shopkick Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at shopkick.

Interview

I had one HR interview and 3 technical interviews and got rejected on the final round interview. The technical questions were about algorithms and not very difficult. The most difficult one is divide a string into fixed length rows and follow-ups. The follow-ups could be solved by DP, but I did not have enough time at the end.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for shopkick

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at shopkick.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter at career fair, scheduled phone interview. Total of three phone interviews but ultimately no offer. One behavioral with HR, two technical with engineers. Technical interviews were coding questions done over a shared online document. Very data structures heavy, allow you to use any language. Employees were polite and professional. Product seems interesting.

Interview Questions

• Linked List and Binary Tree algorithm questions (fairly standard)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at shopkick in March 2015.

Interview

A recruiter phone interview followed by a technical interview. The technical interview is quite smooth, but I do no know why I failed when got thank you email at the same day. It took me 1 hour 15 minutes to go through resume, ask and answer problems to test culture fit, and ask me a 'Letter combinations of a phone number'. Did everything perfectly. Just stuck a little while for time complexity analysis but then correct it. May I am over-qualified?

Interview Questions

• 'Letter combinations of a phone number'   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initially chatted with an engineer at the Greylock Tech Fair and talked about the company and what he did there. I also told him about my situation (graduating in December, but not starting until the summer) and he said that I could interview anytime and then start whenever, which was pretty chill. I then had a phone call with the engineering recruiter and it was going well until she asked me for my GPA. I know I don't have the most stellar GPA, but the minimum at Shopkick is 3.5, which is pretty darn high for a minimum. And they don't care how many projects you do or past internships you have or what school/program you attended unless this GPA minimum is met. She then consoled me by saying that they'll follow up with me in a year, when GPA "doesn't matter". So that was how far I got into the hiring process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at shopkick.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter and a first phone interview was setup. I thought that went badly since the recruiter kept asking more and more confusing follow up questions on how to improve when I had told there was no significant improvements. In the end in interviewer told me the same thing ?! Surprisingly however I was called back for another interview. Was asked to explain a piece of code and asked to make improvements. The interviewer told me that I was right and I thought I had done well. Was sent a vague generic rejection email after that from the recruiting team.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at shopkick.

Interview

Got connected by recruiter on linkedin, and a technical phone interview was set up right after hr called me. It was a very fast process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at shopkick in October 2013.

Interview

Completed a first round interview, which consisted of a technical phone screen. The interviewer came across as quite cold and gave very little guidance or hints as to what he expected to see, which was very odd given that the interview question was very open-ended. The interview lasted about 60 minutes and consisted of a single, open-ended question—a real-time remote coding exercise.

Interview Questions

• Asked to implement a data structure in a programming language of choice. What made the task difficult is that the interviewer provided very little feedback so it was difficult to make optimization and scaling trade-offs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at shopkick (Redwood City, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

In the phone interview I did two algorithm coding questions. Then I got the onsite interview in their redwood city office, the whole interview was grilling and awkward, only academic algorithm questions.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at shopkick (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online through their career website. They scheduled a phone interview. Phone interview went through my resume. They focussed on one project and drilled me on that. Based on the same project, they asked me to solve another search problem. Really enjoyed the problem. Within 5 minutes, I got a call that they wanted to schedule a onsite or a skype interview. Since, I was coming to the Bay area for an interview, they rescheduled my tickets for an onsite. I have to mention that being a startup, they do not know how to handle candidates professionally. The people did not know what costs they can reinmurse and what they cannot. They had to get back to VP of engineering for everything. But, its a startup and it ll take time for them to learn these things. On Site: Grilling Interview 1. First one was the easiest. Could crack all the problems (Given a matrix of 0s and 1s, find the lagest square with only 1s) 2. Second one was tough. He had his own hash structure, which was really buggy. The idea was to make sure that you write insert, getkey, and delete fucntions for this buggy hashmap and make it bug free. I could not get my head around this and lost my way. THey brought food for me and gave me a 15 min break. 3. And the next interviewer asked me a scheduling problem. Messed up on this too. What I did wrong was that I dived into the real code before getting a clear picture of the pseudo code. (In my defence, they pushed me to write code while I was thinking of pseudo code) The problem was really tough and had a brilliant linear solution. I ll not write this problem, since I dont want to spoil it for the interviewer. :) 4. Then, the VP asks about project. I think I kind of go too dejected at this point and did not give my best. The questions he asked were really basic and all he wants to see is if you can write reasonable code. Overall, the interview process was good. They have some really smart ppl working there. Negatives - Not organized. The interview process was too grilling, which kinda puts the candidates at the backfoot. They can try to make the interview process more friendly.

Interview Questions

• Has to be the scheduling problem. But, sorry cant disclose   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at shopkick (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

The in-person interview was quite challenging, but extremely annoying. There were three rounds of interviews. The person who conducted the first round must be conducting the first rounds all the time. He gave a good summary of what the company does. He was also the most arrogant of the lot. Even if you explain the concept thoroughly, it does not matter until you utter the keywords viz url signing, etc. The second round was conducted by someone who has been with the company from the very beginning and has worked on almost all of their systems. He was a little less arrogant. Went into dynamic programming. The last round felt like a lifetime. The questions were really crazy. If you answer the questions, the follow up was questions will become not only difficult but also too far fetched. Looked like he just came up with the questions on the stop and did not know the solutions himself.

Interview Questions

• Coin Change dynamic programming problem   1 Answer

Did not want to work with arrogant co-workers. I don't believe in academic interviews. After 6 years of experience, did not want to be judged by if I can solve a binary tree problem.