shopkick Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
11 interviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Initially chatted with an engineer at the Greylock Tech Fair and talked about the company and what he did there. I also told him about my situation (graduating in December, but not starting until the summer) and he said that I could interview anytime and then start whenever, which was pretty chill. I then had a phone call with the engineering recruiter and it was going well until she asked me for my GPA. I know I don't have the most stellar GPA, but the minimum at Shopkick is 3.5, which is pretty darn high for a minimum. And they don't care how many projects you do or past internships you have or what school/program you attended unless this GPA minimum is met. She then consoled me by saying that they'll follow up with me in a year, when GPA "doesn't matter". So that was how far I got into the hiring process.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at shopkick.

I contacted a recruiter and a first phone interview was setup. I thought that went badly since the recruiter kept asking more and more confusing follow up questions on how to improve when I had told there was no significant improvements. In the end in interviewer told me the same thing ?! Surprisingly however I was called back for another interview. Was asked to explain a piece of code and asked to make improvements. The interviewer told me that I was right and I thought I had done well. Was sent a vague generic rejection email after that from the recruiting team.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at shopkick.

Got connected by recruiter on linkedin, and a technical phone interview was set up right after hr called me. It was a very fast process.

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at shopkick.

Applied online, interviewed with HR recruiter first and then with the manager of the department. First interview with recruiter went great. He asked basic questions but I got a great feeling for the position and the company. Second interview with the hiring manager went horrible. She actually made it feel like I was wasting her time. No lady - you're wasting MY TIME! You should have reviewed my resume first and NOT contacted me if you felt I was not up to your standards or did not possess the skills and/or qualities you were looking for.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at shopkick in October 2013.

Completed a first round interview, which consisted of a technical phone screen. The interviewer came across as quite cold and gave very little guidance or hints as to what he expected to see, which was very odd given that the interview question was very open-ended. The interview lasted about 60 minutes and consisted of a single, open-ended question—a real-time remote coding exercise.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to implement a data structure in a programming language of choice. What made the task difficult is that the interviewer provided very little feedback so it was difficult to make optimization and scaling trade-offs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at shopkick in January 2013.

In the phone interview I did two algorithm coding questions.

Then I got the onsite interview in their redwood city office, the whole interview was grilling and awkward, only academic algorithm questions.

Marketing Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at shopkick in May 2013.

Phone interviews went well, then I had the in person interview. My first impression of this company is that they think they are Google and it shows in how the office is designed. The staff was unprofessional when I arrived. They lied about where the other interviewers were and it just reeked of a delusional company that thinks too highly of itself. I should have known better by looking at the "leadership" section of their site.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult and the questions were what you would expect. Tell me about yourself? Why do you think you’re a good fit for this role? The basics with a few that cover the requirements of the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at shopkick in October 2012.

Applied online through their career website. They scheduled a phone interview.

Phone interview went through my resume. They focussed on one project and drilled me on that. Based on the same project, they asked me to solve another search problem. Really enjoyed the problem. Within 5 minutes, I got a call that they wanted to schedule a onsite or a skype interview. Since, I was coming to the Bay area for an interview, they rescheduled my tickets for an onsite.

I have to mention that being a startup, they do not know how to handle candidates professionally. The people did not know what costs they can reinmurse and what they cannot. They had to get back to VP of engineering for everything. But, its a startup and it ll take time for them to learn these things.

On Site:
    Grilling Interview
    1. First one was the easiest. Could crack all the problems (Given a matrix of 0s and 1s, find the lagest square with only 1s)
    2. Second one was tough. He had his own hash structure, which was really buggy. The idea was to make sure that you write insert, getkey, and delete fucntions for this buggy hashmap and make it bug free. I could not get my head around this and lost my way.
    THey brought food for me and gave me a 15 min break.
    3. And the next interviewer asked me a scheduling problem. Messed up on this too. What I did wrong was that I dived into the real code before getting a clear picture of the pseudo code. (In my defence, they pushed me to write code while I was thinking of pseudo code) The problem was really tough and had a brilliant linear solution. I ll not write this problem, since I dont want to spoil it for the interviewer. :)
    4. Then, the VP asks about project. I think I kind of go too dejected at this point and did not give my best. The questions he asked were really basic and all he wants to see is if you can write reasonable code.

Overall, the interview process was good. They have some really smart ppl working there.
    Negatives - Not organized. The interview process was too grilling, which kinda puts the candidates at the backfoot. They can try to make the interview process more friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Has to be the scheduling problem. But, sorry cant disclose   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at shopkick in June 2011.

The in-person interview was quite challenging, but extremely annoying. There were three rounds of interviews. The person who conducted the first round must be conducting the first rounds all the time. He gave a good summary of what the company does. He was also the most arrogant of the lot. Even if you explain the concept thoroughly, it does not matter until you utter the keywords viz url signing, etc. The second round was conducted by someone who has been with the company from the very beginning and has worked on almost all of their systems. He was a little less arrogant. Went into dynamic programming. The last round felt like a lifetime. The questions were really crazy. If you answer the questions, the follow up was questions will become not only difficult but also too far fetched. Looked like he just came up with the questions on the stop and did not know the solutions himself.

Interview Questions
    • Coin Change dynamic programming problem   View Answer

Did not want to work with arrogant co-workers. I don't believe in academic interviews. After 6 years of experience, did not want to be judged by if I can solve a binary tree problem.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at shopkick in April 2011.

There is a phone interview first done by their CTO, then a onsite or a follow-up phone interview.

They have some algorithm questions and mentioned that their group is very smart.

It is a start-up company.

Interview Questions
    • How to get the duplicate value from an array that has a length N?

Give a more efficient answer?

Hashtable insertion's big O?
        Answer Question

Worked for shopkick? Contribute to the Community!