shopkick Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

4.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at shopkick in October 2012.

Applied online through their career website. They scheduled a phone interview.

Phone interview went through my resume. They focussed on one project and drilled me on that. Based on the same project, they asked me to solve another search problem. Really enjoyed the problem. Within 5 minutes, I got a call that they wanted to schedule a onsite or a skype interview. Since, I was coming to the Bay area for an interview, they rescheduled my tickets for an onsite.

I have to mention that being a startup, they do not know how to handle candidates professionally. The people did not know what costs they can reinmurse and what they cannot. They had to get back to VP of engineering for everything. But, its a startup and it ll take time for them to learn these things.

On Site:
    Grilling Interview
    1. First one was the easiest. Could crack all the problems (Given a matrix of 0s and 1s, find the lagest square with only 1s)
    2. Second one was tough. He had his own hash structure, which was really buggy. The idea was to make sure that you write insert, getkey, and delete fucntions for this buggy hashmap and make it bug free. I could not get my head around this and lost my way.
    THey brought food for me and gave me a 15 min break.
    3. And the next interviewer asked me a scheduling problem. Messed up on this too. What I did wrong was that I dived into the real code before getting a clear picture of the pseudo code. (In my defence, they pushed me to write code while I was thinking of pseudo code) The problem was really tough and had a brilliant linear solution. I ll not write this problem, since I dont want to spoil it for the interviewer. :)
    4. Then, the VP asks about project. I think I kind of go too dejected at this point and did not give my best. The questions he asked were really basic and all he wants to see is if you can write reasonable code.

Overall, the interview process was good. They have some really smart ppl working there.
    Negatives - Not organized. The interview process was too grilling, which kinda puts the candidates at the backfoot. They can try to make the interview process more friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Has to be the scheduling problem. But, sorry cant disclose   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at shopkick in June 2011.

The in-person interview was quite challenging, but extremely annoying. There were three rounds of interviews. The person who conducted the first round must be conducting the first rounds all the time. He gave a good summary of what the company does. He was also the most arrogant of the lot. Even if you explain the concept thoroughly, it does not matter until you utter the keywords viz url signing, etc. The second round was conducted by someone who has been with the company from the very beginning and has worked on almost all of their systems. He was a little less arrogant. Went into dynamic programming. The last round felt like a lifetime. The questions were really crazy. If you answer the questions, the follow up was questions will become not only difficult but also too far fetched. Looked like he just came up with the questions on the stop and did not know the solutions himself.

Interview Questions
    • Coin Change dynamic programming problem   View Answer

Did not want to work with arrogant co-workers. I don't believe in academic interviews. After 6 years of experience, did not want to be judged by if I can solve a binary tree problem.