- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at First Derivatives full-time (more than 5 years)Pros
I have been with First Derivatives for 6.5 years and in that time I have packed quite a lot into my career. FD offers a career with so many opportunities, some of my career highlights:
• Lived in 6 global cities across Europe and North America.
• Projects at several top tier Investment Banks and Hedge Funds.
• Experience in every spectrum of banking: Risk Management, Corporate Banking, Commercial Banking, Front Office, Middle Office, and Back Office.
• Experience in many types of initiatives: Department Transformations, In house Tech build, 3rd party vendor implementation, Regulatory Reform, Outsourcing, and Big Data
Below are some of the key reasons that make FD a positive place to advance your career:
1. Fast Growth: Since I have joined FD the company has increased 10 fold in terms of employee numbers. As the company grows it is becoming a bigger player in the financial services consulting realm
2. Opportunity to travel: FD is a global firm and there is a lot of opportunity to work in other countries. The company provides a lot of support to make the transition from location as smooth as possible.
3. Dedicated to Banking: Unlike most other financial services consulting companies, First Derivatives only engages with banking clients.
4. Clients: FD clients include all of the world’s top investment banks and many of the world’s top hedge funds.
5. Client Focused: Unlike other consulting companies, FD management recognizes that performing at the client is the number one priority, therefore the non client work load is very manageable
6. Meritocracy: Promotions are based on merit and not on length of service. (Though you do have to define your own career path and push hard for promotion).
7. Compensation: Compensation is very competitive, particularly at the more senior levels.
8. Loyalty: Consulting is a people business and sometimes the relationship between the client and the consultant may not work out; FD remains loyal, to proven, consultants in these situations. The management team is also very supportive during time of personal issues
9. Work/Life Balance: Although a strong work ethic is key to being successful at FD, management have a realistic expectation on the workload required and the importance of work/life balanceCons
1. Communication: When on a client engagement communication with management can sometimes be sparse; this can lead to a feeling of isolation
2. Client Feedback: FD have a policy of not requesting consultant performance appraisals from clients, therefore it can be challenging to promote the work that you put in at the clientAdvice to ManagementAdvice
Delegate more personnel management responsibilities from senior management to middle management.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO