hhgregg

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg.

Two interviews, initial interview askign a lot of questions like why hhgregg, what assests can you bring to the table and such.

Second interview is an explanation of how you get paid and what you qualify for, here you find out the structure is hideous and so is the pay.

there was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg in November 2013.

Brief interview, was later ridiculed for keeping eye contact during the session.

There was none.

Electronic Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg in October 2013.

The interview was very basic. There weren't any questions you don't usually hear.

Appliance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hhgregg in October 2013.

I inquired about job openings in person, where the General Manager informed me of two open positions: full-time Electronics Sales Associate, and Customer Service Merchandiser. He directed me to apply online, then follow up with a phone call in a couple days so he could process the application on their end. I applied for the Customer Service Merchandiser position. Shortly after my follow up call, I was offered an interview for a few days later. I was over-prepared for the interview, as it only lasted 15 minutes. When I arrived for it, the Appliance Sales Manager I was interviewing with was busy, and encouraged me to look around the store. Then, he pulled up my application online looking for a copy of my resume, which I had printed out and brought with me. Looking it over, he felt I was qualified more as an Appliance Sales Associate, and even offered that, if interested, upper management was looking for new Managers in Training, and with my background he felt I'd be a "shoe-in." We went into his office, and we shared customer service experiences, from goofy to outlandishly foolish, and talked casually. He told me they were going to perform my background check, after which they'd follow up with a drug test. Assuming they were both unblemished, he'd like to see me on the schedule within a week of results. They received the results the following week, and the week after that I began training as an Appliance Sales Associate.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected was the lackadaisical, casual tone carried throughout the entire interaction. There seemed to be no structured interview questions; it certainly didn't feel like a professional interview.   Answer Question
    Because I was going from an hourly position to commission-based, there was no negotiation phase. Explanations of how we will make money, what they pay us for, were covered in the first day of the two day training all new associates must attend.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at hhgregg in September 2013.

Applied online for Management Trainee. Received call about 10 days later. asking for interview, and they explained they do not hire managers from outside, but from their sales floor. Was I interested? We set up the interview, and I studied all the info on this website in relation to this company, and wrote down every question in the interview segment. I then studied my answers to those questions. The interview was with the electronics sales manager and went well enough that he asked if I wanted to have my second interview (standard procedure) the same day. I waited in the general area 2 hours for the 2nd interview with the Appliance Manager, and this interview was more relaxed and informative. I was then told I was being considered for appliances. After the background check (3 days) and the drug test (1 day), I was hired. I later asked why appliances, and was told they like the "older, more mature" people on that side of the store because customers want to talk with people who have bought all these items themselves. The electronics side has many younger, but (commonly thought) tech savvy people to sell.

Interview Questions
    • 4 main questions were asked in the 1st interview. 1. Why do you want to work HERE? Not just any store, but HERE?
      2. Why should I hire you?
      **3. What do you know about Hhgregg? Study this one! It becomes part of the greeting to new customers.
      4. Tell me about yourself.

Answer Question
    No negotiation, pay is standard 100% commission. The breakdown is 1% all sold, plus 12% of the profit of each item, after cost. Pay also on service plans, 8%-22% with the more you sell, the more you make. The service plans with Hhgregg are actually a good value for the customer, as well as making you money.

Manager In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg.

I applied to a manager in training position. They hired me as a salesman with the understanding that after a month if i proved I could sell I would be put into the program. That unfortunately wasn't the end result, after a month I was informed that I needed to improve as a salesmen before I could get into the program. With the lack of business and the massive number of employees that were scheduled each day made it virtually impossible. In the meantime you make $8 an hour and they tell you most salesmen ave $18. Thats far from true they give you access to all the commission history after about a week you realize most employees make maybe $10 and a few top earner make $20.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at hhgregg in August 2013.

Very casual, just wanted to know if what my experience looked like as far as sales. Not structured or interrogational at all. Now I understand why. They pretty much will hire anyone with minimal sales experience.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to get out of this?   View Answer
    No negotiation. THis is strictly commission or you make minimum wage or minimum wage x 1.5 if you go over 40 hours and they will make you pay back that draw.

Warehouse Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at hhgregg.

Don' remember the interview much. I do remember them trying to push me into being a salesman.

Don' remember

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at hhgregg in July 2013.

simple, unprofessional interview. walked in and asked for the manager. he came out and we went through some simple experience questions, and it was over.

Appliance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at hhgregg in July 2013.

My interviewer was two hours late . Finally showed up , no apology or reason. Showed u looking disheveled and out of it. I was hired . I should have read the writing on the wall.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Commissioned sales.