I worked at Carlson Capital full-timePros
- Nice benefits (food and health benefits provided)
- better culture than many comparable firms (not always warm, but much more collegial than many places in the industry)
- good work resources (any research and tools you could care to name)
- I admire the founder
- Better work-life balance than many places in the industryCons
- Short-term focused, it's part of the business model (which the firm as a whole does well) but this either works well for you or it doesn't. There are plenty of worse places for this, though.
- Focus on batting average as opposed to slugging can be frustrating - but again, that's the model
- Experience very much dictated by your PM - if you don't get along or don't see eye-to-eye you won't last long
- Compensation highly variable but there are certainly places that pay better
- Mid-level decision makers seem to struggle with dual role
- Limited interest in improving your skillsAdvice to ManagementAdvice
I think you have a very sensible model, it is just not for everyone.
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –