thePlatform

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Solution Architect Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at thePlatform.

Interview Details – Applied on LinkedIn - HR was super responsive - had a 30 minute interview. HR was surprisingly technical, essentially filling in checkboxes for technical stuff. Next round was a phone interview - he was professional, called on time, explained what they do and asked a few design questions. Took *exactly* 45 minutes, and was on time for the interview. Overall, gave me a positive feeling about the company

Interview Question – How would you design an exception management system that caters to varied end points ( email/ws/...)   Answer Question

ThePlatform Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at thePlatform in August 2012.

Interview Details – When applying, it took a while before I received a call-back. However, the phone interview was more in-depth than I had experienced before.

Upon visiting for the in-person interview, I was onsite for almost 3 hours.

Interview Question – "Are you sure you can handle this position?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation.

Executive Assistant Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at thePlatform in April 2010.

Interview Details – I learned about this job through a friend of my sister, who happened to be a contracted Recruiter for thePlatform at the time. I wasn't necessarily looking for a new job, but after reading the position details (this was for a previous position, not my current role), I became incredibly interested and excited about the opportunity.

I submitted a resume and heard back from the on-staff Recruiter within a few days. We set up an initial phone interview that lasted about 45 minutes - it was actually a really fun experience. Afterward, I was invited in to interview with a team of folks in the Admin and Finance departments.

I was anticipating a panel interview, but was pleasantly surprised with a series of 1:1s. This allowed me to be a bit more relaxed and get to know each of my interviewers a little easier - this is just as important for me as a candidate because I need to know if I am able to work with all of these different personalities, as well.

I was offered the job on the spot - something that had only happened to me once before, and something I don't think is generally typical in the hiring process. I requested a couple of days to consider the offer, which they were totally willing to accommodate. After two days I reached out to accept the offer, and received my offer letter and documents in the mail just two days after the call.

Interview Question – I was shown a photo of a vending machine, and was asked to explain how I would communicate to someone who wasn't a native English speaker the process of using the machine. I was really impressed with the question as it was a creative way to discover a candidate's thought process and communication abilities.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

MySQL Database Administrator Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at thePlatform in August 2011.

Interview Details – The process is pretty similar to most other companies. The process started with a telephone screen from human resources to inquire about why you are leaving and what qualifications you have. Upon completion, a technical phone screen with the database engineer was given and then followed with an in person panel interview with some of current database administrators, the database engineer, the technical operations manager, the software development manager, human resources, and a member of the system administrators team.

The in person interview was very technical. Most of the questions asked were responsible and not very difficult. They consisted of design a database and its objects based on some requirements, design of a replication topology, and basic questions how to respond to troubleshooting type issues, i.e. what would you do if a query started taking to long to complete.

For the most part, I found the teams to be very easy going and easy to work with. The company itself seems fairly awesome and cutting edge. I would have definitely love to have been a part of the organization. Sadly, I am a bit relieved that I did not get the position. Most of the people that I encountered seem to be very nice and pleasant. However, I did get the sense in the meeting that a decision had probably already been made before I even showed up for the interview. Two of the interviewees were very distant and did not seem to pay much attention. A few times during the interview these two individuals would ignore me completely and stare at co-workers outside of the interview room. Not a very professional feeling, especially when I had to continually repeat myself.

Interview Question – Describe the different raid systems and what you would use them for?   View Answer

Senior Java Software Developer Interview

Senior Java Software Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at thePlatform in November 2010.

Interview Details – Overall a smooth hiring process. Initial contact was with an internal recruiter. Had to fill out a somewhat cumbersome SAP job application, blame thePlatform's parent company Comcast for this, prior to the actual interview process.

Interviewed with 2 individuals in management and a pair of engineers. Relaxed and organized interview process though I wasn't sure how well I was doing at the time. Evidently well enough since I received an offer

The engineering group I'm a part of is a well-managed group of senior-level engineers and QA. Other teams seem to be similar.

Interview Question – Open-ended question about a parking lot. It was purposefully vague to see which direction the interviewee took the problem.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My final offer was only slightly better than my original offer despite my best efforts. Overall the salary figure was a slight drop from my previous job, but the overall benefits package more than compensated for the difference.

Engineering Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at thePlatform in May 2010.

Interview Details – Read the reviews of the company before I decided to apply and have to say those approval ratings make no sense to me. The entire interview process was a joke starting with the immensely incompetent recruiter who kept rescheduling the interview no less than five times. Then of course there was the final face to face interview. Was interview by several panels of people most of whom did not even introduce themselves. They barked out questions and amazingly one of the hardest people to comprehend happened to be their CTO. I doubt anyone would want to work for a company that makes an interviewee come in at 10:30AM, keeps them there till 4PM without so much as offering them a break for lunch.

Interview Question – Describe the process you would use to model the objects in a parking lot   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at thePlatform in January 2009.

Interview Details – First I had two phone interviews: by HR and then by the hiring manager. Then I was invited to interview on site and meet the team members. I interviewed with four people on a 1:1 basis, including the hiring manager who had interviewed me on the phone. No one seemed interested in looking at my design work. Now I realize if they don't look at your work samples, then they don't appreceiate the role of a designer's job. The actual job turned out different to what the interview and job opening described.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Support Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at thePlatform in July 2011.

Interview Details – Rather rigorous interview. I was impressed.

I walked out thinking that I did terribly but just really gave it my best. Having come from a support background it felt like they were simulating the environment that you would be exposed to if they did decide to hire you.

Main advice: Be sure to brush up on whatever technologies you put down on your resume. They asked me about a lot of things I've done but there are some things I have not done in a while - this definitely caught me off guard, but it was good because after the interview I went right back and reviewed these things such as unix commands.

Interview Question – How would you apply a JOIN statement given these 2 tables and 2 sets of columns in each table?   Answer Question

QA Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at thePlatform in January 2010.

Interview Details – * Applied to job post.
* HR called to ask some HR questions.
* Technical phone interview with manager.

Interview Question – Given 2 arrays, how do you test if they are equal?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for thePlatform? Contribute to the Community!

thePlatform – Why Work for Us?

Okay, so you’re smart and talented and loyal and have an incredible work ethic. You’ve got a great personality and actually like interacting with other humans. You could work anywhere, right? Consider thePlatform. Why… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at thePlatform interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by thePlatform employees and interview candidates.