hhgregg

2.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hhgregg in October 2013.

I inquired about job openings in person, where the General Manager informed me of two open positions: full-time Electronics Sales Associate, and Customer Service Merchandiser. He directed me to apply online, then follow up with a phone call in a couple days so he could process the application on their end. I applied for the Customer Service Merchandiser position. Shortly after my follow up call, I was offered an interview for a few days later. I was over-prepared for the interview, as it only lasted 15 minutes. When I arrived for it, the Appliance Sales Manager I was interviewing with was busy, and encouraged me to look around the store. Then, he pulled up my application online looking for a copy of my resume, which I had printed out and brought with me. Looking it over, he felt I was qualified more as an Appliance Sales Associate, and even offered that, if interested, upper management was looking for new Managers in Training, and with my background he felt I'd be a "shoe-in." We went into his office, and we shared customer service experiences, from goofy to outlandishly foolish, and talked casually. He told me they were going to perform my background check, after which they'd follow up with a drug test. Assuming they were both unblemished, he'd like to see me on the schedule within a week of results. They received the results the following week, and the week after that I began training as an Appliance Sales Associate.

Interview Questions
  • Most unexpected was the lackadaisical, casual tone carried throughout the entire interaction. There seemed to be no structured interview questions; it certainly didn't feel like a professional interview.   Answer Question
Because I was going from an hourly position to commission-based, there was no negotiation phase. Explanations of how we will make money, what they pay us for, were covered in the first day of the two day training all new associates must attend.

Other Interview Reviews for hhgregg

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at hhgregg in July 2013.

My interviewer was two hours late . Finally showed up , no apology or reason. Showed u looking disheveled and out of it. I was hired . I should have read the writing on the wall.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Commissioned sales.

Phone screen - interview-offer-2 week training

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg in September 2012.

Standard behavioral test and interview questions (have you ever been in X situation and what was your response?).

Interview Questions
    • A customer comes in and has no idea what to get their granddaughter, what do you do?   Answer Question
    Corporate sets the pay scale for sales associates, no negotiations possible except days off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at hhgregg in March 2012.

Online Application that included a "Fit" Questionnaire and Resume. Called in for interview and received two interviews. One from SM and one from the GM.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected although some thought questions were challenging.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. It was made clear this was a commission only position with an $8.25 per hour draw and commission based upon 1% of everything sold + a% of profit+ a floating scale up to 25% when Service Contracts were sold on eligible products.

Appliance Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hhgregg in March 2012.

I was contacted by e-mail after I applied online for a new store that would be opening within a month or so.. In this email I was asked when a good time to have a brief phone interview would be. I replied and a very nice man called me the next day and told me about the position. He asked me to come for a formal interview the next week. I spoke with him for about an hour and he asked the most questions I've ever been asked in an interview. After that he had presented me to the GM and was told about a scheduling conflict I had. Because I would miss one week of the two week training (which I assumed would cost me the job), I was put in the "pool" and would be contacted if they didn't care for other applicants or if some dropped out during training.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most memorable gift you've given recently?   Answer Question
    • "I'm a father trying to buy a fridge for my daughter's dorm room- sell me one."   Answer Question
    • After seeing our ads on TV, what suggestions would you make to increase sales for our company?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a customer brought an item to you that she found on a bargain table and it rang up full price?   Answer Question
    • What are you passionate about?
      If that answer is a 10 on a scale of one to10, how passionate would you be about working for hhgregg?

Answer Question