Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America’s leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, 57 radio stations, eight daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 30 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million print and online newspaper readers, and more than 14 million radio listeners.
2013 Key Metrics
Revenue: $1.7 billion
- Daily Newspapers: 8
- Non-Daily Newspapers: 16
- TV Stations: 14
- Local Cable Channels: 1
- Television Markets: 10
- TV Viewer Reach: more than 30 Million
- AM Radio Stations: 10
- FM Radio Stations: 47
- Radio Markets: 11
- Combined Weekly Radio Listeners: more than 14 Million
Users interacted with CMG’s digital products across all platforms – newspaper, radio, TV, Valpak and Savings.com – nearly 900 million times in 2013.
Employees: More than 7,500
Goals & Mission
At CMG, we want to be the most essential local media source in our markets. We deliver great products that connect with the needs of our customers, and we are evolving our super brands into the digital future. Collectively, we compete with our products and win with our people.
Cox Enterprises has embraced and continues to embrace the ultimate good as we go about our daily work of building our business, serving our communities and interacting with each other. Indeed, we believe that the manner in which we accomplish our work is as important as the work itself.
1. WE RESPECT OTHERS.
Honest, fair and loyal business relationships are built upon mutual respect. We strive to treat our employees with consideration and thoughtfulness and expect them to treat each other the same way. This extends to our relationships with those outside the company, including advertisers, subscribers, customers, vendors, shareholders and all others with whom we conduct our business.
2. WE OBEY THE LAW.
All employees are expected to uphold the letter and spirit of the law, as well as the rules and regulations that govern our businesses. If you have any questions about how to make sure that you are complying with the law, please contact the legal department. Areas that you may need to be especially aware of include:
- Fair Treatment. Fair treatment of others is essential to the way we conduct business. Cox Enterprises respects its employees and expects them to respect one another. Any illegal employment discrimination or harassment is prohibited. If you believe you have been subjected to illegal harassment or discrimination, contact your supervisor, department head or a representative of the human resources department, as appropriate in accordance with the company's Anti-Harassment, EEO and Problem Resolution policies.
- Antitrust. Antitrust laws help to ensure fair and normal business competition by prohibiting such activities as price fixing, price discrimination and certain product purchase requirements. Cox Enterprises employees should not enter into any agreements or arrangements with other parties (competitors, vendors, customers, etc.) that could illegally limit or restrict competition.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Regulations. Our radio, television and telecommunication subsidiaries are regulated by the FCC. It is essential that your actions comply with FCC rules.
3. WE PLAY FAIR.
Cox Enterprises strives to conduct business in a fair and reasonable way. We expect our organization to not only play by the rules, but also to avoid any appearance of unfair partiality or improper behavior. We avoid conflicts of interest. These can occur when you or a family member could benefit personally from your position with the Company. For example, if you accept a gift or money from a competitor, customer or vendor that could influence your actions at work, then a conflict of interest would exist. Other instances to avoid include situations in which a family member or close friend is bidding to be a service provider or vendor for the Company. In such cases, you should not be directly involved in the selection process. In some instances, offering or accepting money or gifts to influence business arrangements is bribery, which is improper and illegal.
4. WE ARE LOYAL.
As an employee of Cox Enterprises, your work activities should always be for the benefit of the Company and its interests. Business opportunities should not be used for personal gain. Company property and information must not be misused. You should not compete with the Company nor steal or misuse any of its assets. It is important to remember that Company property includes confidential information, which should not be disclosed without authorization during your employment or even after it ends.
5. WE TELL THE TRUTH.
Integrity is grounded in the truth. Cox Enterprises employees always should be truthful in every situation. Cox Enterprises does not retaliate against employees who truthfully report misconduct or problems in the workplace. Truthfulness extends to all accounting and financial reporting activities. We do not falsify documents, records or accounting books, nor do we ever interfere with, manipulate, or mislead any auditor reviewing financial material.
DOING THE RIGHT THING
Many of the laws relating to business practices and activities are complicated and can be confusing. Moreover, we know that many issues and situations may not be covered by the principles discussed in these guidelines. If you have any questions about the proper way to conduct yourself at work, please do not hesitate to contact your supervisor or a representative of the human resources or legal department for further guidance and help. These contacts also can provide you with information on other specific policies and procedures.
Our business conduct and ethics guidelines are critical to supporting and encouraging everyone to do the best job possible for all of us.
Branding Message and Value Proposition
With our integrated portfolio of top-rated media properties, combined with our creative and customized marketing solutions, Cox Media Group can help you effectively direct the sale of goods and services to your exact target audience.
Cox Media Group is a fully integrated media solutions company that partners with you to create, define, devise and deliver the best solutions. Our strategists – both local and national – are the architects of customized, creative and effective marketing solutions that meet your specific goals. Leveraging our extensive market knowledge along with the best research division in the industry, we will tailor the right blend of digital, television, radio, print, direct mail and other local services to help you maximize your sales and build your brand.
Interested in advertising with CMG?
Below is a list of all Cox Media Group markets.
You can also find out more information about Cox Media Group's other business units: Cox Digital Solutions, Cox Reps, Kudzu, Savings.com, and Valpak.
- Athens, GA
- Atlanta, GA
- Austin, TX
- Charlotte, NC
- Houston, TX
- Jacksonville, FL
- Long Island, NY
- Miami, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Palm Beach, FL
- Pittsburgh, PA
- San Antonio, TX
- Seattle, WA
- Tampa, FL
- Tulsa, OK
- Cox Reps
We believe employees are our most important resource, and that's why we hire the best and brightest. It is with this belief that we strive to create an environment that is entrepreneurial, nurtures personal development and builds on unique talents. At Cox, you don't just have a job, but the opportunity to grow and advance across many dynamic industries.
Our Culture, Our People
At Cox Media Group, we compete with our products and win with our people.
- CMG professionals excel at delivering great products that connect with the needs of our customers.
- We believe that everyone has a role to play in our company’s success story.
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion ensures that CMG cultivates talent, innovation, creativity and experiences that make us the most essential local media source in every market we serve.
- Be Yourself. Make Us Better. At CMG, we know that innovation thrives in a diverse and inclusive workplace where employees can be "their best selves." Our work culture is one that is entrepreneurial, nurtures personal development and builds on everyone's unique talents.
- Growth, experience and training. When you join CMG, we'll ensure any move and onboarding is easy. We will work with you to help you reach your full potential through ongoing career development programs. We are committed to ongoing training throughout your career and to hiring from within.
- You can be extremely successful and receive unheard-of benefits. Cox awards enterprising and motivated employees in both compensation and a generous benefits package that includes robust health benefits, paid time off, and 401K. Eligible employees also qualify for a pension.
- The media business is fast-paced and exciting! Working in radio, TV, newspapers and digital media is fun, exciting and fast-paced. You have the opportunity to be creative as well as participate in market events. You will often have access to the hottest tickets in town and your friends and family will think you are in "show business!"
- Be a part of a winning team. We're leaders. Our television and radio stations and local newspapers are often the No. 1 and No. 2 rated media in their markets. With our integrated portfolio of top-rated media properties, we combine our content expertise with customized marketing solutions, helping our clients reach their exact target audience and goals, which further drives our success.
- Our culture. Employees are our most important resource. Our customers are our lifeblood. We embrace new technology and invest in new business opportunities.
- Our commitment to the communities we serve. We believe it is good business to be good citizens of the communities we serve through volunteerism and financial support. You will have the opportunity to get involved locally with your co-workers to make a difference in your CMG community, whether it's lending a hand in food or toy drives or other local charities.
- Our history. Cox Enterprises was founded in 1898 by former schoolteacher and reporter James M. Cox, whose ambition was to own a newspaper. His success with the newspaper led him into public service. He subsequently became Ohio's first three-term governor and the 1920 Democratic nominee for president of the United States. It was Gov. Cox's entrepreneurial spirit that began the long journey of building what has become one the largest media companies in the United States.
- Cox is a family-owned and privately-held company. This allows us to make the best decisions for the company vs. Wall Street. In addition to Cox Media Group, Cox Enterprises, Inc., has other subsidiaries: Cox Communications (cable & broadband communications), Manheim (vehicle remarketing services) and AutoTrader.com (world's largest online auto marketplace).
- You can build a career here. Many Cox employees have worked for the company for more than 20 years. That is unheard of today. At Cox, you don't just have a job, but the opportunity to grow and advance across many dynamic industries in locations throughout the country and the world.
Cox Media Group informs, inspires, entertains and improves the communities we serve, and we do it with speed, passion and courage. We compete with our products but win with our people.
- Our CMG professionals excel at producing top-rated news, information, coupons, entertainment and strategic business solutions for our customers.
- Everyone has a role to play as we take our great brands into the digital future.
- Our commitment to diversity & inclusion ensures that CMG cultivates talent, innovation, creativity and experiences that help us compete for years to come.
At Cox Media Group, we want employees to be themselves and make us better. We operate strong, profitable businesses, and our people thrive because individual points of view, experience and expression are valued. Together, our creative and strategic minds will discover new ways to shape and craft our customers' experience, create brand loyalty and build communities.
Our employees help us stay a step ahead in our industries. So, we want pay and benefits to keep them a step ahead as well, both at work and at home. We invest in the success of employees and their families by offering a variety of benefits programs that help meet their health, wealth, living and career needs.
To your health and wellness
- Flex benefits for medical, vision and dental plans
- Life insurance for you, your spouse, and your children
- Business travel life insurance
- Tax-free health and dependent care spending account
- Short & long term disability
Life, at work
- Employee assistance program
- Pension plan
- 401k plan with company matching
- Adoption assistance
- Paid time off and holidays
- CMG University offers hundreds of free online courses
- Tuition reimbursement (at some companies)
Offers and discounts – the perks!
- Employee discount programs from great retailers (Dell, GM, Ford, and Apple to name a few)
Location-specific benefits tailored to your neck of the woods
How do you know you're with an industry leader? You'll see that it encourages creativity, inclusion and calculated risk taking in its employees. That it dedicates itself to its customers' needs. That it seizes new business opportunities when the time is right. And, it does what's right for its community.
For some corporations, these concepts make good PR sound bites. But at Cox, they're the company values that guide us in every decision we make:
- Our employees are our most important resource. We encourage entrepreneurship and initiative. We recognize and reward achievement.
- We are committed to having a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We embrace and foster an environment that builds on the unique talents that come from a variety of people and perspectives.
- Our customers are our lifeblood. We're dedicated to building lasting relationships with them and meeting their needs with high-quality service beyond their expectations.
- We embrace new technology to give our customers the variety and quality of services they demand.
- We invest in new business opportunities with a mixture of caution and initiative, to enhance our growth.
- We believe it's good business to be good citizens of the communities we serve through volunteerism and financial support.
- We are committed to helping shape a better world through responsible company and individual actions.
Cox Media Group Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Cox Media Group part-time (more than 10 years)Doesn't RecommendNeutral OutlookDoesn't RecommendNeutral Outlook
Fun work environment. Talented team.
Not much room for growth. You can never feel secure with your position.
Advice to Management
Listen to your employees and be transparent when talking to them.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult InterviewDeclined OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days – interviewed at Cox Media Group (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.
A direct placement agency called and the whole process was super quick. After a call with the hiring manager, I was invited to interview the team, which consisted of the head of engineering, product, a peer interview, and the final interview with the hiring manager, who's the VP of product at Gamut. The people were great, very interactive, and the space is super exciting. They are solving some big problems in ad inventory /resell optimization. Very data and experiment driven, which is a huge point of reference and validation. Their product team is fairly young and going through some growing pains at the moment. They really liked my thinking process and experience, and I had an offer the next day.
- If you have a critical defect and a feature, how do you determine which one to prioritize? Let's say, there is measurable detriment from the bug each day it's not fixed and value from implementing the feature. Bug takes x days to fix, while feature takes x+n 1 Answer
- Can you walk me through your understanding of the ad ecosystem and the role Gamut plays in it? 1 Answer
- How does Gamut make revenue? 1 Answer
Reasons for Declining
Competing offer from a company closer to my experience and current interests, but the offer was very attractive and I would consider them again in a heartbeat!
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America’s leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.
The company’s operations currently...
Mission: We compete with our products, and win with our people.