hhgregg Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.0

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg.

Interview

The interview process at HHGregg was extremely unprofessional and quite frankly, embarrassing. I completed the application process through the website which allows you to send your resume, do a basic online application, and then complete an assessment. I was then contacted by a senior store manager shortly after. We talked briefly on the phone and then set up an interview at a store location relatively close to my home. After that was all set up, I decided to do a little research about the company before my interview. I looked into it’s reputation amongst present and past employees, as well as its financials and overall success as a retailer. I was very turned off by what I read, and quite honestly had little desire to commit to HHGregg at that point. However, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to interview. The day before the interview the store manager I was dealing with contacts me to tell me he can’t do the interview at the store (by my home) the we agreed on, and asks me to drive to a store an hour away for the interview. However, he says that his District Manager will be at this new store and after the first interview, I can do a 2nd one with this DM right on the spot. I say ok and head out the following day. After arriving 10 minutes early, I am told the my interviewer is running late. So I wait around for over 30 minutes and he finally shows. So we conduct the interview. It goes well. A typical behavioral interview. I was asked several questions about my past experience and specific situations I’ve dealt with in my retail management career. He also talked about the company and some basics of the position itself. We finish the interview and he tells me that the DM is not available for the 2nd interview he promised me the previous day, but he will will call me in the next day or two to set it up. I then gave him my availability for the next week or so, and we concluded things there. Well a week goes by and he calls me back (didn’t he say he’d contact me in a day or two?) to set up this 2nd interview. He apparently completely ignored the availability I gave him at the 1st interview cause he wanted to schedule it on a day and time I wasn’t available. So anyway, we settle on a day. Then the day comes and I receive a call about an hour before the interview by the same manager telling me he has to cancel the interview and wants to reschedule! At this point, I was DONE, but I said ok, and we settled on a new day. Now at this point he is giving me the impression that I pretty much have this job and the 2nd interview was merely a formality. He is asking me about my availability to complete the steps I will need to go through after the 2nd interview is done. One of which apparently includes driving FOUR HOURS OUT OF STATE to do God knows what the day after the interview! What?! At this point I’m struggling to hold back laughter. So I decide to cut ties with this ridiculousness and send an email to the store manager I had been dealing with all along where I told him I had received an offer from another company and would not be continuing with the process. I also very graciously thanked him for the time and interest. I received no response back, which much like the entire process, I found to be very unprofessional. And I do know the email had been received because at times we had been communicating through email throughout the process. So in closing, I found this whole process representative of the company who’s reputation and overall success in the industry is shaky at best. If your options are limited, perhaps HHGregg is a workplace worth considering. Otherwise, BEWARE.

Interview Questions

• "Describe a time where you were challenged ethically."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at hhgregg (Atlanta, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

Pretty Easy. I just came in and sat down with the sales manager and he asked me a few questions. They were really look to replace someone who had just left.

Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at hhgregg (Aurora, IL).

Interview

Aside from the issues I had with my throwaway email address being locked (I applied to the wrong store and had to use the throwaway to make a new account), the interview process was rather simple. You go in, answer rather basic questions and converse briefly with the manager before he gives you a rundown of your position. This is where everything goes to hell, as the position he describes is not the position you work. When I worked there, I was told I would be driving a forklift all day but ended up sweeping and moving appliances. And by sweeping, I mean sweeping the entire warehouse, repeatedly. Take that into consideration when s/he's detailing the job, as a buddy of mine was told he'd be building furniture and that's all he was told to expect, but rarely ever did (he swept too). All-in-all, don't expect to be doing what you were hired to do at all. They will put you where they need you and if you're afraid of heights like me, that's a big problem. To make matters worse, I waited an hour in nearly empty conference room for the interview to begin, despite arriving 5 minutes early.

Interview Questions

• They were really basic and He spent most of the time explaining in great detail which job I would (read: wouldn't) be doing while I was there.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much for negotiation: I was told what the position paid initially, and then the raise I would get after passing a probationary period (to the best of my knowledge, no one made it passed the probationary period aside from temps who wouldn't get a raise anyway.)

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg.

Interview

Know your strengths and have specific examples

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Based on experience

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg.

Interview

Simple interview process but you'll have to prove yourself on the sales floor. Can be a challenge depending on traffic and if other tenure associates are trying to snake your sales. Your experience can vary depending on location

Interview Questions

• Name three cities you would like to work prefer to work at?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated my rate based on my education and sales performance

Electronic Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hhgregg.

Interview

1 on 1 interview with the sales manager. Typically asks about experience and how you are with people. Pretty easy interview overall.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Basic personality questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, you make what you make. Draw is minimum wage * hours worked. If you make above that, that's how you set your own salary.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at hhgregg.

Interview

I initially went inside the store and spoke to the manager about applying for a position; he referred me to the company website and asked me to call him after I completed the application. I completed the application and the 100+ questionnaire and called the manager, he told me he would review the application and get back to me the same day. Two weeks later he called me to schedule an interview. I came in for the interview, and we sat in the furniture area of the sales floor. It was very relaxed; all the questions asked were in an easy format to respond to and were majorly get-to-know-you questions. A few weeks later I was then drug screened for the position and never heard from HH Gregg again. The results were negative for anything and I have not received any notification as to why or if I was declined for the position. Throughout this process it was impossible to get in contact with a manager at the store and felt that It was not worth my time to continue waiting for any kind of response.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if the phone is constantly ringing while you are checking out a customer with no other associates available to answer the call.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg.

Interview

Two interviews, initial interview askign a lot of questions like why hhgregg, what assests can you bring to the table and such. Second interview is an explanation of how you get paid and what you qualify for, here you find out the structure is hideous and so is the pay.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hhgregg (Greensboro, GA) in November 2013.

Interview

Brief interview, was later ridiculed for keeping eye contact during the session.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Appliance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hhgregg (Glen Burnie, MD) in October 2013.

Interview

I inquired about job openings in person, where the General Manager informed me of two open positions: full-time Electronics Sales Associate, and Customer Service Merchandiser. He directed me to apply online, then follow up with a phone call in a couple days so he could process the application on their end. I applied for the Customer Service Merchandiser position. Shortly after my follow up call, I was offered an interview for a few days later. I was over-prepared for the interview, as it only lasted 15 minutes. When I arrived for it, the Appliance Sales Manager I was interviewing with was busy, and encouraged me to look around the store. Then, he pulled up my application online looking for a copy of my resume, which I had printed out and brought with me. Looking it over, he felt I was qualified more as an Appliance Sales Associate, and even offered that, if interested, upper management was looking for new Managers in Training, and with my background he felt I'd be a "shoe-in." We went into his office, and we shared customer service experiences, from goofy to outlandishly foolish, and talked casually. He told me they were going to perform my background check, after which they'd follow up with a drug test. Assuming they were both unblemished, he'd like to see me on the schedule within a week of results. They received the results the following week, and the week after that I began training as an Appliance Sales Associate.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was the lackadaisical, casual tone carried throughout the entire interaction. There seemed to be no structured interview questions; it certainly didn't feel like a professional interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because I was going from an hourly position to commission-based, there was no negotiation phase. Explanations of how we will make money, what they pay us for, were covered in the first day of the two day training all new associates must attend.