hmv

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at hmv

Interview Details – I applied throughout the HMV website and within 2 weeks they called me for an interview. The interview was held in a function room and was relatively quick, I was asked questions about my back ground in retail and my education.

Interview Question – They asked about my music taste, I know that this seems relatively minor but when put on the spot it can be hard to remember what you actually like!   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Marketing Executive
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at hmv in May 2014.

Interview Details – Two Interview Rounds -
First interview was with the HR Manager and the Head of Marketing. First interview was approximately an hour and a half - informal atmosphere albeit a little disorganised - interviewing room was in use although booked and we had to find another, my CV was not there - thank god I had brought another. I had to fill out a aptitude test on arrival. The questions were direct and probing - a lot about my background and what I would do in certain situations.
Second interview was with the HR Manager, Head of Marketing and another member of the marketing staff. Interview was approximately 45 mins. it was focused on my personality and how it would fit into the team, my background and my future plans.

Interview Question – As I have not travelled, would this become an issue if I decided to leave to pursue this.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at hmv in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very friendly, relaxed group interview. We were given a piece of paper to write our name, then an actress/ actor who would play us in a film and our favourite superhero. We went around the group to explain our choices. We were then split into two group to do a task on customer service and explain our answers back to the other tram and manager. The last task was to sell an item from the store to the manager - this was very laid back!

Interview Question – Who is your favourite superhero? Who would would play you in a film?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Christmas temp

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Sales Interview

Seasonal Sales
Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at hmv in November 2013.

Interview Details – The manager hired all of us on the spot! She wanted us to work on the floor to see how well we do the first week, and make her decision to keep the strong ones for the holidays.

Interview Question – No questions, just had to fill out our government employment forms!   Answer Question

Plymouth, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hmv in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, were I completed competency based questions, questions about why I wanted to work for HMV. I don't think there were any tests.

I then recieved a phone call a week later for an interview. It was a group interview, with about 8 other people. It was a very informal interview, we had to say who our favourite super hero was, give examples of good customer service and finally sell a product to the two interviewers choice, I had to sell an Ipad but other people had to sell a bottle of Coke and a DVD.

I was then phoned a week later to say I had got the job and they wanted to me to start the next day, they were pretty flexible about this because I couldn't start until the following Monday.

Interview Question – What is your favourite super hero?
What do you think good customer service involves?
Sell a product to the rest of the group.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at hmv in January 2008.

Interview Details – One interview, simple and personal. Questions included favourite movies, genres and knowledge of latest releases.
Similar questions for music.
Asked about consoles that you own and to review the video games you play.

Interview Question – Reviewing the video game that you last played.   Answer Question

Store Clerk Interview

Store Clerk
Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at hmv in November 2010.

Interview Details – Know what HMV stands for (His Master's Voice), Know which products they sell. I was asked 3 reasons why a person would tell you that 'they're just looking', remember theft is one. I was asked how I would assist an elderly lady shopping for her grandson, offered gift card, headphones, etc. I was asked why I want to work there, hint 'i've always wanted to work at a cd shop' is not a good enough answer. they are a multi media shop and mention that. also they are over 120 years old, it's a british company, and canadian, not origionating in america like most people think.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate anything, this was an offer for a temporary seasonal job with potential to be a regular employee after the season.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!