zulily Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, follow up phone screen with hiring manager, then brought in for in person interview. Met 6 people, for 30 - 40 minutes each. Got a good feel for the expected pace and team dynamic. Positive over-all experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you influence people when you have a major road block in your way?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Starting offer was very low. Strong negotiation skills required to move the needle.

Production Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

When I initially heard back from them, I had to complete a copywriting test. After I heard that I passed the test I had a brief phone interview where the recruiter set up an in-person interview. I had that interview the next day and it lasted about 45 minutes. At the end of the interview I had to write and explain product copy on the fly. I was given about three minutes to write an edit it, but since it's only supposed to be one or two sentences, it was more than enough time.

Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with three members of the Accounts Payable team. Everyone was really friendly and the office was very open and modern. It was a bit daunting to think of doing my job amongst 60+ other people doing the exact same thing. I was hesitant because I have heard horror stories from several people who used to work there. They ended up making me an offer of less than I was currently making, and when I said no, they offered to match what I was making. I was earning the EXTREME low end of the scale for Accounts Payable, so I turned it down.

Interview Questions

• What's a difficult situation you have faced at work and how did you tackle it?   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Zulily recruiter for the position which is a fit to my background. He described clearly about whay they are looking for and asked about my salary expectation. I didn't give a firm answer but got the range from the recuiter. Then an engineer gave me a coding phone interview and a day later I was invited on-site. Recuiter is passionate about me so far. However, it took two days for the on-site interview to be set up and only later I learned that thw position I applied for had been filled duringthe two days. However, the recuiter didn't inform me about this. He hid from me but still arranged an on-site interview for me for the next week. I interviewed with 5 people, didn't get a chance to meet with the recruiter either before or after my interviews which I need my questions to be cleared. I actually did quite well in my technical interviews and one interviewer even said I am the first person who correctly solved his interview problem. But nobody is clear what position I am applying for! After 2 days, I got a template reject email from the recruiter. What I'd like from the recruiter would be to meet with me and tell me about the truth of my application truth. From how he organized my interview, I can see how he was trying to fit me into another engineering position in Zulily but it turns out a waste of time on both me and the team since no one is clear what I was there interviewing for ! If the cruiter had been honest with me...

Interview Questions

• Print out a 2D Spiral matrix.   1 Answer
    • Write SQL to find out the t consecutive seats in a theater with top rank.   1 Answer
    • Design a KPI to find the ware house supply chain picks, ins and outs.   1 Answer

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Reached out to a recruiter, spoke about the different departments and where I would fit best. Came in for a skill test. Came back for an 3 person interview with the hiring department, afterward touched base with the recruiting assistant. Followed up same day and later that week was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Who are zulily's biggest competitors? What do they do that is better? what do we do that is better?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Normal tech interview process - Tech screen and full four round interview. The lunch interview was reserved for eating and the Director described the org structure and how the company works. The technical interviewers focussed on problem solving, design and coding. For a senior role, applicant can get at least 2 design questions and 2 coding questions.

Vendor Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at zulily (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Received a call from a recruiter a few days after I had applied online. She was extremely friendly and asked me a round of generic questions about why I was interested in the position. After the phone call, her coordinator reached out to me immediately about scheduling a phone interview with one of the vendor managers. The phone interview was extremely short and to the point. I received a call from the recruiter a few days later informing me that I had passed the first round of interviews, and that they would like me to come in and have an in-person interview. I arrived at their home office shortly after and within ten minutes I was walked back to the interviewing room. Immediately I felt like the entire interview was being rushed and not once did I feel comfortable or that the interviewers were even interested in what I had to say. The whole thing lasted no more then 25 minutes. They hiring manager informed me that I would be hearing on Friday whether or not I was offered the position (The interview took place on a Tuesday). Friday came and went and I never received a phone call. Then a week went by and I still hadn't heard. I finally reached out to the recruiter and hiring manger and no one EVER got back to me. To this day, I never heard back from anyone at the company. I understand that people are busy, but if you are a recruiter, there is no reason that you can't send a short message informing someone of their decision. After this experience, and hearing what the outlook is on this company, I don't think I will apply again anytime soon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where something fell apart last minute and what you did in order to resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

One screening interview with the recruiter, another one with the hiring manager and then an on-site interview with five team members. The interview process itself is normal. There was one interesting oddity in the interview in that someone told me that another analyst will be starting the following week. This is quite odd as the recruiter told me there was only position open. I'm thinking "Ok, what am I interviewing for here if they've already hired someone?" Sure enough, when I got a call back the week after my on-site interview, they tell me they had made the offer to another person a few weeks even before my second interview. This is honestly sickening. They don't reimburse you for travel. I wasted one work day and one good plane ticket to travel from California to Seattle to interview for a position that wasn't even available. The onsite interview lasted 5 hours. Phone interviews are 45 minutes max. Not only that but someone from the company apparently contacted my current employer so I'm not looking so favorable in my current position. This is very unprofessional so I would highly advise anyone thinking about apply to ask yourself if it's worth the risk.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about zulily? Describe a creative way you've solved a problem. How do you trouble an issue? Mainly all just behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at zulily (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Individual interviews with other managers. Arrived early and visited the facility. It's a bustling place with an easy going, laid back feel. The people I spoke to were friendly and encouraging. I was initially met by the recruiter and then interviewed by a panel. The interview was as I expected and I thought that I would be a good candidate for the position. It was difficult to tell who they were looking for to fill the opening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you led a team through a change process. What did you do?   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Interview

I was referred to a senior recruiter through a family friend. The senior recruiter directed me to a creative recruiter who I had an initial phone call with about different roles and the hiring process. She said I was qualified for the copywriter job. She emailed me the writing test and I took it and promptly sent it back. I didn't hear back for 2 weeks, so I emailed asking about my status. She said they'd never received my writing test. So, I sent it back. A few weeks later (and with no response), I noticed that they were hiring copywriters and editors, so I emailed her the same day they were posted to ask if my writing test had ever gone through because I was still interested in the roles. She told me that they'd already hired for both roles, but to stay in touch with her for future opportunities. I was frustrated with the experience thus far and asked her if I was qualified for the positions. She responded "Yes, please let's stay in touch!" After this, I was no longer interested in zulily at all! The recruiter was vague and unhelpful during this process.