n&k Technology Interview Questions

3.4

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at n&k Technology.

This one was the worst interview I have ever taken. The interview was with Dr. Rahim Forouhi (CEO). He did not greet me well. He started asking about my courses And my research. When I was telling him about my research he was not paying attention at all. He did not ask me about my experience and started dwelling into my optics course. After 15 minutes he asked me to leave without any courtesy of asking if I have any questions regarding the job position. I do not think I want to work with him. Overall i had a very bad experience, like said the worst interviewee i have ever met with.

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at n&k Technology in October 2011.

First interview consisted of a panel of about 6 people and one person on speaker intercom. They all seemed really relaxed and asked me questions relevant to my resume and my experience at my internship. Most of the questions where about a CAD design program and they seemed really enthusiastic. Told me that first six months would be working with CAD then I would assist in designing a robot. Second interview was with CEO 1:1 asked me how the first interview went then asked me about the robot. How would I design it, and what was the purpose of the robot, how would it improve the workflow. He then said he couldn't believe I was an engineer and didn't know about working with a linear stage, which I had no experience with since I was fresh out of college. He then said "my workers didn't inform you about the position too well, thank you for coming".

Interview Questions
    • How would you execute the movement of the robot to make precise movements?   Answer Question
    • How does the robot improve the workflow of our company?   Answer Question

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at n&k Technology in February 2010.

The interview process itself was quite plausible: I actually did get a good impression, however a few observations had me alerted. The biggest concern raised was that it came up that there was a big project that has been suddenly dropped by people that have left suddenly. Dr. Forouhi could not address this fact in any plausible way. Then, once I have actually received the offer letter and called to inquire a bit more about the benefits (that are very, very basic), I have been told a few things that I did not like, namely that I try to "analyze too much" the offer, and that is a "good stepping stone" which have unambiguously have indicated that the position is highly expendable. Another line that Dr. Forouhi "does not believe in benefits" could be true if the salary he has offered ($80K cash/year in San Jose is not exactly a lot) could compensate for the factual absence of these benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be able to improve/modify our code confidently (that code I have never seen in my life)?   View Answer

I did not decline the offer: an outrageous thing has happened, such as the CEO, Dr. Rahim Forouhi has retracted his own signed offer after just a couple of days. This should illustrate the value of his word to his clients as well as to prospective employees, which is precisely equals to zero. Very, very unsettling and sad, especially that the same person attempts to preach the high standards of business ethics while apparently having no idea about it. I did not receive a signed letter of retraction either, just a phone call from his wife.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at n&k Technology.

The interview process seemed a bit disorganized. In addition to the screening call, I was required to make three on-site visits.

Salary negotiations were conducted with the CEO without access to the total compensation package (e.g. benefits contributions). Those details were only forwarded to me after a salary was agreed upon. Consequently, the negotiation required quite a bit of guesswork as to total value on my part. I'd suggest pressing the company for a complete outline of benefits before negotiating salary.

Interview Questions
    • "Let's start with Maxwell's equations. Could you write them out?"   View Answer

Total value of the offer was a bit low. I felt I could get better elsewhere.

Business Development Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at n&k Technology in January 2010.

Dr. Forouhi is a delightful man and CEO. One of the best I have come across after 20 years in the valley.

I found out after the interview that most of his employees have been with him for years, there is very little turnover and they are fiercely loyal.

In an economy (2010-2011) where most employers cut on benefits, n&k offers good wages and benefits.

It also seems to me the company strives to attract the best and can easily spot mediocrity.

I recommend n&k as one of the best companies I have ever worked for.