Tower Hill Trading
towerhilltrading.com Chicago, IL 50 to 149 Employees

Tower Hill Trading Proprietary Trader Interview Question

I interviewed in Chicago, IL and was asked:
"what's angle do the hands of a clock make at 1:20?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Proprietary Trader Interview Review - one of 12 Tower Hill Trading Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

80 degrees
- i.c. on Nov 24, 2010 Flag Response
of 1
80 is correct.

you are 1/3 of the way through the 1 and 2. Each area represents 30 degrees. So you are 10 degrees past the 1. That's 20 left, plus the 30 in each of the areas between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4. = 80
- Chase Schwalbach on Jan 20, 2011 Flag Response
of 2
it would be 90 degrees - there's 30 degrees between each hour, 30(3) = 90
- a on Apr 9, 2012 Flag Response
of 0
votes
The hands of a clock travel in a circular pattern so they cover 360 degrees on full rotation.

Between each hour segment (i.e. 12 and 1) there are 30 degrees (360/12 = 30).

At 1:20, the minute hand has traveled 120 degrees (30*4 = 120) which is 4/12 or 1/3 of the full rotation.

This tells us that the hour hand has also traveled 1/3 of the way between 1 and 2.

Since we know there are 30 degrees between 1 and 2, we can calculate that the hour hand has traveled 10 degrees from 1 to 2.

This means the hour hand has traveled a total of 40 degrees past 12.

Now we subtract the 40 degrees that the hour hand has traveled from the 120 degrees that the minute hand has traveled and we get 80 degrees.

The angle between the hour hand and minute hand is 80 degrees.
- youngblood on Jun 21, 2012 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tower Hill Trading interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Tower Hill Trading employees and interview candidates.