iRobot Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.9

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at iRobot.

First round was a quick phone interview with marketing manager going over basic skills and requirements. A few days later, I had an interview in person with the same manager. Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is a challenging experience you have faced when working with teams? How did you overcome this?   Answer Question
    • Explain some of your previous work experiences.   Answer Question
    • Is there a certain case study or project that you have gained insight from? Explain.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at iRobot in December 2014.

I believe a recruiter found my LinkedIn profile and sent me an email to see if I was interested. I was open to see if it would be a good mutual fit. Had an initial phone screen with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then two onsite interviews that took a half day each (3 or 4 one on one interviews lasting about 45 minutes each with other principal engineers, program managers, 1 director. Since I lived in the area the total process from phone interview to the final round of on-site interviews was about 4 weeks. Received an offer a few days later.

Everyone was polite and friendly and instead of waiting for questions and then answering them, try to be personable and make it more into a mutual dialogue and conversation. I would say a good balance be to keep the dialogue 60/40 at the onsite interview. 60% let the interviewer talk and ask questions while 40% you can take time to respond and also ask some relevant/good questions. For some interviewers they may be busy about their day and may not have even read your resume. In that case be prepared to "lead" the discussions and maybe more of a 50/50 dialogue. Smile, stay friendly, and flexible. Definitely have a few good questions for the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific project you've worked on from start to finish and the results.   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at iRobot.

The process was very thorough, professional and informative. I was originally contacted by an in-house recruiter who conducted a first phone screen and remained the main point of contact throughout. She was one of the most intelligent and helpful recruiters I have dealt with. Then there was an onsite interview with the hiring manager, and then I was invited for the full interview day in which i spoke to 7-8 researchers. They were all very friendly and intelligent and open about answering my questions about the company.

Interview Questions
    • One engineer asked me to figure out how the existing product's homing algorithm might work, from minimal clues.   Answer Question

Associate Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at iRobot.

I applied online and got a response asking for a phone interview within a few days. Since I'm not in the Boston area, I had two technical phone interviews, and then they decided not to bring me in on-site - no offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot about embedded systems (expected) and went into some detail with object-oriented programming.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at iRobot.

Applied online through company website. Got a call in couple of days from the recruiter. My profile matched (or exceeded) 100% to what they were looking for, the role/expertise required was somewhat niche. One phone interview with another engineering individual, after which I got invited for an in-person daylong marathon interview session with at least 8-10 managers, PMs, engineers. Most of the interviewers had no clue about the role or the kind of questions they should be asking (some of them accepted that when I was asked if I had any questions!). Most of the questions were based of previous experience, behavioral. The whole process was super easy, but seemed unnecessary, as by the time I got through hiring manager's interview (2nd in the day), I know I had the job. If you can talk crap intelligently, you'll thrive in interviews at this place.

Interview Questions
    • Most interviewers had no clue about role I was being interviewed for or why they are even there. No difficulty in getting through them. Most 30 min interviews lasted 20 min, where I asked questions for 15.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at iRobot in July 2014.

Straightforward round robin 3 people. We sat in a conference room, discussed some of my previous positions and design experiences, they trumpeted how great their company was blah blah. Eventually we had a simple design scenario wherein they tried to put me on the spot, I solved their problem the manages asked everyone else to leave and he asked me how much.

HRBP Role Interview

I was interviewed via phone. I was told that I had a great background and it was one of the best resumes and phone interview they had so far in the hiring for the role. I was told they would definitely call me back to interview and I never heard from them again.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at iRobot.

Talked to 4 different people for a full day company visit. Was asked a lot about past projects and brought in samples of my work. Some technical questions on engineering principles. Some technical questions on their robots and what they do.

Interview Questions
    • How do our robots detect when they are approaching stairs or a ledge?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at iRobot in February 2014.

After resume's submitted they will contact you for a phone interview. During this interview they will ask you in depth questions about your projects, as well as conceptual questions. Brush up on your basic equations

Interview Questions
    • if you are in a canoe in a pool holding a bowling ball and you drop the bowling ball into the pool, what happens to the level of the pool   Answer Question
    Awesome experience, take it.

Product Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at iRobot.

Was two stages, the first was an interview with 3 product managers and was asked behavioural questions and technical questions. The second round was to do a SWOT analysis on the company's main product and present it to the team.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that your customers remain loyal and keep buying your product?   Answer Question