hhgregg

Relevance Date Difficulty

Appliance Sales Interview

Appliance Sales
Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at hhgregg in October 2013.

Interview Details – I inquired about job openings in person, where the General Manager informed me of two open positions: full-time Electronics Sales Associate, and Customer Service Merchandiser. He directed me to apply online, then follow up with a phone call in a couple days so he could process the application on their end. I applied for the Customer Service Merchandiser position. Shortly after my follow up call, I was offered an interview for a few days later. I was over-prepared for the interview, as it only lasted 15 minutes. When I arrived for it, the Appliance Sales Manager I was interviewing with was busy, and encouraged me to look around the store. Then, he pulled up my application online looking for a copy of my resume, which I had printed out and brought with me. Looking it over, he felt I was qualified more as an Appliance Sales Associate, and even offered that, if interested, upper management was looking for new Managers in Training, and with my background he felt I'd be a "shoe-in." We went into his office, and we shared customer service experiences, from goofy to outlandishly foolish, and talked casually. He told me they were going to perform my background check, after which they'd follow up with a drug test. Assuming they were both unblemished, he'd like to see me on the schedule within a week of results. They received the results the following week, and the week after that I began training as an Appliance Sales Associate.

Interview Question – Most unexpected was the lackadaisical, casual tone carried throughout the entire interaction. There seemed to be no structured interview questions; it certainly didn't feel like a professional interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because I was going from an hourly position to commission-based, there was no negotiation phase. Explanations of how we will make money, what they pay us for, were covered in the first day of the two day training all new associates must attend.

Mobile, AL

I applied online - interviewed at hhgregg in November 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward interview. It was more like a conversation and less like an interview. Asked more life questions. Examples of work history and duties. Prioritizing job tasks. The store manager and Home theater manager were present. Most of the questions came from the store manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to help a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 100% commision

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate
Winchester, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg in June 2014.

Interview Details – Really easy, was told I was overqualified and that they couldn't come close to giving me the money that I would require and that's when I found out that you can make as much at mcdonalds. Really had good ideas about this company until I found out how little the employees make, Kinda sad that an employee cant afford to shop at the place they work.

Interview Question – I was told that I was over qualified and they would give me a job if I wanted it, so being out of work I said yes and was told they would call me back   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered peanuts 9.00 an hour to carry appliances all day

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg in July 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out application on sunday received a call the next day to set up an interview i scheduled my interview for the same day since there was an opening. Arrived at the store at 3pm for my interview people didn't know who i was why i was there or what position i applied for. I finally meet with store manager after seating for about 35 minutes interview question where really non-existent basically went over work experience. offered me a crappy sales associate position on the spot and said we love to hire within, i declined 100% commission forget that mess

Interview Question – unorganized   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – didn't want a job with commision when i went in for management

Racine, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – Submitted an application online received a call the very next day. Went in for an interview with the sales manager, general interview questions and then a tour through the store. Was offered the job on the spot.

Background and drug test followed.

Interview Question – Why should I higher you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 100% Commission zero negotiation.

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at hhgregg in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on the company website. Received a call 2 days later from the local Store Manager. Interview was not a professional interview nor was it appropriate for the open position I applied to.

Customer Service Merchandiser Interview

Customer Service Merchandiser

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – The hiring process will take, at a minimum, 2 weeks. No CMS that I have seen have been hired faster than within a 2 week period. Corporate will undoubtedly need various taxation and other legal documents completed many more times than just once. Background screenings take the majority of the two weeks, and the drug test has same-day results. If the background check gets back to the store in an efficient manner, then all you have to do is complete the company's forms a few times over, over the span of a few days, to be legally allowed to work.

Interview Question – Interviewing experience was very minimal, leading me to expect that the job wouldn't entail as much responsibility as they say. Unfortunately, you will be responsible for MUCH more than expected, and poorly compensated for your skills.   Answer Question

Springfield, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg in February 2013.

Interview Details – I received an email to inform me that I had an interview. I showed up and informed them that I used to work for Sears. They showed me how much money I could make from selling products. I was then taken over to another manager and given an impromptu interview with the electronics manager. After that, I was taken to the computer to finish my employment paperwork.

Interview Question – None, I had been previously employed by their competitor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Home Theater Sales Interview

Home Theater Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

Interview Details – Met with store electronics manager. Reviewed experience related to position and why I felt I would be best qualified candidate. Had second interview with store general manager, discussed store operation and what to expect.

Interview Question – Sell manager a product   Answer Question

Silver Spring, MD

I applied online - interviewed at hhgregg in August 2010.

Interview Details – Quick interview, told the seven steps of the sell are the holly grail of hhgregg. Two week of selling on the floor while on salary. After two weeks,100 % commission, at that time warranties become the holy grail of hhgregg. Little help or structure as other employees will teach you the ends and outs of snaking customers into buying these overpriced service plans

Interview Question – What the most important thing you can offer a customer!   View Answer

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!