THE SCIENCE OF STARTUPS
Cogo Labs: The Science of Startups
Originally founded in 2005, Cogo Labs is the technology-driven venture accelerator behind some of the Boston area’s fastest-growing web companies.
We combine entrepreneurial business leadership with a unique platform of proprietary technologies for algorithmic marketing, data mining, and quantitative business analytics. Our fast-paced and innovative approach enables us to guide start-ups from inception to profitability and beyond.
Cogo Labs is part of the Link Ventures family of companies.
- Our employees are passionate and driven — not just about their work, but about their hobbies and projects outside of work.
- We build things fast and use the best tools for the job.
- Every employee at Cogo Labs has a direct impact on the bottom-line of the company. No silos or widget-making here.
- We believe in data. We love debating different theories, but when we're faced with a choice, it's the data that will guide our decision-making.
- Being part of an incubator, and having a number of different projects in the works, means that every day brings new and interesting challenges to solve.
- No egos or attitudes here — just talented people who are good at what they do, open to new ideas, eager to learn from each other, and excited about data-driven entrepreneurship.
- Competitive salaries and company equity that actually means something.
- Comprehensive benefits plan, including health, dental, and vision.
- Discounted gym & Hubway memberships.
- Monthly T-pass paid for by the company.
- Three weeks vacation per year, plus 10 paid holidays, plus sick days. AND you get an additional day off every year for your first 5 years.
- You pick the type of laptop you want to use here. (For most people this means a Macbook Pro or Air, but hey, feel free to surprise us.)
- Fully-stocked kitchen with everything from fresh, organic fruit to non-fresh, non-organic Fruit Gushers.
- Coffee, espresso, and seltzer machines on-site, plus a veritable conveyor belt of growlers from CBC, right next door.
- A big company-wide catered lunch every Friday (favorites include Thai, BBQ, Anna's, hot dogs & burgers).
- An ever-expanding games library (current favorites: Ticket to Ride, Blockus, Munckin, Pandemic).
- Frequent company outings (karaoke, harbor cruises, brewery tours, sporting events, and other fun stuff).
Cogo Labs Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at Cogo Labs as an intern (less than an year)Pros
- Tons of autonomy
- Awesome people
- Totally unique experience - you get make a website from scratch, play with a marketing budget, and grow users over this time with a 5 person intern team.Cons
- The overarching business model is very effective, but not necessarily fulfilling from a "i'm truly improving the world" point of view
- Did not pay as competitively as previous experiencesRecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Cogo Labs.Interview Details
First round was a call with one of the senior analysts. Consisted of talking about my interests and explaining what the incubator does. It really is an interesting business model and it's worth learning more about it through the interview process. At the end we did a fairly simple brainteaser question. Just a basic algorithm question.
Next round (4 days later) was on-site with two analysts each from a different team. Seemed a bit redundant, but we talked about myself, some machine learning stuff, and did a more involved brainteaser. It was pretty easy (assuming you're solid on calc and probability theory) so we did a harder generalized variant of the original question.
Got an offer 2 days later.
Really good impression of the place... everyone I talked to was clearly very smart and loved working there.Interview Questions
Negotiation DetailsNot a lot of leeway for negotiation, but the place looks really cool so I caved.Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
- Brainteaser... wouldn't be right to disclose it. Answer Question
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Cogo Labs is a technology-driven venture accelerator in Kendall Square. We generate ideas for web-facing startups, and then turn those ideas into successful companies.