zulily Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at zulily in October 2014.

2 Phone Screen
    5 Onsite interviews

2 Phone screens were easy, few programming questions and design questions. Onsite interview mix of coding, design questions. I thought I did pretty well but did not get the offer.

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at zulily in October 2014.

They contacted me via email, after i had applied online and found several recruiters on LinkedIn. Next i got a phone interview, it was very basic, general questions about what I was looking for and about the salary. next I came in for an excel test and a few more questions. I sat down and took the timed 30 minute test right away, it was harder than I had expected. Need to know retail math and formatting. I didn't pass the test, but the recruiter still showed me around and explained the company culture to me. I was able to take the test again from home later that week. I did not pass again, unsure as to why, I have gone over it a few times since and I know it is all correct. I am guessing the only reason is because it was a few minutes longer than the 30 minute time, as I had to get ink and put it in the printer so i could print the directions off.
    I received an email several days later saying i didn't pass and they were unable to to explain why because they have so many applicants.

Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at zulily.

Phone interview was very basic. A week after submitting the application through their job portal site, their HR recruiter sent me an email to set up an phone interview. They respected my schedule and worked around my schedule. Unfortunately, I didn't advance to the next step of hiring process. At least they told me that in stead of making me wonder.

Interview Questions
    • The whole questions were not that hard. Very basic HR questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at zulily in September 2014.

I interviewed for a software engineer position and having eight years experience found the technical questions relatively easy. In addition to the languages required for the position, I showed them additional code / functionality I had written in AngularJS as well as described my Ruby programming experience, recent GruntJS experience and also showed them a site programmed in Ruby on Rails. This was all in addition to the other coding languages required - PHP, CSS, Javascript/jQuery. My most recent experience was heading up and executing the coding of the front end of a popular ecommerce site, which I programmed from scratch in php, CSS and JS. After enduring two interviews, I heard nothing for nearly a week. After finally emailing the recruiter, she responded a day later saying they thought I was a good fit, but were looking for someone 'a little more technical'. Or was it the fact that I wasn't a male? Something did not add up. My actual tech skills and the websites I coded were clearly not considered. My experience with MySql was also not inquired about, which I have quite a bit of experience with as well. I felt extremely discriminated against as a hard working female in the tech industry. This type of situation may help explain why there are fewer women in tech. Very disheartening to me working in a field I am so passionate about; the industry clearly favors males.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function which passes a file as an argument that checks a file and excludes duplicative words   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at zulily.

I applied for the position online and received an email back right away. I was given a test to see if I would qualify for the job. I passed and received a call the next week to discuss salary, benefits, job description, etc. Then I was invited to an on-site interview the next week. The interview went very well and I was told that if I didn't hear back from someone by a week's time, that I was to give my recruiter a call. Nobody called me, so I attempted to call him, but the number given for him is the main company number which that is automated. I never did figure out his direct line. I did however have a number for his assistant. I called her and of course got a recording. I left a message and I also sent email messages to both of them. She got back to me later that day and asked if she could call me the next week. She did, we talked and apparently I got the job...but for some reason it wasn't available for me at that time. I politely asked how it was that I applied for a job, got the job, but then it wasn't available and what did that mean exactly. It meant that I would need to "hang on" until that position opened up and she didn't know when that would be. I heard back from her about two weeks later and asked me if I would be interested in writing for a different area than the one I had applied for. It was either take it with hopes of switching later or keep on waiting.

Interview Questions
    • How do you maintain work/life balance?   View Answer
    No negotiation. They told me how much it paid and I said yes.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at zulily in September 2014.

Applied for an assistant buyer position on Friday and the recruiter emailed me back Monday afternoon inviting me to take a 30 minute time assessment test. The test was retail excel math. It took me an hour and the recruiter emailed me back saying I did not pass. A few of my formulas were wrong, but I can retake it. I retook it and I still didn't pass. I asked what I did wrong but did not hear back from her. You have to pass the test with everything 100% right or they will not give you an interview. The recruiter did ask to connect with me on LinkedIn.

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at zulily in September 2014.

very professional process. phone interview to advance to a 2-person face to face interview to advance on to a working interview to see if your skill sets are in line with what they need. recruiters are accommodating to your schedule, giving you plenty of time to set up an interview. questions in the interview are general. studying the website is important preparation for interviews. knowing what you are going to contribute and being confident in your abilities is also important.

Interview Questions
    • give an example of a time when you saved on a projects budget and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at zulily in September 2014.

Applied through website. Non-tech phone interview with in-house tech recruiter, then tech phone interview with engineering lead. Basic data structures and algorithms questions.

A bit of a delay after that since a key interviewer was out of town, but on return I was flown out immediately. Full-day interview consisted of more standard tech interview questions but also assessing cultural fit, personal drive & initiative. They knew I had offers in hand, so I had a response by the end of the full-day interview.

Interview Questions
    • Can't share specifics, but if you know your data structures and algorithms, you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Management Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at zulily in September 2014.

Was contacted quickly after I had initially applied, however scheduling the initial phone interview did take some follow up on my end.

Initial phone interview was good, painted a nice picture of the role, team and company, and was asked to come back for a F2F.

F2F interview cycle lasted 5 hours, met with 5 different people of different groups and roles, which allowed for me to understand the needs or the role. I thought everyone I had met with were great, respectful and asked great questions.

It took over two weeks following until I heard back, I even sent an email as a follow up which I never heard anything from until the email requesting for me to come back the following day.......I did go back at a more mutually beneficial time. Surprise its been another few weeks and haven't heard from anyone. At this point I think it is safe to say there won't be an offer of employment sent to me, and if I did receive anything I wouldn't be interested at this point either.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at zulily in September 2014.

Initial process began with phone screen..A gentleman called me on a speaker phone it was very hard to understand what he was saying..Was very disorganized and unprofessional...Was very rushed and seem to lack interest..He said they were hiring 500 people, you would think if that was the case they would be a bit more professional in the process

Interview Questions
    • He never really asked any pointed questions and just kept asking me if I had any questions..He said they were looking for people like me with my background and he would pass my info along to the person in charge of hiring...I never heard anything back...Very unprofessional hiring process..   Answer Question