kCura

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.1

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source – interviewed at kCura.

The process of scheduling the phone interview really was very off-putting. The hiring person called at odd-times, and did not leave a detailed message with either a good time to call back or times for the interview itself.

Afterward - I never received a call back, or an official "we are not a match" note from this person.

I would hesitate to work at a place that would recruit like that.

Interview Questions
    • They were very curious about how much mentoring I actually did - and also very curious about programming languages.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at kCura.

onsite interview had 4 parts, 2 of them of behavioral and 2 of them technical. not too difficult. Had to explain coding challenge, how you would do something differently to improve your code, etc. One part was OOP/data structures questions, while another was relating to broad, problem solving questions.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at kCura.

Talked to them at a career fair. Interview on campus. Coding challenge. Interview on-site.

Campus interview was pretty textbook. Some basic coding questions and some SQL queries if you listed that on your resume. Also asked to talk about a past project.

Onsite interview is pretty long with zero breaks

first session they ask you some basic programming (focusing on OOP) in your preferred language, ask you some SQL queries if you listed that on your resume, and then they ask you to explain your submission for the coding challenge. Asked about past project again.

second session was software design/testing. they give you an already implemented web app and ask how you think they implemented it. then they ask how you would implement a different project that they describe. then compare and contrast the pros and cons of possible implementations. finally, they ask about how you would go about testing the software (especially in the security aspect).

third session was with the manager. this session was 90% behavioral. I was asked what my "dream" was. Asked about my past project a 3rd time.

fourth session was giving a summary of how I felt about the previous 3 sessions.

Interview Questions
    • The second session was pretty difficult for me because I had no computer security background whatsoever. Really helps to know how SQL/JS injection works.   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

I was forwarded a job listing from a campus career counselor. I submitted my resume and cover letter to the recruiter, who I then had a phone interview with. After the phone interview, I went in the office for two rounds of in person interviews (one that was 1 on 1, the other with two managers).

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you're not good at? (something to that effect, it was a while ago)   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

A long unstructured interview:
    I did not see that the questions were organized and structured, it implied a lack of preparation.
    They just throw whatever came into their mind, most of them could not finish what they had because of their lack of time planning.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at kCura in December 2014.

Phone interview garnered all the usual questions as an experienced engineer would expect.
    Was brought in for 5 hours of multiple interviews that scaled from concepts to writing out a class on a whiteboard.
    They certainly enforce their culture there as well.

Within Human Resources Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at kCura.

I interviewed for a position within the HR department. The interview was fine, and at the end the my interviewer said that they would let me know either way within a few days. They never got back to me, and the interviewer never answered their phone when I called to follow up. I know that it is standard to do this sort of thing, but I think that when you explicitly say you will let a job seeker know either way, you should make good on your promise. Overall the experience just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard (but I was not interviewing for a programming position).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at kCura.

Applied through campus recruitment. There were three technical questions and some basic hr questions. I had to create a base class for a square and a triangle and then make a shape base class and explain the relationship between the square and triangle. I had to determine how to find the highest frequency word from an input file. Finally I had to explain some database tables.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at kCura in August 2014.

I've never participated in an interview process as thorough as kCura's. After completing an online application, which included writing an essay and inventing a word, the actual interview started with a couple of initial screenings from an HR representative on the phone, then continued with a video interview, and finished off with three hours of interviewing with six representatives from the marketing team. I appreciated the opportunities to ask multiple team members questions, and I felt that each of them were honest and open about the makeup of the team. I was also impressed with how smart and well-spoken they were.

Interview Questions
    • Name an example of a time you were not an excellent communicator (this question points to one of kCura's core values).   View Answer
    They asked me for my expectations first (at the end of the interview), and when they called to offer the job, they matched my request.

Front End Developer Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at kCura.

6 hour pointless interview, a massive waste of time. Creepy cult like expressions on monitors. Felt like I was in "They Live" the overall feeling was that they weren't really interested in gaining a resource for there company but rather they want you to be very impressed with them. Their work is lackluster. They become very defensive when you mention GlassDoor.

Interview Questions

Better opportunities out there, too low on pay.