Chartboost was founded by game developers and data geeks
We build technology for game developers. We help you make money, and build a business with your games. We love data and anything that helps you drive intelligent decisions. We are product driven. No side-deals, no bs, just clear and transparent terms for everyone. We care about design, your users and their overall experience.
Developers are the heroes of the gaming world.
Without your creativity we wouldn't have Mario, we'd be deprived of Master Chief and Zelda would be nothing more than a twinkle in someone's eye. We want to help you succeed and build a business around your great ideas. We love working with you, we love telling your stories, and we love making a difference in your business.
Small Company, Big Impact
We're a rapidly growing startup building a technology platform that helps mobile game developers acquire more users, monetize more effectively, and make data-driven decisions. Each month, we reach 300 million people and power billions of game sessions in 150 countries around the world. We're looking for game changers who want to help others, tackle big problems, and have fun while doing it.
Love starts with the user and it expands through the organization. We want every person who interacts with Chartboost to be amazed and feel the love. We are not happy with “like” - we want LOVE. We won't stop until we've earned it.
Direct & Transparent
We tell it like it is and believe in open transparent communication. This is reflected both in our products and the way we do business.
We deeply care about what we are doing and the impact it has on other people's lives. We are passionate about what we do, the people we work with and the values that define us.
Action, Learning & Growth
We want to be bold, do new things, learn, and repeat - and we want to empower developers to do the same. The best outcomes happen when we're not afraid to fail.
In addition to competetive pay and equity in one of the most successful startups around, we offer:
- 20 days of PTO, and 10 paid holidays (including your birthday!
- $130/mo in commuter benefits to offset costs for parking or public transit. An additional $250/mo can be expensed for Taxi/Uber/Lyft/SideCar or Parking to help get you to/from the office.
- Fully paid medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Catered breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Tuesdays and Fridays and dinner every evening (you're certainly not expected to eat dinner at the office, but if you're still working at 6:00, you shouldn't do it hungry).
- Awesome company outtings including a ski trip in Steamboat, Colorado, a 2-day trip to Monterey, boating in the bay, Nerd Olympics, and plenty of happy hours and holiday events!
Our technology stack includes Hadoop, Hive, HDFS, HBase Spark, Scala, Python, Java, Jenkins, Scalding, multiple NoSQL storage systems, AWS, Github, Jenkins, Zipkin and Puppet. Our developers own writing both unit and integration tests to ensure high quality in our products. You have the opportunity to evaluate new technologies and use them to design better and more reliable systems.
We work at massive scale, handling 10s of thousands of events per second and work with hundreds of TBs of data. Our products reach over 300 million people around the globe every month so we have tons of great opportunities and challenges to sink your teeth into as an Engineer, whether your focus is Front End, Back End, Data Science/Machine Learning, Analytics or anything in between.
4 people found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at Chartboost full-time (less than a year)Pros
- Low hiring bar (for those who want a job)
- Chill work culture
- Low expectations
- Financially stable (has revenue)Cons
All the comments in thie review are personal views. Reader should decide for him/herself.
- Salary below market rate
- Extremely cheap on stock options (don't expect to make money from stocks)
- Higher execs don't know what they want
- Product Managers are untechical
- Frequent reorgs (happened just about every quarter in 2014)
- More face time than actual delivery
- Approved projects getting no support
- Communication between teams not effective
- Managers and higher execs exhibit favoritism
- Tremendous amounts of politics required for projects to be approved
- Upper execs blame employees
- Little reward for hard work
- Low hiring bar (for those who want better engineering experience)
- People practice more politics than actual work and team members backstab each other
- Identity crisis
- Lack of focusAdvice to ManagementAdvice
Lots of work ahead but still possible to have a good exit. May need to treat employees better in order of keep talent. Recommended to promote fair work culture and fight favoritism.Doesn't RecommendNegative OutlookDisapproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
2 people found this helpfulApplication Details
I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Chartboost.Interview Details
Coding Challenge (4 Questions in 60 mins) and final round interview with member of specific team. The final round interview consisted of a person from the team asking me a lot of specific knowledge based questions off a list that required you to have a deep knowledge of the topic. Also before moving on to the next topic, he would ask to rate yourself on a scale from 1 to 10 about how well you knew a particular topic without providing context of what a 10 on the scale represents. The interviewer actually didn't even know if I was interning for an internship or full time before I told him in the beginning of the interview.Interview Questions
No OfferNegative ExperienceDifficult Interview
- Detecting memory leaks in Java? Interprocess communication in Android? A lot of specific knowledge based questions that do not really provide good representation of someone's technical ability View Answers (4)
Chartboost is the world's largest games-only technology platform. We work with thousands of developers around the world and our network has grown to more than 100,000 mobile games. We reach over 300 million global users and drive over 12 billion impressions per month. Chartboost was founded by early employees from the company behind Tap Tap Revenge (acquired by Disney) and...
Mission: To build an industry that empowers developer success in freemium economies.