id Software Interview Questions

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at id Software

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at id Software in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from the HR person to schedule a call with what would have been my future lead. The lead called the next day and we had a good talk about the role and the studio. It went quite well, I thought. And then I heard nothing more. The job has since been filled and I have not received even a short form email to inform me the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I wanted to ask questions about some of the high-profile (negative) PR the company had been seeing (key staff departing and possibly the high-profile legal action the parent company was engaged in)   1 Answer

Producer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at id Software.

Interview

Interview process went pretty straightforward. Phone interview led to an onsite interview within 2 weeks. There were no curveball questions that did not pertain to the job that was being interviewed for. Overall a positive and fair experience.

Interview Questions

• If you were able to have a do over for the last 10 years, what would you change?   Answer Question

FX Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at id Software (Richardson, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

id contacted me after about 1 day of me applying to their job posting on Gamasutra and sent me an art test. I I completed the test and they liked the work so they asked me for a phone interview which I had in the next few days. They said I would be interviewing with the Art Director. A half hour later then the interview was scheduled, I was called by another artist who mentioned that the Art Director would be joining in the interview at some point. The artist and I talked for 2 hours and everything went great. The Art Director never showed up.

After the phone interview they asked me to come for an in person interview, something that was a bit difficult because I was living a long distance away and working 12+ hours a day. Still, I agreed to it and they flew me out to Texas for the interview. It was a 5 hour process, fun, interesting, friendly and very rarely they would ask a difficult work related question. They showed me around the office, introduced me to most of the art team and I interviewed with well over 10 people at the company. Everything seemed to go great... However, there was one person that joined the interview for a very brief period of time (approximately 2 minutes). This person asked one question and left the interview immediately after I answered the question. As he was leaving a producer mentioned that he was the Art Director. Which I thought was strange because I would most likely be working with the Art Director a lot, so shouldn't he spend more time in the interview?

I was not offered a job and I can only attribute it to the fact that the Art Director simply did not want to hire me no matter how well I did in the interviewing process. He showed no interest in having a discussion with me during his 2 minutes in the room, despite the fact that it was a 5 hour group interview. He simply asked one question and said, "okay thanks" after my answer, shook my hand and left the room. My interview otherwise was friendly and there were no curveballs or difficult questions.

I felt that the overall process was very unfair. I had no sensation that they were not going to hire me. Even they seemed convinced that they were going when they informed me that they have 2 openings and only 2 candidates. Yet they still didn't hire me. I should have had some sensation that things did not go particularly well or that the answers that I gave were off the mark. The vibe of the day was overall very positive. It was only after they informed me that they were not going to hire me that I remembered the strangeness with the Art Director and I assume that he was the only reason I was not hired. If the Art Director didn't want to hire me for whatever reason, they should have sorted that out before I arrived. He was obviously not interested in talking with me or working with me.

Interview Questions

• There were really no difficult questions. The basic expected questions of "what do you do in this scenario" are pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Level Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at id Software.

Interview

Simple, straight forward. Quick chat with leadership, lunch with the team, offered a job later the next day.

Interview Questions

• How you could make a difference in a company already filled with the best talent.   Answer Question

Level Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at id Software (Dallas, TX) in June 2009.

Interview

After applying we exchanged a few emails and the company reviewed my portfolio. After a phone interview they flew me down to meet with the team and interview with some of the leads. Went out to lunch with the leads and flew back.

I was offered the position the next day via phone.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult. Most seemed to be related to culture fit and competency.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the start date. They wanted me to start the following week but I needed two weeks to move and what not.

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at id Software (Richardson, TX) in June 2009.

Interview

I applied online, got a phone interview, did a design test, got a face to face...asked to come to office again and meet with them again with family in tow.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

was none

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at id Software.

Interview

Great communication with Human Resources and team managers. Felt at ease and able to be honest in interviews.