thePlatform Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at thePlatform in May 2015.

Interview

I had two phone interviews for this position - the first was with a very helpful recruiter and the second with the person who would be my direct manager. Unfortunately I didn't have the experience they were looking for because I was declined an in-person interview but I had an overall positive experience with the company and would apply again if they had another position that interested me.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and received a response within 2 days. Despite missing her call the first time the recruiter was gracious and rescheduled. When we did connect the recruiter was positive and did a good job selling the company. After a positive conversation the recruiter scheduled a phone meeting with the hiring manager the next week. That call went so-so for me, but the manager was polite and the questions were reasonable. The questions were mostly probing about my experience, fir for the tream with a few technical ones. There was an online coding whiteboard exercise on google docs. The hiring manager must have decided I wasn't a fit for the role because I got a very cold blow off e-mail a couple days later from the initial recruiter. That e-mail turned an overall positive experience into a slightly negative one, but I am rating the overall experience as average since the process was efficient. Still the experience left me sour on the company.

Interview Questions

• Write a method the detects if a string is a palindrome in the language of your choice. Write a test case to test this method. What types of issues would cause problems with this method?   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied for the job online and the HR was very responsive, the next day I got a call to setup and interview and she was very intelligent and savvy. Next step was with the technical interview, it was disappointing, clearly the interviewer didn't bother read my resume and asked me generic questions, at the end he was surprised by my level of expertise yet he failed to realize I already have relevant experience in my resume. When it came to be my turn to ask him questions, he failed to understand my questions and appeared annoyed by them. While thePlatform has great people, I will be careful about whom I would report to.

Lead Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with a coding question and a little bit of tech background related discussion.
    The in house interview was a very engaging one i've had in a log time. They usually do it in pairs of interviewers and the questions are more real world problems rather than something out of a coding problem book, or something which needs you to know that one tricky step.
    The questions ranged from basic programming ability with constructs, ability to find issues in code and ability to better existing code/api.
    There were some design related questions and class hierarchy stuff tied to a neat descriptive narrative - not anything boring.
    Most of the questions were very specifically gauging the right fit for the role and there wasn't one thing which sounded as customary - yeah we ask this one to fill in some data - type of things.
    The coding and design discussions were very engaging as they made sure it was more like a peer discussion rather than "i ask the questions, i own the room" situation you get from most coding interviews in the industry.
    My interview experience played a positive part in swaying my decision to join.

Interview Questions

• Coding, designing test harness for enterprise scale systems, s/w design skills..   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at thePlatform in June 2014.

Interview

Found the job posting on LinkedIn, and applied via company (Comcast) website. In-house recruiter responded quickly and was very professional and friendly -- my interaction with her provided a good initial impression of the company. I had a brief phone screen with the recruiter one week after applying for the job, and then a phone screen with the hiring manager one week later. After speaking with the hiring manager, it was clear to me that the position (and team, and company) wasn't truly a good fit for me. Amongst other things, the recruiter had told me that it was a new position (i.e., new headcount), but the hiring manager said it was a backfill and that the person who had previously been hired for the position had been "let go" because he wasn't a good fit for the role. When I attempted to ask some follow-up questions about this (in an attempt to ensure that I wouldn't be setting myself up for the same fate), the interviewer seemed to become somewhat defensive. Following that phone screen, I emailed the recruiter to inform her that I had decided to withdraw from consideration for the position and to thank her for coordinating my interview process; I did not receive a response.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions for this type of position; nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn - HR was super responsive - had a 30 minute interview. HR was surprisingly technical, essentially filling in checkboxes for technical stuff. Next round was a phone interview - he was professional, called on time, explained what they do and asked a few design questions. Took *exactly* 45 minutes, and was on time for the interview. Overall, gave me a positive feeling about the company

Interview Questions

• How would you design an exception management system that caters to varied end points ( email/ws/...)   Answer Question

ThePlatform Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

When applying, it took a while before I received a call-back. However, the phone interview was more in-depth than I had experienced before.

Upon visiting for the in-person interview, I was onsite for almost 3 hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation.

Mysql Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

The process is pretty similar to most other companies. The process started with a telephone screen from human resources to inquire about why you are leaving and what qualifications you have. Upon completion, a technical phone screen with the database engineer was given and then followed with an in person panel interview with some of current database administrators, the database engineer, the technical operations manager, the software development manager, human resources, and a member of the system administrators team.

The in person interview was very technical. Most of the questions asked were responsible and not very difficult. They consisted of design a database and its objects based on some requirements, design of a replication topology, and basic questions how to respond to troubleshooting type issues, i.e. what would you do if a query started taking to long to complete.

For the most part, I found the teams to be very easy going and easy to work with. The company itself seems fairly awesome and cutting edge. I would have definitely love to have been a part of the organization. Sadly, I am a bit relieved that I did not get the position. Most of the people that I encountered seem to be very nice and pleasant. However, I did get the sense in the meeting that a decision had probably already been made before I even showed up for the interview. Two of the interviewees were very distant and did not seem to pay much attention. A few times during the interview these two individuals would ignore me completely and stare at co-workers outside of the interview room. Not a very professional feeling, especially when I had to continually repeat myself.

Interview Questions

• Describe the different raid systems and what you would use them for?   1 Answer

Senior Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

Overall a smooth hiring process. Initial contact was with an internal recruiter. Had to fill out a somewhat cumbersome SAP job application, blame thePlatform's parent company Comcast for this, prior to the actual interview process.

Interviewed with 2 individuals in management and a pair of engineers. Relaxed and organized interview process though I wasn't sure how well I was doing at the time. Evidently well enough since I received an offer

The engineering group I'm a part of is a well-managed group of senior-level engineers and QA. Other teams seem to be similar.

Interview Questions

• Open-ended question about a parking lot. It was purposefully vague to see which direction the interviewee took the problem.   1 Answer

Negotiation

My final offer was only slightly better than my original offer despite my best efforts. Overall the salary figure was a slight drop from my previous job, but the overall benefits package more than compensated for the difference.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at thePlatform (Seattle, WA) in May 2010.

Interview

Read the reviews of the company before I decided to apply and have to say those approval ratings make no sense to me. The entire interview process was a joke starting with the immensely incompetent recruiter who kept rescheduling the interview no less than five times. Then of course there was the final face to face interview. Was interview by several panels of people most of whom did not even introduce themselves. They barked out questions and amazingly one of the hardest people to comprehend happened to be their CTO. I doubt anyone would want to work for a company that makes an interviewee come in at 10:30AM, keeps them there till 4PM without so much as offering them a break for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Describe the process you would use to model the objects in a parking lot   Answer Question