hmv Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.2

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied throughout the HMV website and within 2 weeks they called me for an interview. The interview was held in a function room and was relatively quick, I was asked questions about my back ground in retail and my education.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my music taste, I know that this seems relatively minor but when put on the spot it can be hard to remember what you actually like!   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at hmv in May 2014.

Two Interview Rounds -
    First interview was with the HR Manager and the Head of Marketing. First interview was approximately an hour and a half - informal atmosphere albeit a little disorganised - interviewing room was in use although booked and we had to find another, my CV was not there - thank god I had brought another. I had to fill out a aptitude test on arrival. The questions were direct and probing - a lot about my background and what I would do in certain situations.
    Second interview was with the HR Manager, Head of Marketing and another member of the marketing staff. Interview was approximately 45 mins. it was focused on my personality and how it would fit into the team, my background and my future plans.

Interview Questions
    • As I have not travelled, would this become an issue if I decided to leave to pursue this.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at hmv in October 2013.

Very friendly, relaxed group interview. We were given a piece of paper to write our name, then an actress/ actor who would play us in a film and our favourite superhero. We went around the group to explain our choices. We were then split into two group to do a task on customer service and explain our answers back to the other tram and manager. The last task was to sell an item from the store to the manager - this was very laid back!

Interview Questions
    • Who is your favourite superhero? Who would would play you in a film?   Answer Question
    Christmas temp

Seasonal Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at hmv in November 2013.

The manager hired all of us on the spot! She wanted us to work on the floor to see how well we do the first week, and make her decision to keep the strong ones for the holidays.

Interview Questions
    • No questions, just had to fill out our government employment forms!   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plymouth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at hmv in November 2012.

I applied online, were I completed competency based questions, questions about why I wanted to work for HMV. I don't think there were any tests.

I then recieved a phone call a week later for an interview. It was a group interview, with about 8 other people. It was a very informal interview, we had to say who our favourite super hero was, give examples of good customer service and finally sell a product to the two interviewers choice, I had to sell an Ipad but other people had to sell a bottle of Coke and a DVD.

I was then phoned a week later to say I had got the job and they wanted to me to start the next day, they were pretty flexible about this because I couldn't start until the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favourite super hero?
      What do you think good customer service involves?
      Sell a product to the rest of the group.
        Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at hmv in January 2008.

One interview, simple and personal. Questions included favourite movies, genres and knowledge of latest releases.
    Similar questions for music.
    Asked about consoles that you own and to review the video games you play.

Store Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at hmv in November 2010.

Know what HMV stands for (His Master's Voice), Know which products they sell. I was asked 3 reasons why a person would tell you that 'they're just looking', remember theft is one. I was asked how I would assist an elderly lady shopping for her grandson, offered gift card, headphones, etc. I was asked why I want to work there, hint 'i've always wanted to work at a cd shop' is not a good enough answer. they are a multi media shop and mention that. also they are over 120 years old, it's a british company, and canadian, not origionating in america like most people think.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't able to negotiate anything, this was an offer for a temporary seasonal job with potential to be a regular employee after the season.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!