American Family Insurance
- We've been around since 1927. Though we started small—offering only auto insurance in Wisconsin—we now sell multiple products in 19 states.
- American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. Simply put, "all your protection under one roof."
- We're a mutual company. That means our customers and owners are one in the same.
- Our customer relationships have helped us build a strong and stable company with more than $5.4 billion in policyholder equity.
American Family understands that when we treat our employees well, they treat our customers well. And that means everybody wins.
As an active member of the places we serve, American Family affects positive social and environmental changes. This results in stronger, more vibrant communities. Some of our employees have been so satisfied with their jobs they've been actively contributing to our success for 40 years or more. (We have a "Sporty 40" club for those who reach the four-decade milestone.)
Treating employees right begins their first day on the job. Here's how one new call center employee described her initial experience:
"I was nervous, but everyone did a lot to help me prepare. Even before I accepted the position, I got to sit with a call representative so I could see exactly what I'd do every day. Then, once I was hired, I went through a five-week training program. On my last day of training, I got a mentor. She sat with me during each call and jumped in if I got stuck. And she was there to help as long as I needed her."
Why does American Family take sustainable practices so seriously? It all comes down to our triple bottom line.
First, we're all about helping people. Whatever we can do to improve life for our own and future generations is in our best interest. That's called social responsibility.
We also understand that all businesses are dependent on trees, air and water. It would be wrong not to do whatever we can to protect and preserve these valuable natural resources. That's called environmental stewardship.
And finally, we have a commitment to our policyholders to be profitable. Because there are definite economic benefits to green practices, we need to keep them at the forefront. That's called financial responsibility.
Here are some of examples of how we're achieving our sustainability goals:
- All of our owned facilities are ENERGY STAR rated, and several of our larger facilities have attained the prestigious ENERGY STAR certification.
- We have implemented more than 50 energy saving solutions that, combined, are reducing greenhouse gas emissions by the equivalent of 1,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide a year.
- In 2009, our employees in the Madison area recycled 813 tons of paper—equivalent to saving almost 14,000 mature trees.
- Since beginning our recycling efforts in 1989, we have recycled more than 25 million pounds of paper, generating $821,883 in combined paper rebate and landfill cost savings.
- We upgraded our Madison headquarters cooling tower to soft water, saving three million gallons of water per year, the equivalent of 4.5 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- Through private equity funds, we invest in clean technology companies from a broad range of sectors, including alternative energy, energy conservation, waste management, clean water and pollution reduction.
American Family Insurance Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at American Family Insurance full-time (more than an year)Pros
Committed employees who give you the room to grow and advance your career with American Family. The Agent I worked for in the Madison area was great and very encouraging. I truly feel like your hard work gets noticed at AmFam. If it wasn't for my partner's job relocation I would have worked for the corporate office. Potentially 3 promotions within a 2 year span.Cons
Sometimes getting time off could be a hassle and you get an employee at corporate who could be more challenging to work with, but this was minor.RecommendsApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online – interviewed at American Family Insurance.Interview Details
No phone interview, called by HR woman to come in for a face to face. I arrived and she kept me waiting for 10 minutes, was extremely rude and disrespectful, ripped apart my resume, belittled my education/experience and was extremely abrasive. I emailed her when I got home and said I was no longer interested.Interview Questions
- Asked about gaps in employment, where I went to high school, how old I was, why I didnt work in college and insinuated that I couldn't balance school and work. View Answer
Even confirmed bachelors can get insured through American Family Mutual Insurance. The company and its subsidiaries specialize in personal and commercial property/casualty insurance. Its coverage products include auto, homeowners, farm and ranch, and commercial liability. Its subsidiaries also offer life insurance and annuities and health plans. The company operates in 19 states, primarily in the midwestern and western US. It is among the largest US property/casualty mutual insurance companies (State Farm is the biggest). Its policies are underwritten by American Family...