iRobot Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iRobot.

Interview

3 Phone interviews and 1 full day interview. Process was fairly simple and pleasant with medium to difficult questions. Mostly scenario based questioning. The in-person interview was a very similar line of questioning to the phone interviews. Seemed like a bit of overkill and was redundant at times.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult situation you recently faced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Associate Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iRobot (Bedford, MA).

Interview

Talked about the opportunities at a career fair. I applied online for several positions. An administrator contacted me to schedule a phone interview. It was postponed twice or three times before I talked with a software engineer, who asked me to sketch some algorithms and code online. Then I got two on-site interviews, both of which took several hours. Most of the questions were about easy control algorithm design and low-level implementations.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at iRobot (Bedford, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen was a strict Q&A where the screener fired off a long laundry list of questions related to a broad spectrum of technologies, languages and features. If that goes well you will you will be give a coding exercise to take home. Then if that goes well you will be invited in for an in-person interview with 4+ people for 45 min one-on-one sessions.

Interview Questions

• Q: (White Board) Write a method to reverse a string. Q: (White Board) Write a method find a value in a binary tree.   Answer Question

Associate Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at iRobot (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was canceled 1 hour before the schedule time. The HR sent the email to tell me this tragedy because they already found someone for that position. The interesting thing is the interviewer, who is the senior software engineer, still called me and didn't know about cancelling. It seems they don't have good communication between HR and engineer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at iRobot (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

1 round coding test, 2 rounds of phone interview. Asking technical details of Java. No coding challenge at all. All old fashioned engineers over there. The coding test took too long, they shouldn't do this to waste applicants time.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at iRobot.

Interview

First round was a quick phone interview with marketing manager going over basic skills and requirements. A few days later, I had an interview in person with the same manager. Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenging experience you have faced when working with teams? How did you overcome this?   Answer Question
    • Explain some of your previous work experiences.   Answer Question
    • Is there a certain case study or project that you have gained insight from? Explain.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iRobot (Bedford, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

One full day interview with nine management stakeholders. We followed up with 4 additional one hour phone conversations on technical role, and others on HR aspects. Each member of the management knew exactly what they expected and addressed responsibilities that would interact with their respective group. Impressive and intense technical focus yet comfortable personal interview atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult aspect of development for a specific product family.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at iRobot (Bedford, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

I believe a recruiter found my LinkedIn profile and sent me an email to see if I was interested. I was open to see if it would be a good mutual fit. Had an initial phone screen with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then two onsite interviews that took a half day each (3 or 4 one on one interviews lasting about 45 minutes each with other principal engineers, program managers, 1 director. Since I lived in the area the total process from phone interview to the final round of on-site interviews was about 4 weeks. Received an offer a few days later. Everyone was polite and friendly and instead of waiting for questions and then answering them, try to be personable and make it more into a mutual dialogue and conversation. I would say a good balance be to keep the dialogue 60/40 at the onsite interview. 60% let the interviewer talk and ask questions while 40% you can take time to respond and also ask some relevant/good questions. For some interviewers they may be busy about their day and may not have even read your resume. In that case be prepared to "lead" the discussions and maybe more of a 50/50 dialogue. Smile, stay friendly, and flexible. Definitely have a few good questions for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific project you've worked on from start to finish and the results.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at iRobot (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I dropped off my resume during a campus career fair. After the career fair, it took about one to three months to hear back from a hiring manager. It was very flexible to schedule a phone interview with them, which lasted about an hour. We talked about past projects I have worked on and what future plans are. In the technical part, I was given college-level math concepts to describe in English and some programming/design questions.

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at iRobot.

Interview

The process was very thorough, professional and informative. I was originally contacted by an in-house recruiter who conducted a first phone screen and remained the main point of contact throughout. She was one of the most intelligent and helpful recruiters I have dealt with. Then there was an onsite interview with the hiring manager, and then I was invited for the full interview day in which i spoke to 7-8 researchers. They were all very friendly and intelligent and open about answering my questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• One engineer asked me to figure out how the existing product's homing algorithm might work, from minimal clues.   Answer Question