THE SCIENCE OF STARTUPS
Cogo Labs: The Science of Startups
Originally founded in 2005, Cogo Labs is the technology-driven venture accelerator behind some of the Boston area’s fastest-growing web companies.
We combine entrepreneurial business leadership with a unique platform of proprietary technologies for algorithmic marketing, data mining, and quantitative business analytics. Our fast-paced and innovative approach enables us to guide start-ups from inception to profitability and beyond.
Cogo Labs is part of the Link Ventures family of companies.
- Our employees are passionate and driven — not just about their work, but about their hobbies and projects outside of work.
- We build things fast and use the best tools for the job.
- Every employee at Cogo Labs has a direct impact on the bottom-line of the company. No silos or widget-making here.
- We believe in data. We love debating different theories, but when we're faced with a choice, it's the data that will guide our decision-making.
- Being part of an incubator, and having a number of different projects in the works, means that every day brings new and interesting challenges to solve.
- No egos or attitudes here — just talented people who are good at what they do, open to new ideas, eager to learn from each other, and excited about data-driven entrepreneurship.
- Competitive salaries and company equity that actually means something.
- Comprehensive benefits plan, including health, dental, and vision.
- Discounted gym & Hubway memberships.
- Monthly T-pass paid for by the company.
- Three weeks vacation per year, plus 10 paid holidays, plus sick days. AND you get an additional day off every year for your first 5 years.
- You pick the type of laptop you want to use here. (For most people this means a Macbook Pro or Air, but hey, feel free to surprise us.)
- Fully-stocked kitchen with everything from fresh, organic fruit to non-fresh, non-organic Fruit Gushers.
- Coffee, espresso, and seltzer machines on-site, plus a veritable conveyor belt of growlers from CBC, right next door.
- A big company-wide catered lunch every Friday (favorites include Thai, BBQ, Anna's, hot dogs & burgers).
- An ever-expanding games library (current favorites: Ticket to Ride, Blockus, Munckin, Pandemic).
- Frequent company outings (karaoke, harbor cruises, brewery tours, sporting events, and other fun stuff).
Cogo Labs Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (less than a year)Pros
Tons of smart people to work with and a friendly atmosphere make it a great place to jump start your career
Lots of resources and little corporate red tape, makes running tests easy
Hard work is rewarded
Great work-life balance
Free lunches on Fridays - actually great meals and not just a cold sandwich or half-hearted perkCons
There is still office politics, but you can't seem to ever avoid those
Its a money driven company and industry, if you want to "save the world" you're better off somewhere elsewhereRecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks – interviewed at Cogo Labs in February 2015.Interview Details
Was put in contact with the recruiter by a current employee. I gave her my resume and set up an interview with a senior analyst in which I talked about my resume, what he did at Cogo, and solved a brain teaser. A little over a week later I was contacted again by the recruiter to set up an interview at the office in Cambridge. Consisted of discussing my resume and solving more brain teasers with several more analysts. Received my offer by phone a week later.Interview Questions
Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
- Several brain teasers, the goal of which is to evaluate your problem solving approach. Familiarity with basic statistics and calculus should be fine. Answer Question
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Cogo Labs is a technology-driven venture accelerator in Kendall Square. We generate ideas for web-facing startups, and then turn those ideas into successful companies.