hhgregg

Relevance Date Difficulty

Electronic Sales Interview

Electronic Sales
Memphis, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was very basic. There weren't any questions you don't usually hear.

Interview Question – Give an example of problem solving.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – Meet with store manager for 1st interview. 2nd and/or 3rd interview with Regional Manager and Divisional Vice President. They both have to approve but its the DVP that has final say. Interviews my be group conducted or several interviews go on in same store...doesnt mean there is only one spot...they will at times look for 2-3 at once. Sales experience helps

Interview Question – They like to get a feeling for you....outside of work. There is a lot of work related questions...but they wanna know what makes you, you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Phone call with an offer. I attempted to negotiate but it is a bonus incentive position

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg in January 2012.

Interview Details – Three part process/ The first step was an initial telephone conversion. The second step is a face to face interview with the district manager. the final step is with the regional vice president.

Interview Question – Please role play a specific item that you would like to sell to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Store Manager/Manager In Training Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – The interview process at HHGregg was extremely unprofessional and quite frankly, embarrassing. I completed the application process through the website which allows you to send your resume, do a basic online application, and then complete an assessment. I was then contacted by a senior store manager shortly after. We talked briefly on the phone and then set up an interview at a store location relatively close to my home. After that was all set up, I decided to do a little research about the company before my interview. I looked into it’s reputation amongst present and past employees, as well as its financials and overall success as a retailer. I was very turned off by what I read, and quite honestly had little desire to commit to HHGregg at that point. However, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to interview. The day before the interview the store manager I was dealing with contacts me to tell me he can’t do the interview at the store (by my home) the we agreed on, and asks me to drive to a store an hour away for the interview. However, he says that his District Manager will be at this new store and after the first interview, I can do a 2nd one with this DM right on the spot. I say ok and head out the following day. After arriving 10 minutes early, I am told the my interviewer is running late. So I wait around for over 30 minutes and he finally shows. So we conduct the interview. It goes well. A typical behavioral interview. I was asked several questions about my past experience and specific situations I’ve dealt with in my retail management career. He also talked about the company and some basics of the position itself. We finish the interview and he tells me that the DM is not available for the 2nd interview he promised me the previous day, but he will will call me in the next day or two to set it up. I then gave him my availability for the next week or so, and we concluded things there.

Well a week goes by and he calls me back (didn’t he say he’d contact me in a day or two?) to set up this 2nd interview. He apparently completely ignored the availability I gave him at the 1st interview cause he wanted to schedule it on a day and time I wasn’t available. So anyway, we settle on a day. Then the day comes and I receive a call about an hour before the interview by the same manager telling me he has to cancel the interview and wants to reschedule! At this point, I was DONE, but I said ok, and we settled on a new day. Now at this point he is giving me the impression that I pretty much have this job and the 2nd interview was merely a formality. He is asking me about my availability to complete the steps I will need to go through after the 2nd interview is done. One of which apparently includes driving FOUR HOURS OUT OF STATE to do God knows what the day after the interview! What?! At this point I’m struggling to hold back laughter. So I decide to cut ties with this ridiculousness and send an email to the store manager I had been dealing with all along where I told him I had received an offer from another company and would not be continuing with the process. I also very graciously thanked him for the time and interest. I received no response back, which much like the entire process, I found to be very unprofessional. And I do know the email had been received because at times we had been communicating through email throughout the process. So in closing, I found this whole process representative of the company who’s reputation and overall success in the industry is shaky at best. If your options are limited, perhaps HHGregg is a workplace worth considering. Otherwise, BEWARE.

Interview Question – "Describe a time where you were challenged ethically."   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Greensboro, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg in November 2013.

Interview Details – Brief interview, was later ridiculed for keeping eye contact during the session.

Interview Question – There wasn't one   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Receiving Associate Interview

Aurora, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – Aside from the issues I had with my throwaway email address being locked (I applied to the wrong store and had to use the throwaway to make a new account), the interview process was rather simple. You go in, answer rather basic questions and converse briefly with the manager before he gives you a rundown of your position. This is where everything goes to hell, as the position he describes is not the position you work. When I worked there, I was told I would be driving a forklift all day but ended up sweeping and moving appliances. And by sweeping, I mean sweeping the entire warehouse, repeatedly. Take that into consideration when s/he's detailing the job, as a buddy of mine was told he'd be building furniture and that's all he was told to expect, but rarely ever did (he swept too). All-in-all, don't expect to be doing what you were hired to do at all. They will put you where they need you and if you're afraid of heights like me, that's a big problem.

To make matters worse, I waited an hour in nearly empty conference room for the interview to begin, despite arriving 5 minutes early.

Interview Question – They were really basic and He spent most of the time explaining in great detail which job I would (read: wouldn't) be doing while I was there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much for negotiation: I was told what the position paid initially, and then the raise I would get after passing a probationary period (to the best of my knowledge, no one made it passed the probationary period aside from temps who wouldn't get a raise anyway.)

Sales Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – Know your strengths and have specific examples

Interview Question – Why you want to work at hhgregg   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Based on experience

Sales Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – Simple interview process but you'll have to prove yourself on the sales floor. Can be a challenge depending on traffic and if other tenure associates are trying to snake your sales. Your experience can vary depending on location

Interview Question – Name three cities you would like to work prefer to work at?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my rate based on my education and sales performance

Electronic Sales Interview

Electronic Sales

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview with the sales manager. Typically asks about experience and how you are with people. Pretty easy interview overall.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Basic personality questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, you make what you make. Draw is minimum wage * hours worked. If you make above that, that's how you set your own salary.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – I initially went inside the store and spoke to the manager about applying for a position; he referred me to the company website and asked me to call him after I completed the application.
I completed the application and the 100+ questionnaire and called the manager, he told me he would review the application and get back to me the same day. Two weeks later he called me to schedule an interview.
I came in for the interview, and we sat in the furniture area of the sales floor. It was very relaxed; all the questions asked were in an easy format to respond to and were majorly get-to-know-you questions. A few weeks later I was then drug screened for the position and never heard from HH Gregg again. The results were negative for anything and I have not received any notification as to why or if I was declined for the position.

Throughout this process it was impossible to get in contact with a manager at the store and felt that It was not worth my time to continue waiting for any kind of response.

Interview Question – What do you do if the phone is constantly ringing while you are checking out a customer with no other associates available to answer the call.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at hhgregg

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hhgregg interview questions and advice. All 98 interview reviews posted anonymously by hhgregg employees and interview candidates.