kCura Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Started with an initial phone conversation, a coding challenge and then half a day of on site interviews. On site consisted of a behavioral section, followed with two technical group conversations and concluded with the recruiter. The technical group conversations involved reviewing some of the code submitted with the challenge problem and then a lot of whiteboarding. Design questions about web platforms were also expected.

Interview Questions

• Design and code a Cell class for Conway's game of life on the whiteboard. You are given a Board class that can invoke the Cell's tick method with any parameters you want. Your tick method needs to figure out the new state of the Cell.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

First had phone interview with Recruiter; common HR questions. Then had a phone screen with hiring manager; similar questions but more about your work experience. Finally called for face-to-face interview. The process was 4.5 hrs with 9 people interviewing. Each person would focus on one of the core-value in the company and ask situational questions.

Interview Questions

• 1.5 hrs in the face-2-face interview was about each position/role I held and what my manager would have said I have done better and what I could have improved on. Be prepared by making a list of all of your roles and responsibilities and what you did well and what you could have done well.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Software Engineer: First there is a homework assignment to see if they even want to interview you, which can be written in just about any language. This was the easy part. Then they bring you in and run you through the gamut of what they are looking for. Sadly again, this was a whiteboard open-ended test where as you wrote to fulfill the requirements, they changed the requirements or deepened them. Afterwards I felt pretty good, but I was refused on account of not having enough experience for a mid-career person. I believe that to be a very false statement, they just couldn't really tell me that they just said no.

Process Automation Engineer: Applied a few months later for this position. Interview was MUCH shorter, since I had already gone through their basics. A bit of abrasive and cra$$ attitude from HR this time. Questions ranged from, "how would you automate this?" to "why would you automate this?" Simple things, easy things, things that they could get their own people to do if they focused on it. (I'm going to put this here since I see nowhere else ot put it) I received an offer but refused. They had dealt with me as if I was fresh from the first interview months earlier. Same salary increase, same offer that I would have most likely received had I received one the first time. Also HR seemed very opposed to working/negotiating with me about the offer. They seemed unwilling to present a counter offer and it took multiple attempts to convince them to bring back a counter offer to the hiring manager. After this, I felt that this was far too much work to obtain this, and I felt that kCura did not necessarily need me, but simply needed another to fill a position of what I view as "grunt work." I felt something shady was going on with their dealings with me and felt better about refusing because of it.

Overall, not the greatest experience. They should really be able to work with someone coming in who is 6-7 years mid career. Many standards have been set in that time, and kCura standards may be different, but they are most likely not any better.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to the job?   1 Answer
    • Any .NET experience at all?   1 Answer
    • Higher level concepts: abstraction, extension, etc.   1 Answer

They should really be able to work with someone coming in who is 6-7 years mid career. Many standards have been set in that time, and kCura standards may be different, but they are most likely not any better. Plus, when interviewing for a different position after interviewing for a previous one, the interview should start over, not be based off the previous one.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process of scheduling the phone interview really was very off-putting. The hiring person called at odd-times, and did not leave a detailed message with either a good time to call back or times for the interview itself.

Afterward - I never received a call back, or an official "we are not a match" note from this person.

I would hesitate to work at a place that would recruit like that.

Interview Questions

• They were very curious about how much mentoring I actually did - and also very curious about programming languages.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at kCura.

Interview

onsite interview had 4 parts, 2 of them of behavioral and 2 of them technical. not too difficult. Had to explain coding challenge, how you would do something differently to improve your code, etc. One part was OOP/data structures questions, while another was relating to broad, problem solving questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at kCura (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

First round is pretty much all technical with one or two behavioral questions thrown in. It os also not laid back at all, be ready to jump right in to tech questions. You need to know your object oriented programming very well (At least have the basics down pat). They ask you to write code on a white board and, as usual, to think out loud so they can hear your thought process.

Interview Questions

• Create different shape classes that computed area, given a key value for that shape.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at kCura (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Talked to them at a career fair. Interview on campus. Coding challenge. Interview on-site.

Campus interview was pretty textbook. Some basic coding questions and some SQL queries if you listed that on your resume. Also asked to talk about a past project.

Onsite interview is pretty long with zero breaks

first session they ask you some basic programming (focusing on OOP) in your preferred language, ask you some SQL queries if you listed that on your resume, and then they ask you to explain your submission for the coding challenge. Asked about past project again.

second session was software design/testing. they give you an already implemented web app and ask how you think they implemented it. then they ask how you would implement a different project that they describe. then compare and contrast the pros and cons of possible implementations. finally, they ask about how you would go about testing the software (especially in the security aspect).

third session was with the manager. this session was 90% behavioral. I was asked what my "dream" was. Asked about my past project a 3rd time.

fourth session was giving a summary of how I felt about the previous 3 sessions.

Interview Questions

• The second session was pretty difficult for me because I had no computer security background whatsoever. Really helps to know how SQL/JS injection works.   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Interview

I was forwarded a job listing from a campus career counselor. I submitted my resume and cover letter to the recruiter, who I then had a phone interview with. After the phone interview, I went in the office for two rounds of in person interviews (one that was 1 on 1, the other with two managers).

Interview Questions

• What do you think you're not good at? (something to that effect, it was a while ago)   Answer Question

Interview

A long unstructured interview:
    I did not see that the questions were organized and structured, it implied a lack of preparation.
    They just throw whatever came into their mind, most of them could not finish what they had because of their lack of time planning.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at kCura.

Interview

I interviewed for a position within the HR department. The interview was fine, and at the end the my interviewer said that they would let me know either way within a few days. They never got back to me, and the interviewer never answered their phone when I called to follow up. I know that it is standard to do this sort of thing, but I think that when you explicitly say you will let a job seeker know either way, you should make good on your promise. Overall the experience just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard (but I was not interviewing for a programming position).   Answer Question