hmv

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.1

Christmas Temp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hereford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hereford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at hmv in November 2014.

Applied online, the application wasn't hard. Just the usual type of application with a few questions about what music/films/games you're in to.

Didn't hear anything back from them for nearly a month! But they finally got back to me by telephone inviting me in for an interview.

The interview was very laid back. First thing I did was fill out a sheet of paper with questions about music games films and all sorts. Just to see how your knowledge is. Then the second part was just a quick one to one interview just to speak about my past experience and where I've worked and once again to talk about what hobbies and things you're in to. Very laid back and easy interview.

Interview Questions
    Wage was non negotiable because it was Xmas temp. But they did say if it was a permanent job then the wage would go up.

Christmas Temp Interview

I applied online – interviewed at hmv in November 2014.

Applied online, the majority of the interview was conducted on the application. It was an easy, casual application but took longer than some others. I received a phone call asking me to attend an interview about a week after I submitted the application.

It was a group interview, with six candidates including myself. The process went like this:
    - We introduced ourselves and had to say which superhero we could relate to the most and why.
    - We were then split into two groups and had to decide amongst ourselves the top three qualities needed for the role.
    - The interviewers brought in a box of random items from the shelves, and we had to choose something from the box and then try and sell it to the group.
    - We then had to choose a product we were passionate about i.e. a game, album, etc. and sell it to the group.

There was an opportunity to ask questions at the end and they told us when we should expect to hear from them. The dress code was mixed, some were wearing smart clothes and some wearing casual. I would recommend wearing black trousers, smart shoes and a plain top (smart casual). I went dressed up a little too much as I wasn't sure what to expect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hmv in October 2014.

This is a group interview. We were seated around a table at the back of the local store and had to write our names on pieces of paper. We were then asked:

- to introduce ourselves, explain which areas we are interested in, why and what recent releases we could recommend and why (so prepare by doing, listening to or watching something released in the last year).
    - give an idea of what you think good customer service is
    - put aspects of the job together in order of importance and explain why (as a group)
    - they will give you scenarios and you explain (as a group) how you'd deal with them
    - sell them an item you pick from the basket (notice details)

Interview Questions
    • the selling a product part. you will likely need to recommend something to go with it so brush up on your knowledge (film themes/similar CDs/games etc.)   View Answer
    • recommend a recent release (or something released this year) only because i hadn't really bought anything this year and the thing i had consumed i got out of the library thank f~.   View Answer

I have no idea if I got it or not yet but that is not an option on here. I hope I didn't (personal reasons/I want to do something else with my life) but good luck to you all. just thought i'd fill this in while it was fresh in my mind.

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied throughout the HMV website and within 2 weeks they called me for an interview. The interview was held in a function room and was relatively quick, I was asked questions about my back ground in retail and my education.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my music taste, I know that this seems relatively minor but when put on the spot it can be hard to remember what you actually like!   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at hmv in May 2014.

Two Interview Rounds -
    First interview was with the HR Manager and the Head of Marketing. First interview was approximately an hour and a half - informal atmosphere albeit a little disorganised - interviewing room was in use although booked and we had to find another, my CV was not there - thank god I had brought another. I had to fill out a aptitude test on arrival. The questions were direct and probing - a lot about my background and what I would do in certain situations.
    Second interview was with the HR Manager, Head of Marketing and another member of the marketing staff. Interview was approximately 45 mins. it was focused on my personality and how it would fit into the team, my background and my future plans.

Interview Questions
    • As I have not travelled, would this become an issue if I decided to leave to pursue this.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at hmv in November 2013.

The manager hired all of us on the spot! She wanted us to work on the floor to see how well we do the first week, and make her decision to keep the strong ones for the holidays.

Interview Questions
    • No questions, just had to fill out our government employment forms!   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hmv in October 2013.

Very friendly, relaxed group interview. We were given a piece of paper to write our name, then an actress/ actor who would play us in a film and our favourite superhero. We went around the group to explain our choices. We were then split into two group to do a task on customer service and explain our answers back to the other tram and manager. The last task was to sell an item from the store to the manager - this was very laid back!

Interview Questions
    • Who is your favourite superhero? Who would would play you in a film?   Answer Question
    Christmas temp

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at hmv in November 2012.

I applied online, were I completed competency based questions, questions about why I wanted to work for HMV. I don't think there were any tests.

I then recieved a phone call a week later for an interview. It was a group interview, with about 8 other people. It was a very informal interview, we had to say who our favourite super hero was, give examples of good customer service and finally sell a product to the two interviewers choice, I had to sell an Ipad but other people had to sell a bottle of Coke and a DVD.

I was then phoned a week later to say I had got the job and they wanted to me to start the next day, they were pretty flexible about this because I couldn't start until the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favourite super hero?
      What do you think good customer service involves?
      Sell a product to the rest of the group.

Answer Question

Store Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at hmv in November 2010.

Know what HMV stands for (His Master's Voice), Know which products they sell. I was asked 3 reasons why a person would tell you that 'they're just looking', remember theft is one. I was asked how I would assist an elderly lady shopping for her grandson, offered gift card, headphones, etc. I was asked why I want to work there, hint 'i've always wanted to work at a cd shop' is not a good enough answer. they are a multi media shop and mention that. also they are over 120 years old, it's a british company, and canadian, not origionating in america like most people think.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't able to negotiate anything, this was an offer for a temporary seasonal job with potential to be a regular employee after the season.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at hmv in January 2008.

One interview, simple and personal. Questions included favourite movies, genres and knowledge of latest releases.
    Similar questions for music.
    Asked about consoles that you own and to review the video games you play.