iMentor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at iMentor

Witheld Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at iMentor.

Interview

iMentor has a pretty refined and professional method for interviewing. Received an email, requesting a phone interview along with a few slots from which to choose. Interviewer was prompt, approachable and thorough. Questions were akin to those found on Glassdoor. Interviewer was open and honest when answering my questions about the job and culture. Awaiting word about in-person interview.

College Success Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at iMentor (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. Next, I had a phone interview with someone in the hiring team which lasted 30 minutes. Next, I did an in person interview with the program director. Last, I came in and did a mock lesson for 3 staff members, did a Skype interview with someone in New York, and did a final interview with the program director.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had a student who didn't like their mentor?   Answer Question

Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I did not hear from iMentor for over 5 months after submitting my application. Suddenly, I hear from them on a Thursday, asking me to do a phone interview the next afternoon (Friday). On the phone interview I was offered an in person interview for the coming Monday. I was told that I would receive further information by the end of the week and I had a pretty good feeling. By the following Monday, I had not received any further information, so I wrote to my HR contact, who told me I would not be moving forward in the process, but provided no further details. I was discouraged, and tried to seek further information, but to no avail. While I feel that this is a great organization, I was a bit surprised by the length of time between my application, and my interviews, and then how quickly the interview process transpired. I am still inspired by their work, but feeling a bit deflated after my experiences with them.

Interview Questions

• Was asked how I would help a staff person who encountered a student at their school site who was dismissive of iMentor's mission, and saw the program as a way for White Middle Class folks to feel better about themselves   1 Answer

National Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

The extent of my interview was a screening call with the head of recruitment as well as a one on one with several persons in the organization. I was not offered the position. I believe they wanted more management and non-profit experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you managed a team? How big was it and how did you manage them?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Volunteer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied to the job online and received an invitation for a phone interview rather quickly, like about 3 days. The phone interview was with the HR coordinator and it was about 30 minutes. It was a decent interview because she actually had a list of questions to ask that were relevant to the position. Then I was told that the next step is an in person interview and that I would hear about it within a certain time frame. I did hear within that certain time frame and was invited for an in person interview. I met with the same HR coordinator and with the hiring manager (the one who would oversee the position). I did my home work prior to the interview and reviewed their website. They post the bios of all the staff on their site. I noticed that the person who would be interviewing me had a lot less experience than me and I confirmed this when reading her LinkedIn profile. So I was a bit weary going into the interview. I was told the interview would last 45 minutes but it actually was about 25 to 30 minutes. During the interview with the two of them, I was given a series of behavioral questions. I got the sense from their questions and my responses that I was overqualified for the position. I was told that I would be coming in for another round to do a presentation. But instead, I was not selected for the position. They ended up filling the position and I found his bio on their site and LinkedIn. My suspicions were correct. He is nothing but a glorified admin which is not what I want. They did me a favor by not selecting me. However, I feel like they wasted my time. Clearly they were looking for just an admin.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a group of high powered executives to become a mentor?   Answer Question