hhgregg Interview Questions & Reviews

111 interviews

2.0

Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at hhgregg in May 2009.

My first impression on showing up for my interview at hhgregg was being hounded by the sales team at the door. No less than 3 salespeople said hello and were all asking me how I was and if they could help me find something in the store. I'm a bit surprised a shouting match didn't ensue.

My interview was fairly normal, though I thought some of the questions were a bit touchy/feel-y for a sales job (i.e. what is your favorite hobby). There was also a part where I was asked to role-play as a salesperson for the interview. I found this part to be very strange, especially as I was asked to explain the difference between two models of televisions. The question the sales manager asked of me was, "So what makes this model here better than that one". No model numbers, no specs, no brand names. Just 'this vs. that'. I suppose I should have improvised and made something up, but apparently my imagination wasn't vivid enough to prepare me for that question. I know plenty about contrast ratios, 1080p vs 720p, brightness ratings, plasma vs lcd, dvi vs hdmi, HDCP compliance, etc, etc, but to just ask such a vague question seems a bit demanding. I would think they could at least have taken me out to the sales floor and had me stumble through it out there.

After my interview I was told that they just needed to run a background check on me, and that when that came through clear we'd move on from there. He said to expect a call within a week, but to call if I hadn't heard from him by then. A week passed, so I gave him a call to see what was going on. He informed me that he was still waiting on my background check, but that he'd give me a call when he got the results. 1 month later, and I haven't heard anything else from hhgregg.

Interview Questions
    • "So what's the difference between this model here, and this more expensive one?"   View Answer

Appliance Sales Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at hhgregg in March 2012.

I was contacted by e-mail after I applied online for a new store that would be opening within a month or so.. In this email I was asked when a good time to have a brief phone interview would be. I replied and a very nice man called me the next day and told me about the position. He asked me to come for a formal interview the next week. I spoke with him for about an hour and he asked the most questions I've ever been asked in an interview. After that he had presented me to the GM and was told about a scheduling conflict I had. Because I would miss one week of the two week training (which I assumed would cost me the job), I was put in the "pool" and would be contacted if they didn't care for other applicants or if some dropped out during training.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most memorable gift you've given recently?   Answer Question
    • "I'm a father trying to buy a fridge for my daughter's dorm room- sell me one."   Answer Question
    • After seeing our ads on TV, what suggestions would you make to increase sales for our company?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a customer brought an item to you that she found on a bargain table and it rang up full price?   Answer Question
    • What are you passionate about?
      If that answer is a 10 on a scale of one to10, how passionate would you be about working for hhgregg?
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at hhgregg in January 2013.

After recruiter phone interview and hiring manager phone interview, you will be invited to corporate office for team interview. Be Prepared for 4-5 people to fire questions at you related to design patterns, current projects, and OOP vocabulary. You also may want to know your favorite leader and why.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hhgregg in July 2011.

the interview process was way to long of a process, seemed very indifferent - they had a hard time talking sincerely about the company and the long term possiblities - heard the rumors about the company and tried asking honest questions - they werent very confident of who they were - - do you want to hire anyone?

Interview Questions
    • where do you want to be in the future -   View Answer

heard bad reviews and the interview process confirmed it - their offer was insulting

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg in June 2011.

managers were unprepared, had to wait, wore sports socks with suit and tie. completely tacky.

no ability to negotiate.

Wharehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I interviewed through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at hhgregg in June 2009.

Went to a job fair. was asked several questions about character, employee theft, and customer support.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if an angry customer came to you and was cursing at you?   View Answer
    • What would you do if you saw an employee or manager stealing anything.   View Answer
    Its full commision

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at hhgregg in October 2009.

I was one of one thousand that applied,had a one on one ,40 people were hired for 2 stores.

there was none

Electronics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at hhgregg.

You will go through at least 2 interviews that will consist of at least one with the Sales Manager and one with the Store Manager. The number 1 thing they are looking for is someone with retail sales experience. If you are very easy to talk to and open then that helps to show them that you can talk to anyone to help you sell products.

Interview Questions
    • The question they have a tendency to drill people on is why did you leave your last position, especially if was from another electronics retailer. They are looking to see if you got fired or not because they are very careful about making sure that they don't bring any trouble makers onto the sales floor.   View Answer
    There really isn't a negotiation phase to this type of job because it is commission. They are pretty open to what their employee need especially when they are strong sales people

Customer Service Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Merrillville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at hhgregg in April 2012.

called in for interview after applied online

the working times

Territory Commercial Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at hhgregg in October 2010.

I filled out an application online, about 2 weeks later I received a phone call and did a phone interview. Questions were based around my previous work experience. Then about my ability to work from home everyday without a boss right there, basically did I have the discipline to handle it. The key to the interview is to be confident about the results you can achieve and be completely honest. In a position like this where you work from home on your own schedule, you must be very disciplined and work five times as hard as anyone in a store enviroment.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have that makes you think you can achieve the required results of this job?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!