American Family Insurance
- We've been around since 1927. Though we started small—offering only auto insurance in Wisconsin—we now sell multiple products in 19 states.
- American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. Simply put, "all your protection under one roof."
- We're a mutual company. That means our customers and owners are one in the same.
- Our customer relationships have helped us build a strong and stable company with more than $5.4 billion in policyholder equity.
American Family understands that when we treat our employees well, they treat our customers well. And that means everybody wins.
As an active member of the places we serve, American Family affects positive social and environmental changes. This results in stronger, more vibrant communities. Some of our employees have been so satisfied with their jobs they've been actively contributing to our success for 40 years or more. (We have a "Sporty 40" club for those who reach the four-decade milestone.)
Treating employees right begins their first day on the job. Here's how one new call center employee described her initial experience:
"I was nervous, but everyone did a lot to help me prepare. Even before I accepted the position, I got to sit with a call representative so I could see exactly what I'd do every day. Then, once I was hired, I went through a five-week training program. On my last day of training, I got a mentor. She sat with me during each call and jumped in if I got stuck. And she was there to help as long as I needed her."
Why does American Family take sustainable practices so seriously? It all comes down to our triple bottom line.
First, we're all about helping people. Whatever we can do to improve life for our own and future generations is in our best interest. That's called social responsibility.
We also understand that all businesses are dependent on trees, air and water. It would be wrong not to do whatever we can to protect and preserve these valuable natural resources. That's called environmental stewardship.
And finally, we have a commitment to our policyholders to be profitable. Because there are definite economic benefits to green practices, we need to keep them at the forefront. That's called financial responsibility.
Here are some of examples of how we're achieving our sustainability goals:
- All of our owned facilities are ENERGY STAR rated, and several of our larger facilities have attained the prestigious ENERGY STAR certification.
- We have implemented more than 50 energy saving solutions that, combined, are reducing greenhouse gas emissions by the equivalent of 1,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide a year.
- In 2009, our employees in the Madison area recycled 813 tons of paper—equivalent to saving almost 14,000 mature trees.
- Since beginning our recycling efforts in 1989, we have recycled more than 25 million pounds of paper, generating $821,883 in combined paper rebate and landfill cost savings.
- We upgraded our Madison headquarters cooling tower to soft water, saving three million gallons of water per year, the equivalent of 4.5 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- Through private equity funds, we invest in clean technology companies from a broad range of sectors, including alternative energy, energy conservation, waste management, clean water and pollution reduction.
American Family Insurance Photos
I worked at American Family InsurancePros
Great company to work for.Cons
Not committed to vested employeesAdvice to ManagementAdvice
Do betterDoesn't RecommendNegative OutlookDisapproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Interview Details
Seems most of the time they know who they want. They put employees through the interview process when they have already made their decision. It is very discouraging for employees to just go through a process.Interview Questions
- Star type questions View Answer
For more than 80 years, American Family Insurance has given its customers peace of mind by making their insurance experience easy and convenient. Our caring agents strive hard to meet customers' unique needs by offering just the right mix of American Family's auto, home, life, umbrella, business, health, and farm & ranch insurance, as well as retirement products. Located...
Mission: Inspire, protect and restore dreams