BSI is the business standards company that helps organizations all over the world make excellence a habit. For more than a century we have been challenging mediocrity and complacency to help embed excellence into the way people and products work. That means showing businesses how to improve performance, reduce risk and achieve sustainable growth. As a global leader in helping organizations improve, our clients range from high profile brands to small, local companies in 150 countries worldwide.
Working for BSI Group opens your mind to the world around you. Everywhere you turn, you’ll find our work being used by thousands or even millions of people, consciously or subconsciously, in their everyday home and business lives.
We’ve come along way since being founded in 1901. Today, we’re a global business services organization, respected world over for the development of standards; assessment of management systems; testing and certification of products and services; providing software solutions; and the delivery of training courses. We offer diverse career paths from auditing to sales, product development to finance, and from IT to marketing. And with our 2,500 staff employed in over 140 countries it means that career opportunities are vast.
It’s often said that staff are a company’s most important asset. But at BSI this isn't just mantra; we look only for the best and most talented individuals who can achieve at the highest level in order for the business to be successful and to grow. We want employees who:
- Can deliver and strive for superior performance, and who can achieve challenging objectives
- Are proactive with people and can lead by example
- Can demonstrate passion for the business and can inspire others
- Have integrity, ensuring that business is conducted in an ethical manner
- Have commercial focus, understanding customers’ needs and adding value.
We expect our staff to work hard, but in return we offer a very attractive and competitive rewards package.
Training and development is integral to our individual growth and performance improvement, and ultimately contributes to our success as a business.
Employee Journey at BSI
This is the moment when someone choosesto join us because they want to be part of a global, client focused business that is committed to continual improvement, and they are looking for a company that values their energy and enthusiasm alongside their expertise and experience.
Be part of
During the first weeks at BSI every new colleague should feel they’ve made the right choice and that they want be part of a great company and great team. We all have a role to play in getting our colleagues off to an excellent start.
We are committed to helping each person achieve their full potential andthere is a wide range of support and learning opportunities to help each one of us develop new skills and continually improve.
Every day the difference you make to your team's and to the company's success is recognized and appreciated. Your opinion is listened to and valued.
Whatever you aspire to individually, whether it's a new challenge or to continue to enrich your current role, you'll be supported in gaining the skills and experience needed. As BSI continues to grow, the opportunities to move into new roles will increase, therefore we are committed to continual development, job enrichment and succession planning.
Our core values
We are a company that develops and delivers products and services in a truly inclusive way, we are committed to continual improvement and we work with the highest level of integrity. These values guide us in everything we do:
As a Royal Charter company, BSI is a completely independent organization, with no vested interests driving our agenda - so all parties can work confidently with us.
At BSI, we act with impartiality, transparency and professionalism and employ rigorous and consistent standards in everything we do. We always aim to do the right thing and we are prepared to take difficult decisions to achieve this goal.
We have a culture of openness to the ideas and needs of all our stakeholders, especially to those of our clients and colleagues.
We are a client-focussed, performance minded organization, with a commitment to business improvement and innovation at its core. We help our clients embed a culture of continual improvement and be at the forefront of management best practice. We nurture expertise and excellence in how we operate and in the products and services we offer. We help our clients to perform better, innovate for their future growth, and create lasting value.
We work with leading experts to produce best-in-class products and services. We work with and for our clients to get the best results; we listen to what they say and respond to their needs.
We think about our wider responsibilities to our colleagues, business partners, stakeholders and the wider community. We are respectful of the interests of others and the wider public interest.
- Seek to identify and understand customer and stakeholder needs
- Seek to propose solutions that anticipate customer needs and thereby exceed their expectations
- Actively encourage customer feedback, listen to needs, and check customer satisfaction
- Address customer queries in an accurate and timely manner
- Manage customer needs and expectations, making difficult decisions if required
- Adopt an ethical approach in all business dealings in line with BSI's 'Code of Business Ethics'
- Have a ‘can do’, positive attitude with customers
- Involved in setting stretching, clearly defined personal objectives
- Demonstrate a commitment to personal learning and take responsibility for my own development needs
- Recognize personal errors, take action to rectify them, and show learning from mistakes
- Take decisions in consultation with stakeholders to quickly reach an effective solution
- Promote a positive attitude, and proactively seek and act upon constructive feedback
- Actively seek clarity and support when feeling under pressure or uncertain and escalate issues when appropriate
- Show empathy and courtesy to others even when under pressure
- Listen to, and take onboard, the views and feedback of others, even when they are different from my own
- Treat people fairly and with impartiality
- Consistently support and encourage my colleagues / team members
- Deal openly and constructively with conflict
- Display resilience and remain calm under pressure
- Have a clear, honest, unambiguous communication style, avoiding unnecessary jargon
- Consult and involve others and take account of their point of view
- Keep all stakeholders up to date with current information / progress and ask questions to check their understanding
- Gain agreement and commitment from others by positively influencing and persuading
- Actively share knowledge and experience with my team and colleagues
- Think through the impact of my communication on others and adapt my communication style to meet my audience’s requirements
- Lead by example – ‘my actions match my words’
- Deliver on personal and team objectives and commitments - meeting or exceeding expectations
- Take pride in my work and focus on delivering tangible outcomes
- Work collaboratively across the business to deliver results
- Strive to constantly deliver an excellent quality of work and personal behaviour as recognised by others
- Rigorously plan and prioritize work, managing time & resources to achieve goals
- Constructively challenge complacency and the ‘way things are usually done’, and make suggestions for improvement
- Make timely and effective decisions
Leading and Manager Others
- Develop team members and nurture their expertise through mentoring and coaching. Support them in identifying development opportunities
- Provide clarity on the roles and responsibilities of each team member - clearly explaining the contribution they make in achieving business and team goals
- Drive innovation by involving the team in generating ideas and problem solving
- Work with each member the team to set challenging standards of performance and SMART objectives that align to company / business unit strategy
- Articulate the company strategy and make it relevant to the team. Communicate timely business updates and other relevant information
- Take ownership for resolving issues in the team and constructively address under performance
- Empower the team by devolving responsibilities, and trusting them to make decisions and deliver
- Help the team members to improve their performance by providing ongoing performance feedback and encouraging them to see their own strengths
- Be available, accessible and willing to listen to the team. Support them and give honest and fair feedback
- Encourage the team by appreciating and acknowledging what they do well. Show an interest in them as individuals
- Manage the team members' performance to deliver results
Medical coverageisanimportant part ofyour benefitpackage,andsomethingyoushould never bewithout. For 2015, BSI will offer two robust benefit plan designs, both through United Healthcare, to ensure that we’re meeting all employees needs. Both plans are available nationwide and have preventive care covered at 100%, without having to meet a deductible.
Ø Choice Plus PPO – A preferred provider organization (PPO) is a type of health insurance. It is a group of physicians, clinics and hospitals who have entered into an agreement to provide health care at a discounted rate.
Ø Choice Plus HSA - (High Deductible Health Plan with HSA)
Employees enrolled in the Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP) otherwise known as a high deductible health plan (HDHP) may participate in a Health Savings Account (HSA). With an HSA, you contribute to an account with tax-free money and then use this money that you put into the HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses such as deductible and coinsurance amounts. You can also use the money to save for future healthcare expenses. There is no “use it or lose it” rule and the money is yours if you leave BSI. There are specific tax regulations around HSA plans which the IRS monitors.
EyeMed is your vision wellness program. This plan allows you to improve your health through a routine eye exam, while saving you money on your eye care purchases. The plan is available through thousands of provider locations participating on the EyeMed SELECT network. This benefit includes routine eye exams, frames, lenses, etc. Medical emergencies and other eye related procedures may be covered under the medical plan.
100% BSI Paid Benefits
BSI paysatone times yourannualsalaryup toamaximumof$500,000 for bothlifeinsurance and accidental death& dismemberment insurance. Ifyouwishto purchase additional life insuranceforyou,yourspouse,andany child(ren)youcandoso undertheVoluntaryLife Insurance benefit.
Shouldyoubecome ill or injuredandunableto performthedutiesofyourjob,Prudential’sshort termdisability insurance(STD)covers60%ofyourweekly earningsuptoamaximum weekly benefitof$3,000. The plan’smaximumbenefitperiod is 26 weeks. Benefits begin on the eighth day of illness or injury.
The BSI 401(k) Plan offered through TransAmerica Retirement Solutions (formerly Diversified Investment Advisors) is designed to encourage you to save for retirement and build for the future. BSI will make a matching contribution each payroll period equal to 100% of employee’s salary deferral contributions up to a maximum of 5% salary. You are fully vested in the plan after 3 years of service. This traditional 401k plan allows participants to make pretax contributions through payroll deductions
BSI also offers a Roth 401k option. Roth deferrals are similar to the pre-tax salary deferral contributions that are contributed on behalf of a participant to the Plan; however, Roth deferrals are "after-tax". If you elect to make Roth deferrals, the deferrals will be made with money that you have already paid federal income taxes on (and, in some cases, state and local income taxes). Roth deferrals and, in most cases, earnings on them, will not be subject to federal income taxes when distributed to you.
Dental & Vision Insurance:
ThePPO dentalplanincludesbothinand outofnetworkbenefitswith twocleanings coveredat 100%every planyear if each procedure is done in six-month intervals. The plan also includesapreventiveadvantageprogram, which means no preventiveservicesare counted towardsyour annual benefitmaximum.
In February, BSI Management solicited how employees feel about working at BSI, and conducted a workplace survey through WorkplaceDynamics LLC, an independent research company. BSI asked employees to tell us what was going well and what areas we needed to continue working on to improve the culture, environment and job satisfaction of our employees. While there are always areas of improvement, BSI scored above the median in all categories. Here are some of the comments that employees had to say about working at BSI:
What impresses you most about how BSI does things efficiently and well?
They truly care about their employees. They provide a very comfortable work environment and hire wonderful people
- Customer Services
What makes you feel appreciated at BSI?
I feel I can initiate new projects and my ideas are considered. My manager understands to get the most out of people requires encouragement and thoughtfulness of the others opinions.
How has this job exceeded the expectations you had when you started?
I have had tremendous opportunity to shape, develop, and grow business. I have also been able to try new ideas and been given the support and confidence to do so.
What does your manager do to demonstrate that they care about your concerns?
My manager asks at least once a week what she can do to help me work to the best of my abilities. Everything I request may no be given to me , but I know my manager tries.
- Customer Services
I love my job because:
The team, we are one. From Customer Care to senior management we are working together to make excellence a habit.
BSI America Photos
- Featured Review
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at BSI America full-timeRecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEORecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
- Despite being an established organization, the company still has an entrepreneurial spirit and is willing to trying new initiatives
- Employees are empowered to take on meaningful projects
- Everyone in the company is very friendly and cooperative
- Very good benefits on top of all this
- Compensation is good, but not the main driver for working here
- Can get overloaded with projects if you're not careful
Advice to Management
- Continue to prioritize objectives so people know which initiatives to focus on
- Keep a balanced approach to spending and compensation
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 4 weeks – interviewed at BSI America (Herndon, VA) in February 2015.
Highly professional, thorough, and 'top notch' communications. Corporate recruiter Mel Marquez responded to my on-line resume within 1-3 days. We scheduled a 'next day' phone interview which was thorough - both amicable and informative. This was followed by a fairly challenging 1+ hour timed on-line aptitude test. Upon completion, Ms. Marquez scheduled an in-person interview with CEO, CFO, and HR stakeholders. The interview started on-time. I was welcomed by all office staff including Mel. The interview lasted over an hour. I felt that the questions were on point and relevant to position requirements. Equally important, I was able to represent my skills, values, and past successe in full. Mel kept me updated over the next three weeks as candate pool windled to only a couple candidates including an internal candidate. Mel then followed up (this is quite rare and very welcome), with the decision to hire internal candidate. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend bsi to all highly talented candidates. I enjoyed the process. Mel and other executives were highly professional and terrific ambassadors for bsi..
- Relevant to the position discussed. 1 Answer
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
BSI is the business standards company that helps organizations all over the world make excellence a habit. For more than a century we have been challenging mediocrity and complacency to help embed excellence into the way people and products work. That means showing businesses how to improve performance, reduce risk and achieve sustainable growth. As a global leader in helping...
Mission: To be the World’s Most Trusted Training Provider for embedding excellence and expertise in individuals to ensure organizations perform better, reduce risk and grow...