Advantage Business Media Photos
“Love this place | Laid-back culture that allows us to innovate, learn and get into a bit of shenanigans!! ”
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time (more than 3 years)RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEORecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
I can honestly say that I love coming in everyday because we have the opportunity to drive the business into new areas that keep us learning and trying new things. We have the autonomy to work with new digital products to achieve our goals and have never had to worry the mentality that we can’t try something different because “that’s the way it’s always been done”.
• Work with rock stars that are smart, capable and love learning.
• Location – Who wants commute into NYC??
• Ideas are listened to and acted on – Senior management is very accessible and open to suggestions - People are heard and anyone can contribute.
• We’re continuing to push the envelope and learn more.
• People are committed and share a sense of purpose. Our group is excited to work with each other and we get to do some great work in the digital space and continue to learn from each other.
• Work within our group is varied, leading to learning new things, interesting opportunities and keeping up with the changes in the digital world.
• Great culture of collaboration and innovative problem solving within our group. Different backgrounds of the team is key to creating best possible results.
• Our new CEO has done a great job with being visible and extremely approachable. He tries to be as transparent as possible with how the company is doing and which direction it is going.
• The company allows us 2 “Volunteer Days” to encourage us to get involved with the community and non-for profits.
• 401 matching and health care.
• Little things like still having a Christmas party, company outings in the summer (bowling, picnic, Spirit of NY cruise, etc.), and fun activities (ping pong tournament, pizza parties, etc).
• Health awareness program – I appreciate the speakers and activities and would love to see this expanded.
• Lunch time Yoga – No explanation needed on this one!
You can’t go wrong when you work with great people in a laid back (though driven) environment where it’s okay to wear shorts and sandals in the summer and for the past few years, even get a few summer Fridays off!!
Overall, I firmly believe the people and projects will advance both your personal and professional goals and you’ll have a great time achieving this!
This is a growing, changing company that has had to make some challenging decisions in order to prepare us for the future. We recently lost some great people and restructured a bit which has taken a toll on the morale, though it has opened up so many exciting opportunities and I’m looking forward to our future.
• It’s not the fault of the company, though health care costs continue to rise, and do to the economic environment, 401 matching has been decreased.
• Salaries are competitive but not fantastic. We’ve had a few great people poached because of this. It’s always a challenge for a company to find the right balance, though in today’s Linkedin world, there are always recruiters out dangling a carrot and trying to lure you away. Interesting enough, we’ve had people leave and then come back, which says a lot about the organization!
• Wouldn't mind more vacation time and holidays, as well as flexibility to work from home without others questioning it. When you hire the right people who are passionate about what they do, you should be able to give them the time to get out and experience life and enjoy their family because this will help charge their batteries and make them even better when they put their mind back on their projects.
• The infamous toaster – I never used it though think we need to finally get a new toaster with an auto off so we can put this to bed!!
Advice to Management
Great company and I’m glad that I’m here! We’re moving in the right direction and I’m excited about all of the opportunities that are in front of us. We’re making a lot of investments in the technology we need and I hope that we can continue to make this same type of investment in our people and culture.
• Continuing to send people/teams to industry conferences, workshops and classes – We can never learn enough and this is the only way we’ll stay ahead.
• Increase the opportunities for different groups to learn from each other and meet each other. The recent all hands sales meeting was excellent and looking forward to similar activities for our editors and other teams.
• Increased holiday parties, picnics, happy hours, and team building retreats to continue to build a strong culture and ABM family. We can learn a lot from folks like Tony Hsieh, Richard Branson, and Herb Kelleher (A Jersey Boy) that have built organizations that continue to experience huge returns because everyone is onboard and believes in their potential.
• More programs and initiatives like the Young Mind Awards where we are giving back and getting involved with the youth/community.
• Celebrate our victories (both corporate and personal).
• Encourage our employees to take the time to socialize and catch up with our coworkers. This goes back to continuing to build an amazing culture.
Having said this, it’s going to be all of us that are going to continue to make ABM a great place and we’re hoping that you’ll continue to keep the laid back / causal environment, be supportive, and open to try new things to retain and recruit the folks we’ll need. I’m certainly looking forward to our future!!
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage InterviewAccepted OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Advantage Business Media (Madison, WI).
Submitted application online. Got a call in a couple days. Scheduled interview for two days later. Got a call back the next week and accepted the job. The interview was casual: interviewers were in jeans and sweatshirts, very informal. Questions were predictable, standard interview questions. Very little discussion about the day-to-day ins and outs of the position.
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Advantage Business Media is an integrated business media company with a diversified portfolio of highly focused print publications, e-newsletters, specialized directories, vertical search databases, conferences, ancillary media vehicles, and associated web-based services. Founded in 2006 with the acquisition of Reed Business Information's New Product Division and building upon a 100 year combined legacy of influential Cahners, Chilton, and Gordon Publications titles, today Advantage Business Media serves more than 1.3 million industry professionals in the science...