Transformation is the Opportunity
We're looking for professionals who will help us shape the future of health care, making it more accessible, affordable and easy to use.
We are a leader in the industry and plan to stay that way by hiring smart thinkers and courageous doers who can get passionate about transforming our nation's healthcare system making health care better for everyone.
If you are drawn to big challenges and get excited by the opportunity to work on large-scale change let us know you are up for the challenge! We always need another great team member.
To ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at an affordable price.
Trusted and trusting:
- We build trusting relationships.
- We are honest and ethical; do the right thing.
- We are open and candid.
- We let people do their jobs.
- We keep our promises.
- We respect and care about each other.
- We drive learning and development for ourselves and others.
- We practice Wellvolution making an investment in us.
- We acknowledge and recognize people’s contribution.
- We focus on the outcome, not just the activities or milestones along the way.
- We take personal ownership and accountability for getting there.
- We act with integrity and know the ends never justify the means.
- We bust silos and keep an enterprise-wide view.
- We seek out and connect with the right partners internally and externally.
- Interdependence and strong partners are our strength.
Agile and nimble:
- We scout the environment and anticipate change.
- We remove barriers to agility.
- We use "smart trust" with data and people.
- We embrace risk taking.
- We challenge our own thinking.
- We experiment, learn and improve.
- We learn equally from success and failure.
- We retain what we need to remain financially viable, returning the balance to our customers and community.
- We are conscientious about how we impact our customers.
- We anticipate and respond to key needs of the customer.
When you join Blue Shield, you have access to some of the most comprehensive benefits and rewards in today's job market. And they're available from your first day of employment - another example of our commitment to making life easier and better. From our extensive benefits to our life-balancing programs, Blue Shield of California rewards you for your efforts.
Salary and Compensation
Blue Shield provides a benchmarked pay structure and provides compensation that leads the industry. Salary and rewards are based on a combination of company performance and individual contribution, designed to reward your initiative, innovation, dedication and results.
Pension and 401(k)
In addition to a traditional 401(k) plan, our retirement plan is outstanding among California companies, offering income and protection. As a Blue Shield employee, you are automatically enrolled in the plan at no cost to you. Upon three years of employment, you are fully vested in a plan that is carefully managed and fully secure.
Of course you expect high-quality health benefits from a health care leader, and you get them from day one. On your first day, you're eligible for the following:
- Blue Shield health care
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
Time off, Holidays and Discounts
In addition to an excellent overall compensation package, Blue Shield employees can look forward to:
- Tuition reimbursement
- 20 days of paid time off (PTO) per year
- Flexible healthcare and dependent care spending accounts
- Nine paid holidays per year
- On-site fitness facilities and fitness programs in select locations
- Discounts on entertainment and events
- Discounts on alternative care services such as chiropractic, acupuncture and massage therapy
- Matching gift contributions to select charities
Blue Shield understands that the quality of life is dependent on more than just your income. That's why we offer employees the following special programs, designed to support your overall well-being:
- Health-Living Benefits - Healthy Lifestyle Rewards is an online program personalized to help you adopt an maintain a healthier lifestyle
- Income-Protection Benefits - The ability to purchase supplemental coverage for you and your dependents
- NurseHelp 24/7 - Contact an experienced registered nurse for immediate and reliable answers to your health questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- LifeReferrals 24/7 - Referrals to master's-level counselors and a team of experienced professionals ready to assist you with personal, family, financial, legal, and work-related issues
- Commuter Program - An employer-sponsored plan that allows you to make pre-tax contributions into a special account used to purchase your public transportation fare or to reimburse yourself for eligible out-of-pocket expenses for vanpooling or parking
- Employee Recognition
- Thank you cards to recognize fellow employees
- Various performance awards
Blue Shield constantly strives to be a workplace that respects and nurtures the strengths of all employees from all cultures. Blue Shield believes that a rich mix of backgrounds and experiences enable us to reach out, with understanding and sensitivity, to an increasingly diverse society. Our commitment to diversity is reflected in our:
- Active recruitment of a culturally diverse employee base, and
- Outreach to diverse markets for employees and customers.
Diversity strengthens our business and gives us a competitive advantage. We welcome resumes from diverse ethnicities, women, LGBT and veterans, as well as mature and disabled job seekers who have an interest in health care-related careers.
Blue Shield of California has opportunities available for candidates of all experience levels from established executives to new college graduates. Along with openings for entry-level full time employment, we have several programs which are specifically geared toward entry-level talent.
Management Trainee Program
Here is your chance to get involved in working on the nation's top domestic priority; healthcare. In 2002, Blue Shield of California became the first health insurer in the country to propose a specific plan to extend health coverage to all Californians. This work has since been echoed in the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Visionary leadership is one of the things that makes Blue Shield of California a special place to work. In order to help develop the next generation of managers and executives in healthcare, we offer a dynamic management trainee program for recent graduates and interns.
The Operations Management Trainee Program at Blue Shield of California exposes you to the dynamics of the health care coverage industry and can be a valuable tool that helps develop your career path in management.
The 12-month rotation and development program prepares you for leadership positions by combining formal training, leadership development, and challenging job assignments. You rotate in Blue Shield’s Operations functions of Customer Services, Claims and Installation & Membership.
The comprehensive training program requires strong motivation and discipline from you, but you’ll be rewarded with opportunity and real-world preparation. And, after completing the program, you may apply for a supervisory position that leads the daily operational functions of a work unit.
If you are motivated, eager to learn, and have a commitment to success, Blue Shield of California is a great company for a career in management.
Rotational Groups the Management Trainee Program Covers
- Installation & Membership – ensures the smooth setup of plan benefits, employee enrollment and ongoing account maintenance.
- Claims – provides accurate and rapid processing and payment of claims.
- Customer Services – provides quality and timely assistance and information to members, providers, brokers and group administrators.
As part of rotating through these groups, trainees benefit from:
- Cross-functional job rotations
- Extensive hands-on training
- Mentoring by experienced leaders
- Leadership development activities
- Exposure to senior leaders
- Participation in team projects
- Individual Development Plans
- Regular performance feedback
Requirements for Consideration in the Management Trainee Program:
- B.S./B.A. degree – All Majors. Minimum GPA 3.0
- Demonstrated supervisor and/or leadership experience
- Eager to learn and a commitment to succeed
- Excellent communications and organizational skills
- Perform effectively as part of a team
- Be adaptable to a changing work environment
- Knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and MS Word
Positions are located in El Dorado Hills and Lodi, California. Up to 30 percent travel between sites is required
Blue Shield of California Summer Internship Program
These positions are geared for undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in working on projects for one part of the business for several months during the summer.
This internship program is an excellent opportunity to gain invaluable exposure to the thinking and outlook of Blue Shield leadership. Our interns thrive in a supportive, stimulating environment, as they explore their own talents and perspectives.
Interns are placed in time-sensitive projects with well-defined objectives and goals, giving them the opportunity to learn, grow, and develop. Each project is pertinent to the business unit that the intern will be working with. Additionally, each business unit will usually assign someone to oversee the project and mentor the intern during their time at Blue Shield.
In the past, we have had graduate and undergraduate internships across multiple, diverse departments and business units, such as:
- Corporate Finance
- Network Management
- Healthcare Services
- Product Development
- Corporate Marketing
- Business Operations
Internships take place during the summer, usually spanning from June until August. Interns are located in El Dorado Hills, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Woodland Hills, California.
What requirements does an intern have to participate in our program?
- Fill a strategic niche within Blue Shield
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in the health care industry
- Show potential for long-term employment
- Meet specific grade requirements:
- Master’s level interns must have a minimum of three years previous work in a relevant field and be in good standing with their school
- Undergraduates must have no less than a 3.0 GPA
Blue Shield Of California Photos
1 person found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than a year)Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, casual work hours (not much overtime demanded, if any), cafeteria, nice surrounding locationCons
Small open cubes, constant management changes, unclear vision and planRecommendsPositive OutlookNo opinion of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks – interviewed at Blue Shield Of California.Interview Details
Phone screening interview with the recruiter and then an interview with the direct hiring manager followed by interviews with three other directors who would be stakeholder for the person in this role. It was a pretty standard process. Most of the people interviewing with the exception of one person had been in their roles 3 - 6 months.No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
California Physicians' Service, which operates as Blue Shield of California, provides health insurance products and related services to some 3.3 million members in the state of California. The not-for-profit mutual organization's health insurance products include HMO, PPO, dental, and Medicaid or Medicare supplemental plans for individuals, families, and employer groups. Accidental death and dismemberment, executive medical reimbursement, life insurance, vision, and short-term health plans are provided by the company's Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance...