It’s a New Day
Life Technologies has combined with Thermo Fisher Scientific (NASDAQ: TMO) to create an unrivaled industry leader. The Life Technologies brand is now one of Thermo Fisher’s four premier product brands, which include Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services brands.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
1. Improve the World. At Thermo Fisher Scientific you can do good work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world. One that is working to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
2. Become the Best. We strive to make you better than you ever thought you could be by providing networks, creative interaction with peers, stretch assignments, training and a brand that stands for something meaningful. We also empower you to sustain your well being with a wide array of health, wellness, financial, and supplemental benefits.
3. Do Meaningful Work. We all want to derive meaning from our daily activities. That’s why our leaders are focused on ensuring your work is as challenging, meaningful and as engaging as it can be. You are empowered to continually seek new opportunities that strengthen our product leadership position, improve lives through science, enrich our customer experience and refine our employee experience.
4. Innovate. We’ve been recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, your imagination and creativity are encouraged and rewarded. Check out one of our innovative businesses below:
5. Be Yourself. Our diverse workforce and inclusive work environment help us harness the collective creative energy required for breakthroughs in productivity and innovation that are foundational to product leadership.
6. Work Abroad. Our global presence in more than 50 countries offers you the chance to work for a company that is fully networked and doing amazing things around the world.
7. Share Your Passion. You’ll be part of a high performing work team, full of enthusiastic, energetic people who are passionate about making a difference in the world.
8. Define Your Destiny. We offer resources that match your professional development interests, a culture that welcomes your ideas, the scope of business to help you pursue other disciplines and the global footprint to explore opportunities around the world.
9. Give Back. Our Giving Back at Life Program offers you year-round opportunities to help others in need and to support your local community.
10. Deliver on a Promise. The promise of science. The promise of the future. The promise of change. We are always challenging the status quo, always finding better ways to make people healthier and safer, our communities better places to live, our environment cleaner and our products more purposeful.
Volunteering in our local communities has long been the cornerstone of our efforts to support and strengthen our communities. Even as we strengthen our strategic philanthropic efforts, employee dedication to giving back year-round as a global team continues to be one of the company’s proudest citizenship achievements.
In 2012, we were selected as one of the top 50 community-minded companies in the United States by the National Conference on Citizenship and Points of Light. Companies selected not only engage and work to benefit their communities; they make community engagement an integral part of their corporate culture and recognize that community involvement can have a bottom-line impact.
Global Volunteer Day
Global Volunteer Day is a day when all employees and their families come together to volunteer for a full day of service to their local non-profit partners. Learn more >
Community Service Projects
Employees regularly volunteer in activities varying from sorting food and painting non-profit offices to building bikes for underprivileged kids. For information on bringing employees to your non-profit for a group service project, please email us here.
Sharing Our Talents
A cooperative venture between Giving Back at Life and The Life Technologies™ Foundation, InnovatioNation is designed to bring the innovative, hands-on science of Life Technologies into the classroom and inspire the next generation of scientists. The program includes multiple components developed to create excitement about a career in life science, including:
- A tour of our facilty
- An opportunity to meet Life Technologies employees and have a career discussion
- The chance to do a cutting-edge science experiment with a Life Technologies scientist in their classroom
Moving our supply chain forward
Delivering on our promise of continuous innovation relies on our commitment and dedication to excellence in how we plan, make, and deliver the highest quality products to our customers. From planning and logistics to quality and distribution, we are looking for dedicated, team-oriented professionals who want to make a difference.
Operations rotation program
We have designed this 2-year program to attract and build future supply chain leaders. Through four 6-month rotations, the program provides you the opportunity to build broad business knowledge in areas including Manufacturing, Supplier Quality, Supply Planning, Logistics, and Project Management. The specific rotations will be determined based on your interest and background, and the business needs. This program is a tremendous opportunity to work side by side with supply chain leaders at one of the most respected global biotechnology companies in the world.
- Over 50 distribution and manufacturing sites
- Over 50,000 products
- Over 3,000 operations employees
- Award-winning manufacturing that meets applicable global regulatory requirements
- Dedicated to continuous improvement and operational excellence
- Mechanical engineers
- Electrical engineers
- Industrial engineers
- Civil engineers
- Chemical engineers
- Quality, business excellence, and Lean Six Sigma leaders
- Supply chain and distribution
- Environmental Health & Safety
Our mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer—drives our commitment to sustainability. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, sustainability is about smart decision making – it’s how we consider the economic, environmental, and social impacts of the business decisions we make. We are becoming an ever more sustainable company by transforming science, revolutionizing our value chain, and engaging stakeholders—our triple bottom line.
From the science and solutions we pioneer, to challenging our way of doing things every day, to the value we place on employees, we believe we have an obligation to help humanity thrive. Our progress is made possible by our sustainability team—all 50,000 Thermo Fisher Scientific employees who continuously strive to find a better way. Our common commitment is making us a smarter, more efficient, better company overall.
We partnered with CoolClimate Network (CCN) to expand carbon calculator data to include over fifty countries to help citizens around the globe better understand and manage their carbon impacts. This partnership also resulted in the development of Step Forward, a carbon calculator that helps employees, customers, and friends and families discover and lighten their carbon impact.
Recognized for sustainability excellence, we have been honored with inclusion on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations list, FTSE4Good Index, Bloomberg-Maplecroft Climate Innovation Index Leaders, among others.
Our employees drive our sustainability performance by challenging the status quo. “Business as usual” for us is about delivering continuous improvement and value to our triple bottom line.
I worked at Applied Biosystems
Passionate and bright team. People enjoyed working there. For a biotech company had good work/life balance. Foster City campus was easy to reach from various spots on the peninsula and east bay.
The merger with Invitrogen changed everything. The culture was totally different post-merger when it became Life Technologies, which was too bad. Lots of people left.
Advice to Management
Should never have agreed to the acquisition. I would still be there if it was still ABI
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Applied Biosystems (Newark, NJ) in January 2009.
Phone interview first with management and HR. Then dinner with HR and Management for formal interview (good dinner and bottle of wine!), Questions were technical, experience base, critical thinking, and customer service oriented questions. A backgroud check and a drug test to follow. From first communication to first day on job was about 3-4 weeks. On boarding experience in the first month was weak. Felt like I was just floating around but then I settled in to it quit quickly.
Some room for negotiation. Start high...you can always go down but very difficult to go back up.
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our four premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Life Technologies, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies...