corporate and inauthentic. There probably isn't any difference in their interview process whether they're trying to poach you, or not.

Product Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at foursquare.

The recruiter called me after applying a few times through their site, and writing to their founders. The phone screen went very well. The salary expectation was off and recruiter sent me a rejection email. Worst part - One of my friends who was a common friend to recruiter was contacted and enquired about my background. Even though everything was positive, I was over qualified for their needs.

Worked for foursquare? Contribute to the Community!