An employee-first company
With 30 senior housing communities in three states, it is our great privilege to share in the lives of our residents, and we’re honored to learn the wisdom each person has developed over a lifetime. As a leader in assisted living and memory care, we’re passionate about bringing joy into every day—and rich, new experiences into every life.
We never underestimate the power of a smile, gentle touch and a kind word. Our caring staff provides consistent service, a creative approach to care and a higher quality of life that provides peace of mind for our residents’ families.
Our Staff is the Heart of Our Business
“I knew from the beginning that I wanted to create a culture at Aegis that was unsurpassed in the industry. I have been able to make that vision a reality through the shared efforts of everyone here. My job is to give the employees the tools they need to make their lives better and more enjoyable. After all, the staff are the ones that drive the customer experience. Unless they are absolutely happy, motivated and have a genuinely good feeling about working for the company, you’re never going to get to the customer experience you need to be a success.”
AN EMPLOYEE-FIRST COMPANY
At Aegis Living, we truly believe that each employee is the cornerstone to not only our current success, but also to our future success as a company. We have created a unique company culture that strives to appreciate and support our employees in their career ambitions and in their lives.
Aegis Living has earned the distinction of having the lowest staff turnover rate in the industry. Annual staff turnover is between 23-45%, compared to an industry average of 120%. The low turnover rate translates into better care for its residents and a healthier, better environment for everyone.
Here are a few more examples of how we care for our staff:
- Aegis Living demonstrates that we value our employees in a number of ways, the least of which is the company’s annual meeting, EPIC. This is not your typical company meeting – no business is discussed. The goal of EPIC is the personal development of our employees to empower and enrich their lives. Renowned speakers, energizing activities and support from each other create this life-changing event. In 2011, among our distinguished speakers included: Ted Kennedy Jr, Carlos Santana, Marianne Williamson and Harry Belafonte.
- In 2009, Dwayne started “Economic Calls” for anyone to participate in every 2-3 months. The goal is to give good news first and bad news first. The calls explore our global economy, what is happening across the country, the latest news in our industry and an update about our company. Participation is completely voluntary, starting out with about 100 people and has had upwards of 850 in attendance.
- Through Aegis Living’s Potato Soup Foundation support is given to provide emergency assistance for our Aegis staff. Founded by Dwayne, the 501C-3 is a unique foundation set up to help staff directly. The foundation is funded by senior staff, donations and line staff who want to make contributions. It pays for medical bills, relocations, funeral expenses and education for staff who find themselves in difficult times.
- Each holiday season, employees take part in the Charlie Clause program. Each of our communities nominates a staff member to receive assistance. Toys, food, clothes and other items are given to the chosen recipient each year.
- The annual Winterfest event. During this event, the corporate office resembles a department store. Over the course of a day, employees come in and “shop” for items donated and purchased by the company for them.
- Aegis Living provides employees with a competitive compensation plan, profit sharing and benefits packages. Beyond that, we offer some unique “soft benefits” and there is the “fun factor” encouraged at Aegis Living communities. A committee of employees takes charge of having fun with staff bonding activities such as go-cart racing, bowling, and picnics.
- Aegis Living contributes to employee well-being through its extensive education and training. The management team has designed and implemented a series of progressive employee training programs through the Aegis Academy that have proven highly beneficial, garnering employees with a comprehensive understanding of the sensitivities of aging as well as highly specialized dementia training.
HIRING THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST
Aegis Living wants people who are not just looking for a job, but who are looking for an exceptional career opportunity. It is our commitment to provide careers that are stimulating, rewarding, challenging and a personal source of pride and growth. We want Aegis Living to be, without question, your best career experience.
We are proud to say that for a number of years we have been voted as one of the best places to work.
We are committed to “Making Lives Better” – not only for our residents but for our employees and their families as well. We know that our employees are the foundation for our success so a competitive benefits package is just one way that we say “Thank You” for the love and compassion that they show our residents everyday. We look forward to having you as a part of the Aegis Living family.
Aegis Living is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees. We continually evaluate our benefit offerings to ensure that we remain competitive – not only with other companies in our industry, but also with other companies in the communities in which we live and work. Our employees have the choice between two medical plans, dental plan and vision plan for their healthcare needs. Aegis shares in the cost for dependent coverage. We also offer flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan through American Funds.
Our employee recognition program includes tuition assistance, home mortgage discount program, vacation, sick, holiday pay and appreciation days. Appreciation days are time that an employee earns through tenure; these days off are in appreciation for all of the wonderful things that our employees do. We also have an innovation program that allows our employees to make a unique difference in the company through their suggestions.
We know how important it is to love where you work. Our fun committees at each community were developed to nurture and foster fun at work. We have set this precedent with events such as: international potlucks, pizza parties and movie screenings. The only limitation is imagination.
Aegis Extras is an ever-expanding program of special services and discounts available to Aegis employees. This program features products and services at discounted rates for all active Aegis employees.
We realize how important it is for each employee to fully understand the expectations of his or her job and what it takes to be successful in their position. Our Career Development Initiative establishes behavioral competencies in the areas of Leadership, Interpersonal and Technical for positions in all of our communities. The information was obtained through a comprehensive job analysis process with our employees that specifically identified the competencies necessary to be successful in each role.
The tangible results of this initiative are:
- Consistent job descriptions and expectations
- Creates more accurate and objective performance appraisals
- Establishes customized career paths for our employees
- Consistent metrics to measure performance
- Ability to align training to targeted competencies
- Rewards employees for their job performance by establishing a true pay for performance program
This level of investment will provide employees with the knowledge, resources and support to be successful in their role, have career development opportunities and to be fairly reward for their level of performance. The highest priority of Aegis Living is to be able to attract and retain high-caliber people, because our success depends on your success.
WHAT WE DO IS A “WORK OF HEART”
Our caregivers have the biggest hearts that extend far beyond their job titles or job descriptions. They never hesitate to go that extra mile for the care and happiness of our residents. Here are a few examples of many!
In a recent session of Karaoke at Aegis of Pleasant Hill, our Maintenance Director, Billcrooned for our beloved residents. Delighted that our handyman was behind the microphone, he drew a large crowd and even bigger smiles. It turns out that our rugged Mr. Fix-It was a silky smooth voice.
At Aegis of Napa, our Resident Services Director, Becky, took a new resident to a recent dentist appointment. Jane was scared and nervous about her appointment, so Becky stayed by her side and held her hand through the dental procedure. The dentist and his staff were so impressed by the care given by Becky – especially knowing the strong grip that Jane had on her fingers! A truly grateful and relieved Jane said that nowhere compared to the care and love that she has received from the staff at Aegis Living.
Our new resident, Robert, at Aegis of Carmichael was adjusting to his new routine. One night at dinner, Chef Steve stopped by his table to see how he liked his meal. Robert had great things to say, but he was afraid that he had left his upper teeth on his dinner plate. Chef said not to worry that he would find them. He donned his gloves and proceeded to sort through the garbage to look for the missing dentures. He was determined to not let Robert down, but could not find the lost teeth.
Regrettably, Chef Steve went to Robert’s room to let him know how hard he tried to find them. It was then that Steve had an idea and asked Robert to smile. Robert, being a very amicable man, flashed him a big smile. There were the “missing” teeth! They shared a big laugh and said goodnight. At Aegis of Carmichael, we will do whatever it takes to bring a smile to those we care for.
One of our outstanding care managers at Aegis of Dana Point, Bryon, works in Life’s Neighborhood with our residents with memory loss. To stay strong and get some exercise our resident, Dean, needs to walk everyday – but he is not always a willing participant. Knowing that Dean was in the Navy as a young man, Bryon decided to try something new one day and ask Dean to “march” with him. And it worked! Everyday, you can find Bryon and Dean “marching” the halls, having fun and getting his needed exercise. It is this creativity and compassion of care managers, like Bryon, that makes Aegis Living so special.
Jenette, one of our excellent Care and Medication Managers at Aegis of Dana Point, always goes out of her way to provide special care for all of our residents. One day, Jenette was helping one of our residents, Becky, with her medication but Becky was upset. She didn’t want to see anyone, didn’t want to talk and didn’t want to take her medication. Jenette knew that Becky was an excellent organ player and had a cassette tape of her favorite organ music. Jenette put the tape on. As the music began to play, Becky began to smile. Moving along to the music as if she was playing it herself, she began to cry happy tears.. Before long, Becky had given her the medication and her whole attitude had changed.
At Aegis of San Rafael, we want you to consider us your second family. One of our new residents, Leslie, needed to see his doctor. Leslie is a gentleman in his 80′s and wheelchair bound. When Leslie was ready to go, Erick, our Maintenance Director offered to drive him. Erick loaded Leslie in the van and off they went. When they got to the doctor’s office, Erick helped him out of the van and into the office. Erick told Leslie he would wait outside for him. Leslie got upset and insisted that Erick accompany him while the doctor examined him. Erick agreed. The doctor made a comment about what a nice son Leslie had. Leslie smiled and said, “he’s almost my son.”
At Aegis of Ventura, we know that music has a healing power on our residents with dementia. Our Care Manager, Yoslyn, was happily dancing with Carl, a resident in Life’s Neighborhood™ which was surprising since Carl is usually very reserved, quiet and does not smile much. But he was smiling and even giving her directions on how they should move. We love to provide unexpected opportunities for our residents to experience happy memories from their past and to create new ones with our caring staff.
Our housekeeper, Manjit, at Aegis Lodge has been with the company for over seven years and is critical support for the daily care of all our residents. Our resident, Richard, recently lost his wife. Richard had received a new shirt, folded and wrapped in paper from his daughter to wear to the funeral. Richard was having a hard time with the shirt, which was terribly wrinkled. Manjit happily stepped in to unwrap the shirt and lovingly iron it. She helped Richard knot his tie, so he could look his best on that difficult day.
Some of our most loving and patient caregivers come on four legs. These include the eager dogs and cats that are part of our homes. They are always there with endless amounts of unconditional love and patience for our residents, family and guests. These furry caregivers have the power to calm the agitated, bring laughter to the sad and the warmth to heal loneliness.
Aegis Living Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Aegis Living full-time (less than a year)RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEORecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Aegis is a very people-driven culture. It is very obvious they care about their employees and about their concerns. I work in the nursing side of Aegis and it is obvious that they communicate well, treat employees with dignity and respect, and have little "treats" that help employees (such as $1 lunches and $5 family meals).
They have little get-togethers every morning called "stand up" where you can pretty much talk freely about what's happening in Aegis or in your life. It's a very personal way to communicate.
I consider the pay to be competitive with some drawbacks (see the Cons section), but I do consider Aegis is a company of opportunity and growth as there are general managers within the company that are also registered nurses.
As a nurse these are the following cons:
1. There is no differential for an evening/noc shift. As such there is sometimes fierce competition for scheduling for "prime" shifts as there is no incentive to work an evening or a NOC shift.
2. Vacation hours are hard to come by. 90 days have to be worked before you see an hour of vacation pay, although sick time is provided after 30 days.
3. OT is pretty much necessary in order to function properly here.
Advice to Management
While I do consider the salary/pay to be competitive, I feel that there is not enough incentive for a person to take a NOC shift from a day shift position. This, to me, is one of the biggest concerns because scheduling is then based on a seniority position on high-demand shifts.
I would expect a high-class organization like Aegis to pay nursing (and care managers) the same differentials (or at least introduce one) for those who have to work an evening or nocturnal shift with the differentials scaled as appropriate.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
I applied in-person. The process took a week – interviewed at Aegis Living.
Casual interview with the General Manager. Toured the community and was able to see what the company was really like. The interview was not tough, more conversation based. They care less about experience and how about how you fit within the company culture and interact with others.
- Nothing difficult. If you can carry on a conversation its pretty simple. Answer Question
Áegis Living is a national leader in assisted living and memory care, providing the finest in senior lifestyle and living options available, “We’re the people who make life better” emphasizes health, quality of life, well-being and community.
Founded in 1997 and headquartered in Redmond, WA, privately- held Áegis Living operates 30 communities in Washington, California and...
Mission: Our Mission is outlined in our SERVICE acronym. Contact us to learn more.