rue21 Assistant Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

8 interviews

1.5

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at rue21.

Come prepared to ask questions such as how does the company handle theft, ask for details? What are the expectations for the assistant manger? What happens if expectations are met? What are the company views on work and life balance? What practices are in place to reduce theft? What procedures are in place to ensure staff safety? How many assistant managers have been employed at this location for the past 5 years? Ask for a detailed description of a normal day in the workplace.

Interview Questions
  • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. The questions presented are common with the position.   Answer Question
Don't expect the company to hire you in at a decent wage. Negotiate your wages, you are worth every penny.

Other Interview Reviews for rue21

Anonymous Employee  in  Lorain, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Lorain, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at rue21.

The interview, personally went well with the store manager. However, when i call to follow up with the store manager and district manager they both give me the run around. It's a crock to be lead from person to person and the store manager has the balls to chew me out for calling the store once a week to follow up. They lack professionalism and means to follow up with potential candidates. Even if they were to call me and say the job was mine, I would say no thanks because of the POOR COMMUNICATION!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kingsport, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingsport, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at rue21 in November 2011.

Well, I was told to come back for an interview as an assistant manager.

At the time of interview I was told the person I was going to replace decided to stay, and that they were going to help transfer me elsewhere since I was overly qualified.

Then the store didn't meet the loss prevention requirements and I was told that I wasn't allowed to be promoted. Even though the paper specified that management couldn't be transferred or promoted and I was temporarily working an as associate.

Then I was told they didn't give me the interview when the position was made available because I was trying to change their policies when I was trying to show them what their policies actually read.

Interview Questions
    I had attempted to negotiate my pay but they wouldn't budge from minimum wage. With the promise of advancement I took it. But then they never kept their promise. A waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodstock, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at rue21 in August 2010.

Applied online (filled out an "Expression of Interest" on the company website) in June and got a call in August to schedule an interview. The interview was laid-back and I simply talked about my past employment experiences and what I had gained from them. I was told I was perfect for the position and got a call a few days later to come in and fill out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    I got the wage I put on my application. I would suggest putting a higher wage or asking about possible wage raises.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at rue21 in October 2009.

Well I got a call and the next day i was on an interview. I only had 1 interview and it was with the store manager. She was a very young girl and didnt seem like she knew what she was doing. She needed another assistant manager but said she was keeping her options open. She wanted someone before the holidays. The interview mostly consisted of alot of sales questions. I didn't get called back after the interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at rue21 in December 2010.

The interview was one of the easiest I have had. We started off discussing my past employers, then spent a lot of time discussing loss prevention, since theft is such a huge problem for rue21. Luckily, I was well versed in lp, so it made the interview process a breeze. I was set up with a phone interview with a dm in training the following week, who asked me a few very basic questions (not even management related). A few days later, I received an offer, countered it, and was given an even better offer than the one I made, so I accepted.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at rue21 in January 2012.

Was recruited by a Store Manager to apply for Assistant Manager position. Interviewed with 2 different Store Managers and they both asked about the same series of questions, one manager changing it up a little bit from the other. They both liked me and forwarded my information to the District Manager. District Manager interviewed me the following week, it was about an hour long interview. The interview went well, and I gave the DM my salary requirements for the position. After a week of internal negotiations, they got the pay rate of $11.50 approved.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw or caught an employee stealing?   Answer Question
    • How do you describe leadership? What does it mean to you?   Answer Question
    • What do you do to motivate your team and delegate work?   Answer Question

I declined the offer because the store needs a lot of help and work to come back to a normal operating store, and after doing the math, I felt that it would require more money for the months and months of hard work I would have to put into the store to get it back to where corporate thought it should be. I was also told by the DM that I would be held responsible in this store as a Store Manager, because of the situation. Once I received the offer, I only had 3 hours to think about it and make a decision, which was definitely not long enough, given the situation at hand.

Assistant Manager Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at rue21 in February 2011.

I put in interest through their online career website. About a week later I received a call back to see if I could come in for an interview. I went in the next day and filled out my application and sat down with the store manager for the interview. The interview was very laid back, short and to the point. The following day I had a phone interview with the regional manager. This took about a half hour. They asked a few questions but for the most part was just a conversation for them to better understand my work and what my current role is. After three days I received a call that my references from previous managers came back excellent and they offered the position.

Interview Questions
    Since they are a discount retailer it was hard to negotiate the price; however, I told them what I was expecting to make and they almost met it. They at least gave me a raise and incentive to leave my current position.

Worked for rue21? Contribute to the Community!