Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
We are inspired by the mission, All Lives Have Equal Value, and compelled by the opportunity to make an impact -- before, during, and after our time at the foundation. Experienced, and highly engaged, we set aspirational goals, and hold ourselves, and each other, to high standards.
We are guided by four values: Optimism, Collaboration, Rigor and Innovation. We live these values and consider how we work as important as what we do. Along with our partners, we take on complex challenges; we continually test new approaches and embrace change where it will facilitate the best outcomes. We strive for continuous improvement, not perfection. Employees describe our environment as intense, fast-paced and stimulating, to match the ambition of our strategies.
The co-chairs are highly involved with the work. We collaborate with myriad partners, and have access to world-renowned experts and leaders. Our current and former employees form a diverse, extended and supportive network. We strive for an inclusive environment where, no matter our background, we can each do our best work.
Our role in the global community exposes us to complex problems and provides us with unique learning experiences. We have a growth mindset, and regularly find opportunities for feedback, learning and development.
Our managers support our professional growth within our current roles and help us to do our best work.The foundation provides resources that help us to manage our own careers.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program that reflects the foundation’s values and culture.
For employees based in the United States, health, vacation, and retirement benefits include:
- Medical/vision and dental for employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependent children (100% of monthly premiums paid by the foundation)
- Life, disability, and travel assistance (100% of monthly premiums paid by the foundation)
- Employee savings retirement plan and foundation sharing retirement plan (15% of eligible compensation contributed by the foundation)
- Healthcare and dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Minimum three weeks' vacation in addition to 10 observed holidays, 3 personal days, and 12 sick days
- Voluntary benefits plans, including supplemental life insurance, group accident insurance, pre-paid legal, long-term care, pet insurance, and discount auto/home insurance
Opportunities to continue education, achieve personal and professional goals, and support the community include:
- $1,500 annual life cycle lump sum payment for employees' discretionary use
- Business Travel-emergency assistance plan
- Back-up care for children and adults/elders
- Employee assistance plan
- Employee matching gift program with a 3:1 match up to $30,000 per year
Employees based in Africa, China, Europe, and India also receive competitive salaries and benefits, reflective of local pay practices.
Guided by Bill and Melinda’s belief that all lives have equal value and every person deserves the opportunity to lead a healthy and productive life, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has a deep commitment to supporting global diversity & inclusion. This commitment is reflected in the foundation’s core values of Optimism, Collaboration, Rigor and Innovation.
Our vision of diversity is broad and global. It encompasses both visible and invisible differences that are sources of personal identity, as well as beliefs and ways of thinking and acting that make each of us unique. Inclusion ensures that diverse individuals are heard, respected and valued.
Our Global Diversity & Inclusion Commitment is aspirational and assumes a mindset of continuous improvement. It is rooted in the knowledge that we are members of a global community, where cultural differences and practices influence our impact.
Our commitment has an internal focus on our employees, work practices and environment, as well as an external orientation towards our grantees, partners, stakeholders and ultimate beneficiaries.
- Partnerships. We achieve maximum impact through collaborative, inclusive partnerships – both internal and external.
- Work Environment. We foster an inclusive environment that enables employees to do their best work. We seek to listen to each other and to understand diverse perspectives in ways that are respectful and feel safe.
- Talent. We recruit and retain a diverse, global workforce. We develop and value culturally competent managers and employees who are able to understand, communicate with, and effectively interact with people across cultural differences and in different contexts. We establish equitable development and reward systems for our employees.
All foundation employees, beginning at the most senior levels, are responsible for developing and supporting behaviors that enable the foundation to achieve measurable success in our three areas of commitment.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)Pros
great learning and networking opportunitiesCons
limited growth trajectory from an administrative perspectiveAdvice to ManagementAdvice
continue to expand upon your career growth philosophiesRecommendsPositive Outlook
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online – interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.Interview Details
It was a one and one interview with the HR manager. She was very nice. The question was pretty behavioral questions. Why do you want to join? What is your career plan? She also asked about the community involvement and volunteer work.No OfferAverage Interview
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Sue Desmond-Hellmann and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the...