iCIMS Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.7

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iCIMS.

Interview

2 phone conversations, a video cv submission and an in-person interview. I was given no detailed information regarding who I was meeting with, or where to go. No sort of logistics at all -- just a gmail calendar invite for the meeting time and date. The interview was not well-planned and the practical portion was unexpected and pretty useless. Seriously, for a company that specializes in making the recruiting and hiring process simpler for other folks, they should really consider taking a look inwards to make their own recruiting process smoother.

Interview Questions

• The generic number one question of all time -- "Tell us about yourself"   Answer Question

General Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matawan, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iCIMS (Matawan, NJ).

Interview

Phone screening followed by submission of video cover letter followed by on-site interview. E-mail communication seemed very automated and cold, which was a huge downfall of the process. The recruiter and hiring manager though were very friendly in person. Process was quite in depth and required a lot of stages.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time where you were in a leadership role?   Answer Question

Manager, Software Development/Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matawan, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at iCIMS (Matawan, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone screen; followed by a 30 - 45 minute phone interview with hiring manager; followed by on-site interview marathon (4 - 5 hours) with three panel/group sessions and one-on-one with hiring manager. Overall, process was good. Recruiter was in contact and the time between stages was less than a week. I don't know if it is because the company sells software to help improve the recruitment process (and they use it of course!) or the Recruiter was very motivated and enjoyed his/her job or they are hiring a lot of people or a combination of all of these, but this interview process was by far the quickest I have experienced. People at the company are very nice (at least the ones I interacted with). Although the on-site interview process is long and tiring, it was actually a good use of my and their time. However, by the end, when having my one-on-one with the hiring manager, I was pretty burnt out and most of my questions had already been asked and answered by the other people.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The interview I had with iCIMS was simple. The recruiter did more talking about himself than asking me questions and it turned me off from the company. Overall the initial phone interview took much longer than it should have

General Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matawan, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at iCIMS (Matawan, NJ).

Interview

Applied online via company's site. Received a call in less than one week. Scheduled phone interview with screener. Call/screening went very well. Called back the next morning for scheduling face to face interview. Interview was a group interview. Discussed company and position requirements, as well as my experience for the position. Interview was lengthy. At end of interview, there was a vague explanation of their hiring process. Interviewers seemed unsure of the time frame. Company then made no effort to inform me of their decision. Then, they reposted the job I interviewed for online. I reached out to the company numerous times via email and direct call. Finally received call back with a generic "we went with someone else..." decision. According to the CEO, Colin Day, the two qualities they look for in an employee is "passion, and drive." Well, apparently not. Despite the gregarious, insightful, well prepared demeanor I brought to my interview, despite having a rich software background as well as years of experience in a similar SaaS environment, I was not selected for position. For a company whose core function is Talent Acquisition, it is most unprofessional that they make no effort to communicate with applicants post interview. If you read other reviews, you will see this is a chronic pattern with them. Preparing for your interview by studying their product, company history, philosophy, seems unimportant at conclusion of interview. They barely touch upon any of these. Consensus among post interview discussion with other hiring professionals, is that company most likely offers below market value for position.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself as a cultural fit in this company? Why do you want to work for iCIMS? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? 10 years from now? Can you tell us of a time where you were failed to accomplish a task assigned to you? Can you tell us of a time where you had to work with others as a team to complete a project or task. In addition, a few technical questions were asked. After successfully answering these questions, interviewers provide a false sense of assurance that you are considered by them to be a strong candidate.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at iCIMS.

Interview

Firstly, received a link to do coding challenge. It is not difficult. Quickly, received the email to schedule an initial phone screen interview. However, nobody called me when I was waiting for the interview. Then, the recruiter sent an email saying that he was in a meeting and scheduled another interview for me one week later. Again, he didn't call me when the rescheduled interview time came. He wrote another email saying that he'd like to reschedule again and didn't explain the reason. OK, we scheduled another. Once more, he didn't call as I expected. And this time he didn't even email me. I emailed him asking what was happening. He said he was sorry and would ask another recruiter to help me reachedule. 2 weeks later, I received the email saying there's no more space and the application is closed. It was a very unorganized company and they are so weired. They don't care how applicants feel and waste their time.

College Recruitment Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at iCIMS.

Interview

The interview process was short in terms of steps. The first step was a phone interview that was relatively elaborate for a phone interview. It was very positive and left off with an invitation for a final in person interview. This is where the process went downhill for me. I met with 4 people including the Director of Talent Acquisition and the Talent Acquisition Manager. Everyone was welcoming and pleasant in terms of personality but the experience itself was much unorganized. There was so much time in between interviews (20+ minutes) that at times I was wondering if they forgot about me. In terms of the questions, they were very vague, lacked depth, and were certainly not behavioral based questions. The questions did not offer the opportunity to shared depth in my experience and how my accomplishments in the past would serve the organizations key initiatives in the future. Also, since the interviews were so rushed, I did not have the opportunity to ask questions myself. Overall the in person experience was 2.5 hours, about 25% of which was me waiting for the next interviewer to walk in. It was very inefficient, unprofessional, and quite frankly disappointing. I really had “hire expectations” of a talent acquisition software company catering to the TALENT ACQUISITION COMMUNITY. I left with as positive of a feeling as one can have after such an interview. Naturally, I came home and wrote my follow up/thank you e-mails to each individual I met. The response I received from the director clearly implied there would be “next steps.” The next communication I received from ICIMS was a very cookie cutter automated disqualification e-mail. Ironically, their signature reemphasized the ICIMS “hire expectations” tag line and “love ICIMS? Refer a Friend!” Why does ICIMS think that such a low caliber interview process and impersonal closing communication warrants referring a candidate? The bottom line is the job market has turned and the battle for talent is becoming increasingly difficult. If this organization plans to follow through on their plans of “doubling their population” they better recognize how critical candidate perception is. It’s a shame because I believe they have a good product and what I understand is a good company culture. If you are going to have a candidate spend 2.5 hours in your office, have the integrity and decency to pick up the phone and have a 60 second conversation with them to let them know they were not selected. With 30+ years of Talent Acquisition experience between the Director of TA and Manager of TA, I really expected better.

Interview Questions

• Very vague questions about my background. Questions were not tailored to my candidacy or the depth of the position.   Answer Question

iCIMS Response

Mar 13, 2015 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your transparency and sharing your interview experience. We regret that your experience was not a positive one. We appreciate every opportunity to enhance the candidate experience, so ... More

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iCIMS.

Interview

I submitted my resume for the position. Shortly after I received a standard rejection e-mail. Months later I received an email offering an interview for the position. I made my way to their offices for the day and met with their team, including their General Counsel (who is now their CFO). I would say that all the interviewers were dismissive but none worse than the GC. Not only was he extremely bullish, he took a personal call on his cell mid-interview and left the room for a good ten minutes. I could see him talking outside the door. At that point, I didn't care whether or not I received the job--I could never work for someone so arrogant.

Interview Questions

• Where do you start when reviewing contracts.   1 Answer

Lead Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matawan, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at iCIMS (Matawan, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their web site. I got an email asking for a time for a phone interview relatively quickly, about 5 days later. I was required to take an online computer programming test through codility.com I scheduled the test about a week later. The test had 3 questions. Two questions required writing code in a single method. The third question dealt with debugging a problem which worked correctly for some test cases but failed for others. You could change no more than 2 lines of code. I was given about 2 hours to complete all 3 questions. The codility.com site has sample questions. It is very helpful to complete some of these question so you know what to expect. The format is the same. Never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• Why did I choose to interview with ICIMS?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matawan, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at iCIMS (Matawan, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

I am a recent graduate with MS in CS. I had a good experience with the interview, though I wasn't offered a position. There were a total of 9 rounds and I want to share this experience for the benefit of those who want to work there. First I got the online coding test, with 3 questions, which is pretty much what everyone had previously added. IDE is friendly. There are 2 coding questions and 1 debugging a code. This is moderately easy. Next was a phone screen with technical recruiter, related to resume, nothing technical. Next was another phone screening with a senior architect, not very technical, pretty much resume and HR questions Then I was invited onsite at Matawan. The office is nice, not too huge or glamorous but good. I had 5 rounds onsite, 4 technical and 1 HR and a team lunch. 1st technical,1 hr, Compare versions eg: 10.1.1 and 10.1.2, consider various cases. and create a tree, given nodes, this question has a lot of checks and iterations so takes time. I basically ran out of time. 2nd is a design: to design a tree for a string like 2+3 -4, operating on tree gives the result. high level designing, consider abstract classes and interfaces to do this. 3rd was more of algorithm based, asked the zip code and radius question and other OOPs questions, no programming involved 4th was a UI based, HTML, CSS, Javascript. I was not prepared for this at all since it was not mentioned anywhere in online descriptions that this will be done. Neither I was told that they would ask any UI based questions. 5th was general, CV based round 6th was team lunch. I got in for interview at 9 and left around 2:30. After about a week I was informed about rejection. I did not find any problems with interview process, though I feel 9 rounds at entry level is a tad too much. I wasn't perfect with my answers so I wasn't too disappointed.

Interview Questions

• If you are given set of Zip codes and radius, how will you find out the zip codes within the given radius. Consider entire USA.   Answer Question