optionsXpress

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Web Designer Interview

Senior Web Designer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at optionsXpress in February 2010.

Interview Details – Met with Design Director, EVP, Marketing, Creative Director and HR during my several hours at OptionsXpress. Rather cordial interview from start to finish for a role greater than simply Sr. Web Designer; it was more a Jr. Director-level position, which I was considerably excited about given my deep experience in the industry. Left with a great sense of optimism, in large part due to being told I pretty much had this job in the bag.

Was offered the position only one day later, but learned due to shifting priorities within the company due to recent events the position had been diluted back to more a "pure coder" assignment with a lower salary than I had requested. With this drastic change in mind, I declined the offer while leaving the door open with the EVP in the future. Neither the company environment nor those I interviewed with were a factor whatsoever; I'd be working there right now if only things had worked out and they could offer the salary I had requested.

Interview Question – Tell me how you'd handle a project from inception in terms of gauging user interactions with the OptionsXpress site and how you would attune the project toward increasing market share/conversion.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Dilution of position's responsibilities and opportunities within the organization. Due to these changes, salary could not be matched against the offer from another local company that exceeded my target.

Worked for optionsXpress? Contribute to the Community!