Bigelow Aerospace Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (less than a year)Pros
1. You get to work on some VERY cool projects which very few people in the world have the privilege to do.
2. The majority of the people you work with are great, very excited and enthusiastic about achieving our goals of launching the world's first expandable space habitats.
3. There is a definite shift in management culture and attitudes over the past few months which if that continues will go a long way in retaining the necessary talent.
4. The next 18-24 months will be very interesting as we transition from being a small R&D facility to a full fledged aerospace production facility. MASSIVE opportunities for career growth.
5. Salary is above average compared to other local businesses and seems to be inline with the industry.Cons
1. The benefits are really sub par for the industry. Health care is so bad some employees opted out and are using Obama Care. Vacation (PTO) time and 401K are average for many companies but but sub par for Aerospace. No tuition reimbursement.
2. Weak to non existent HR. Policies seem to change at a whim, or are ignored and unwritten rules seem to be applied at the discretion of management's mood that day.
3. The remaining old guard management need to learn how to treat people... you treated people like dirt for years and there is some recommence of that left which is why anyone who has been there more than a year is really skeptical about the cultural changes.
4. There are some small quirky things which are a huge hindrance to getting your job done. Examples: The IT Manager is a tyrant who is stuck in the 90's with a huge Napoleonic complex who treats people like they are idiots and makes it very difficult to get your job done. Tools or Equipment Purchases.... again these policies change on a whim, there is definite favoritism and your purchase requests truly depend on managements mood... It's weird that certain useless things no expense is spared but actual tools to make your job more productive or easier its like pulling teeth.Advice to ManagementAdvice
We as a company are on the cusp of GREATNESS!!!! This company has potential to be the best place I have ever worked... or one of the worse. Keep evolving and in the next 24 months I assure you we will achieve all of our goals. 1. Continue down the cultural path you are going. Treat people with respect and great things will happen. People need to know its OK to make a mistake. If you rule by fear it will completely curtail any sort of creative thinking. Outside the box problem solving or going above and beyond.
2. STOP MICROMANAGING: Trust your people to do the job they were hired, Empower them to make decisions and give them the necessary tools and or training to be successful.
3. Have open and honest reviews. Work with people to find out what's working and what's not and try to improve those areas of opportunity.
4. Improve the benefits. If you want to attract and retain the best people pay and gimmicky benefits like cookies and car raffles isn't going to cut it.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took 3+ months – interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace.Interview Details
Phone Interview- inperson interviewInterview Questions
No OfferPositive Experience
- personality test - very technical on your resume View Answer
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –