Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the globe, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people. People who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen strives to serve patients by transforming the promise of science and biotechnology into therapies that have the power to restore health or even save lives. In everything we do, we aim to fulfill our mission to serve patients. And every step of the way, we are guided by the values that define us.
Our Mission: To Serve Patients
Our success depends on superior scientific innovation, integrity and continuous improvement in all aspects of our business through the application of the scientific method. We see the scientific method as a multi-step process that includes designing the right experiment, collecting and analyzing data and rational decision making. It is not subjective or emotional, but rather a logical, open and rational process. Applying the scientific method in all parts of the organization is expected and highly valued.
Compete Intensely and Win
We compete against time, past performance and industry rivals to rapidly achieve high quality results. Winning requires taking risks. We cannot be lulled into complacency by previous achievements. Though we compete intensely, we maintain high ethical standards and demand integrity in our dealings with competitors, customers, partners and each other.
Create Value for Patients, Staff and Stockholders
We provide value by focusing on the needs of patients. Amgen creates a work environment that provides opportunities for staff members to reach their full potential. We strive to provide stockholders with superior long-term returns while balancing the needs of patients, staff and stockholders.
We are relentless in applying the highest ethical standards to our products, services and communications.
Trust and Respect Each Other
Every job at Amgen is important and every Amgen staff member is important. We attract diverse, capable and committed people and provide an environment that fosters inclusion, respect, individual responsibility and values diversity. Trust is strengthened through personal initiative and by obtaining quality results rapidly.
Quality is a cornerstone of all of our activities. We seek the highest quality information, decisions and people. We produce high quality products and services. Quality is woven into the fabric of everything we do.
Work in Teams
Our teams work quickly to move scientific breakthroughs from the lab through the clinic to the marketplace and to support other aspects of our business. Diverse teams working together generate the best decisions for patients, staff and stockholders. Our team structure provides opportunities for Amgen staff to impact the direction of the organization, to gain broader perspective about other functions within Amgen and to reach their full potential.
Collaborate, Communicate and Be Accountable
Leaders at Amgen seek input and involve key stakeholders in important decisions. In gathering input, strong leaders will welcome diverse opinions, conflicting views and open dialogue for serious consideration. They will clearly communicate decisions and rationale openly and in a timely manner. Once a decision is made, the leader and members of the team will all be accountable for the results and for implementing the decision rapidly.
Our staff members have tremendous passion and dedication to serving patients and living the Amgen values. This means having the initiative to stretch, grow and take advantage of the many development opportunities available to them. Amgen promotes this commitment with a wide variety of formal training and education, including technical, functional and companywide programs. Additionally, our competitive tuition reimbursement program makes ongoing education easier to experience and enjoy.
Amgen also views professional relationships as an integral part of growth. Our supportive and inclusive environment encourages mentorship and coaching. Individuals who initiate these relationships discover that ongoing informal feedback and two-way communication are readily available to them. Through additional programs, such as 360 degree developmental feedback and performance-based eFeedback, all staff members receive the chance to develop their capabilities and continually improve their performance.
While formal training and relationships are valuable, we recognize that a major catalyst to growth is the work people do. With the wide variety of science-based, data-driven projects that are continually under way at Amgen, individuals often branch off from their core work and increase their capabilities by taking on new or additional responsibilities. This flexibility may allow them to experience different areas of the company, expand their knowledge base and receive on-the-job training in a variety of skill areas. In turn, out talented and well-rounded staff base enables Amgen to face competitive challenges and meet our commitment to serve patients around the world.
Amgen offers staff members a Total Rewards package, which includes competitive base pay and bonus opportunities, excellent benefits, an outstanding work environment and opportunities for career development. Through these comprehensive offerings, every individual has the chance to achieve significant growth, both financially and professionally.
Our Total Rewards program is benchmarked against leading biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies to ensure our programs are competitive with the very best employers. Through our performance-based bonus plan and our Long Term Incentive (LTI) program, we continue to provide our staff with the possibility of additional rewards with the potential to far exceed the median of our competitor group.
Health and Wellness
Comprehensive, affordable health care coverage is one of the cornerstones of Amgen’s benefits program. We offer the choice of a PPO and HMOs in many locations, as well as a number of programs that help make it easier to stay healthy and to balance work and life demands. Health coverage includes medical, prescription drug, and vision coverage; dental benefits; and access to our Personal Effectiveness Program (PEP), which provides counseling referrals and crises counseling.
Amgen also offers a wide variety of wellness programs including:
- Access to health resources such as an online health risk assessment tool; personal health coaches and many more tools
- A health care flexible spending account
- On-site fitness facilities in most locations and reimbursement for local gym membership for other locations
- Nutritional counseling
- Recreation, healthy living and fitness classes
- Tobacco-free environments at all Amgen campuses
Disability Coverage & Life Insurance
Amgen provides staff members and their families with protection from the unexpected. We offer company paid disability benefits and basic life insurance equal to twice your base pay. Individuals can also supplement these benefits with additional disability and life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance coverage.
Amgen knows it can be challenging to balance different commitments and priorities. For that reason, we offer the following benefits and resources:
- Generous vacation time and at least 17 paid holidays annually which includes two paid week-long shutdowns each year, as well as adoption and leave-of-absence benefits
- Amgen also supports the educational priorities of our staff through a tuition reimbursement plan
- Flexible work arrangements including flextime, telecommuting, remote work, part-time and job-sharing
- A variety of family resources are available which includes a dependent care flexible spending account, work/life resources and referrals, and child care services and support
- Voluntary benefits including a group legal plan, long-term care insurance, and group auto and homeowners insurance
Preparing for Retirement
Amgen offers a competitive retirement benefits program that gives staff the opportunity to build retirement assets throughout their careers at Amgen and to help them prepare for a financially secure future. Programs include:
- A 401(k) retirement and savings plan that provides a core contribution of 5% as well as a company matching contribution of 100% of staff contributions up to 5 % of eligible pay. Additionally, Amgen provides a professional, customized financial-advice service to help staff make informed investing decisions specific to their retirement planning strategy--at no cost to staff members.
- A retiree medical saving account with a company matching contribution that provides staff an opportunity to save for eligible health care expenses after retirement
- Access to a retiree health care plan after retiring from Amgen
- An Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) which gives staff an opportunity to buy Amgen stock at a discount
- For eligible staff, a supplemental retirement plan and a deferred compensation plan
Amgen believes that having fun and enjoying life are as important as working hard. We have sponsored and participated in numerous extracurricular teams and hold annual activities including chili cook-offs.
NOTE: The foregoing is a general description of Amgen benefits, which benefits are subject to change or termination at any time and may vary according to location. To the extent any statements above are inconsistent with the controlling plan or program documents, the terms of the applicable plan or program document control.
Amgen is committed to promoting and maintaining an inclusive, high-performing culture where all team members embrace and leverage each others’ talents and backgrounds, nourish innovative thinking, achieve their full potential and contribute to Amgen’s success. Our commitment to diversity is articulated in our core values and reflected in every part of our organization.
Diversity & Inclusion Mission
Enhance business performance by attracting, developing and retaining an engaged, diverse workforce.
The Business Case for Diversity & Inclusion
Organizations that are able to provide effective leadership, engage staff and create an environment of inclusion are the ones that research indicates have better long term business results. At Amgen, we understand that strategically creating an inclusive work environment for our talented and diverse workforce builds motivation, enhances problem solving and fosters innovation. This will result in creating a competitive advantage for us today, tomorrow and into the future.
Diversity & Inclusion Strategy
Amgen’s ongoing commitment to Diversity & Inclusion efforts include:
- Executive sponsorship of our numerous Affinity Groups, Diversity Councils and Women’s Leadership Council.
- Integration of diversity into our sourcing, engagement and talent development practices.
- Tailored leadership development programs, business essential skills workshops and mentoring opportunities for our Affinity Group Leaders and members.
- Equipping our leaders with the skills to develop and engage diverse teams across all of Amgen.
Participation in Affinity Groups and their sponsored activities helps create an inclusive environment for our talented and diverse workforce. Affinity Group leaders are provided tailored leadership development programs, business essential skills workshops and mentoring opportunities. Our goals include cultivating an inclusive culture in order to engage each staff member to maximize their skills, capacities and talents throughout Amgen.
- Amgen Asian Association (AAA)
- Amgen Black Employees Network (ABEN)
- Amgen Ability Bettered through Leadership and Education (ABLE)
- Amgen Diversity Councils (ADC)
- Amgen International Network (AIN)
- Amgen Indian Subcontinent Network (AISN)
- Amgen Latin Employees Network (ALEN)
- Amgen Middle Eastern Employees Network (AMEEN)
- Amgen Network for Gay and Lesbian Employees (ANGLE)
- Amgen Veterans Employees Network (AVEN)
- Amgen Women’s Interactive Network (AWIN)
- Diversity Councils (Colorado & Rhode Island)
Amgen offers numerous programs that support professional development goals, while our team-based environment nurtures leadership skills. As part of leadership development, supplier diversity programs and hands-on diversity training are provided to all staff members. To advance our most important objectives, we place individuals with diverse skills and talents together in multi-disciplinary teams. This teamwork can make a crucial difference as we advance scientific breakthroughs from the laboratory through clinical trials to the marketplace.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
I have been working at Amgen full-time
Good benefits and pay and bonus
slow decision making persists today
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amgen (Newark, NJ).
Very professional. Two Sales Managers for the company. The company from my understanding lacks diversity. One manager dominated the conversation. I think he already had a candidate in mind.
- star format question 1 Answer
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high...
Mission: To serve patients