zulily

Updated Nov 28, 2014
Updated Nov 28, 2014

2.7

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at zulily.

Communication throughout the process went rather smoothly despite having me correspond with multiple people.
    The process consisted of one recruiter phone call, one 90 minute Excel exercise, one phone interview with the manager and a set of five onsite interviews.
    The onsite interviews were not a pleasant experience. To begin with, each interviewer seemed to be polling you for current things they were working on and not focused on the position. In the middle of the interviews, I was told the position had been filled - that put a damper on the whole thing. To top of the experience, I received an email telling me their decision and not a phone call.
    Overall I did not get a good vibe from the culture while I was there nor did I appreciate wasting my time on a position that had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Open ended: how would you improve our profit? Requested three specific initiatives.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at zulily.

Received two calls, one from recruiter, the second from someone in merchandising. No follow up what so ever from either employee. Seem very unprofessional especially from recruiter, you would think at least a dear john, thanks but no thanks email

Interview Questions
    • none of the questions were difficult, got the feeling one could run circles around the merchandise interviewer. Overall disappointed.   Answer Question

Senior Big Data Hadoop Engineer Interview

2 telephone calls, 1 screening 1 technical. Then after 3 days got invitation of in-person interview in one week. After in-person interview 5 days got the result. The whole process is pretty fast.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are very basic... but need to prepared very well.   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at zulily.

I submitted me resume and cover letter online and then received an email for HR within a week or so. I emailed back to set up a phone call, which also happened within a week or so and from the phone call, we set up an interview. The interview was broken into three parts with 2 leads and then a Manager. Each part was about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • All three sections were pretty conversational, trying to relate working experience to the open position. Nothing too tough.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at zulily in November 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to set up a phone interview with me. She was 30 minutes late to calling me, and emailed me last minute apologizing and passed me on to another recruiter. The phone interview went well, it was fairly easy, although it seemed odd that they didn't know which position I was actually applying for. She immediately asked me to set aside 90 minutes in the next coming week to take an analytics test on Excel. She was an hour and a half late to send me the test. This is a huge time commitment during the workweek so I never set aside another 90 minutes to take the test. Late recruiters are terrible! Not being respectful of someone's time during the work week (or ever) is inexcusable.

Buyer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at zulily.

Not sure why companies have several full time recruiters if they are unable to keep in touch with candidates? I reached out to a Zulily recruiter via LinkedIn, and got a fairly quick response initially. We had an initial phone screening, with the promise of a possible interview the next week. This is when everything went radio silent. I have prompted them for a response a few times, only to receive the same indication that they are hoping to get to it soon. I don't mind being told I am not qualified, or they are "moving ahead with other candidates", but being strung along for months now is extremely unprofessional. I would say that if your full time career is a recruiter- then please keep in touch with candidates and realize that they are pursuing you for a job and would like closure.

Interview Questions
    • The phone screening was very straight forward and inline with most interview processes.   Answer Question

Editorial Photographer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at zulily.

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview a couple weeks later. Phone interview was very quick, just basically went over my resume. The next day I was then contacted by another recruiter to schedule an in-person interview.
    The interview went well, no difficult questions. They seemed to be screening for anyone with too high of expectations. They made it clear that it was a production type studio so I'm not sure why they advertise for "editorial" photographers. They offer very low pay and seem uninterested on the amount of experience you have. They also told me that all photographers start out on the night shift until a day shift opens up.
    I can't say that this would be a bad company for someone fresh out of school but it was far beneath my experience level.
    After the in-person interview they will ask you to do a working interview with one of their photographers. I declined to move forward since this company would not benefit my career.

Interview Questions
    • What are the most important qualities a photographer should have   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at zulily in October 2014.

They contacted me via email, after i had applied online and found several recruiters on LinkedIn. Next i got a phone interview, it was very basic, general questions about what I was looking for and about the salary. next I came in for an excel test and a few more questions. I sat down and took the timed 30 minute test right away, it was harder than I had expected. Need to know retail math and formatting. I didn't pass the test, but the recruiter still showed me around and explained the company culture to me. I was able to take the test again from home later that week. I did not pass again, unsure as to why, I have gone over it a few times since and I know it is all correct. I am guessing the only reason is because it was a few minutes longer than the 30 minute time, as I had to get ink and put it in the printer so i could print the directions off.
    I received an email several days later saying i didn't pass and they were unable to to explain why because they have so many applicants.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at zulily in October 2014.

2 Phone Screen
    5 Onsite interviews

2 Phone screens were easy, few programming questions and design questions. Onsite interview mix of coding, design questions. I thought I did pretty well but did not get the offer.

Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at zulily.

Phone interview was very basic. A week after submitting the application through their job portal site, their HR recruiter sent me an email to set up an phone interview. They respected my schedule and worked around my schedule. Unfortunately, I didn't advance to the next step of hiring process. At least they told me that in stead of making me wonder.

Interview Questions
    • The whole questions were not that hard. Very basic HR questions.   Answer Question