hhgregg Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
Updated Aug 22, 2014
111 interviews

Manager In Training Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at hhgregg in July 2014.

The questions were standard run of the mill questions that you would receive at any other job. In my case the interviewer seemed completely lost when I brought up actual retail jargon such as "is cost control handled internally." A highschooler with no retail experience would have no problem excelling at this interview.

Interview Questions

This job is listed as a manager in training position however when questioned about what managerial duties you would be taught, the answer was none. What managerial duties would be expected of you? None. What was the salary? None, 100% commission based. They are hiring Sales associates under the guise of managers, any experienced manager(or even a regular sales clerk) looking at taking this position would be taking two steps back in their career. It's a very deceptive hiring practice that will only result in subpar workforce. Quick research will show that the stock for this company has fallen by 50%+ and they have a litany of complaints from former employees about being unable to make a living wage.

Appliance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at hhgregg in July 2013.

My interviewer was two hours late . Finally showed up , no apology or reason. Showed u looking disheveled and out of it. I was hired . I should have read the writing on the wall.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Commissioned sales.

Sales Interview

call back immediately because high employee turnover. Interview is short and sweet they will hire anyone. Drug test is required. You will be told your a sales person and that's what is expected but once you start you will have to do operational duties because hhgregg is cheap and won't hire enough hourly associates.

Appliance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glen Burnie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at hhgregg in October 2013.

I inquired about job openings in person, where the General Manager informed me of two open positions: full-time Electronics Sales Associate, and Customer Service Merchandiser. He directed me to apply online, then follow up with a phone call in a couple days so he could process the application on their end. I applied for the Customer Service Merchandiser position. Shortly after my follow up call, I was offered an interview for a few days later. I was over-prepared for the interview, as it only lasted 15 minutes. When I arrived for it, the Appliance Sales Manager I was interviewing with was busy, and encouraged me to look around the store. Then, he pulled up my application online looking for a copy of my resume, which I had printed out and brought with me. Looking it over, he felt I was qualified more as an Appliance Sales Associate, and even offered that, if interested, upper management was looking for new Managers in Training, and with my background he felt I'd be a "shoe-in." We went into his office, and we shared customer service experiences, from goofy to outlandishly foolish, and talked casually. He told me they were going to perform my background check, after which they'd follow up with a drug test. Assuming they were both unblemished, he'd like to see me on the schedule within a week of results. They received the results the following week, and the week after that I began training as an Appliance Sales Associate.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected was the lackadaisical, casual tone carried throughout the entire interaction. There seemed to be no structured interview questions; it certainly didn't feel like a professional interview.   Answer Question
    Because I was going from an hourly position to commission-based, there was no negotiation phase. Explanations of how we will make money, what they pay us for, were covered in the first day of the two day training all new associates must attend.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I interviewed online - interviewed at hhgregg in November 2012.

Pretty straight forward interview. It was more like a conversation and less like an interview. Asked more life questions. Examples of work history and duties. Prioritizing job tasks. The store manager and Home theater manager were present. Most of the questions came from the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to help a customer.   Answer Question
    100% commision

Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg in July 2014.

Filled out application on sunday received a call the next day to set up an interview i scheduled my interview for the same day since there was an opening. Arrived at the store at 3pm for my interview people didn't know who i was why i was there or what position i applied for. I finally meet with store manager after seating for about 35 minutes interview question where really non-existent basically went over work experience. offered me a crappy sales associate position on the spot and said we love to hire within, i declined 100% commission forget that mess

Interview Questions

didn't want a job with commision when i went in for management

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winchester, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg in June 2014.

Really easy, was told I was overqualified and that they couldn't come close to giving me the money that I would require and that's when I found out that you can make as much at mcdonalds. Really had good ideas about this company until I found out how little the employees make, Kinda sad that an employee cant afford to shop at the place they work.

Interview Questions
    • I was told that I was over qualified and they would give me a job if I wanted it, so being out of work I said yes and was told they would call me back   View Answer
    They offered peanuts 9.00 an hour to carry appliances all day

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Racine, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Racine, WI

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg.

Submitted an application online received a call the very next day. Went in for an interview with the sales manager, general interview questions and then a tour through the store. Was offered the job on the spot.

Background and drug test followed.

Interview Questions
    100% Commission zero negotiation.

Manager In Training Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at hhgregg in April 2014.

Applied on the company website. Received a call 2 days later from the local Store Manager. Interview was not a professional interview nor was it appropriate for the open position I applied to.

Customer Service Merchandiser Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg.

The hiring process will take, at a minimum, 2 weeks. No CMS that I have seen have been hired faster than within a 2 week period. Corporate will undoubtedly need various taxation and other legal documents completed many more times than just once. Background screenings take the majority of the two weeks, and the drug test has same-day results. If the background check gets back to the store in an efficient manner, then all you have to do is complete the company's forms a few times over, over the span of a few days, to be legally allowed to work.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewing experience was very minimal, leading me to expect that the job wouldn't entail as much responsibility as they say. Unfortunately, you will be responsible for MUCH more than expected, and poorly compensated for your skills.   Answer Question

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!