Seeking All Visionaries.
Fish & Richardson is a leading global law firm practicing in the areas of intellectual property and litigation. Founded in 1878, the firm prosecuted and litigated many fundamental patents of the industrial age: the telephone, the airplane, the lightbulb, and the radio. Today, with over 350 attorneys and technology specialists, Fish remains the go-to IP firm for the world’s greatest innovators in cutting-edge technologies. Fish delivers superior value by providing strategic business insight enriched by deep technical and legal expertise to clients who value intellectual property.
- Attorneys: 354
- Principals: 191
- Associates: 143
- Of Counsel: 20
- Technology Specialists: 46
- PhDs: 81
- Former Federal Circuit Clerks: 25
- Other Former Clerks: 71
- US Patent Attorneys/Agents: 226
- US Trademarks Registered 2013: 370
- US Patents Issued 2013: 3,102
The philosophy of diversity has a strong foundation at Fish & Richardson. It is an integral part of our practice and communicated as a core value of the firm.
Our mission is to promote a creative, respectful, and inclusive culture that values the diversity of people, experiences, perspectives, talents, and capabilities, and allows ingenuity to thrive.
As a firm that serves the world's greatest visionaries, Fish knows that innovation often results from seeing the world in a different way. Fish recognizes that diverse backgrounds provide unique perspectives that result in new and better solutions. Having a diverse team that reflects the diversity of the public arena enhances the quality of legal services we provide to our clients and helps strengthen our standing as a premier IP law firm.
For Fish & Richardson, diversity is a long-term commitment, adding value to both the law firm and the legal profession as a whole. It is an integral part of who we are as a firm.
As proud as we are of the diverse team we have been able to build at the firm, we understand that the job of promoting diversity is never complete.
Fish's commitment to diversity has been evidenced through the creation of our Diversity Initiative which links together a variety of programs and offerings related to recruitment, professional development, retention, and outreach in the legal and business communities. This Initiative helps us attract, retain and advance diverse attorneys, foster a creative, respectful, and inclusive work environment, and to build new bridges to community and professional groups and to strengthen our existing connections.
Fish & Richardson is involved in a broad range of diversity efforts nationwide to further the diversity of our firm and the legal community, and we are gratified about the recent recognition we have received as one of the country's top firms for diversity.
- Fish was awarded the top rating of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) 2015 Corporate Equality Index which rates businesses for the treatment of LGBT employees in the workplace.
- The 2014 American Lawyer Diversity Scorecard, comprised of survey results of the AmLaw 200 and NLJ 250 law firms about the number of minorities in their offices, ranked Fish #33 out of 223 law firms, placing us in the top 15%.
- Fish was named to Vault, Inc.'s 2014 Best Law Firms for Diversity: Top 25 List for Disability Diversity.
- The Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) named Fish to its 2013 Do Good, Do Well List for excellence in both diversity and profitability.
- Fish was named to the Best Law Firms for Diversity: Diversity for Minorities Top 25 list in Vault, Inc.'s 2013 Law Firm Rankings.
- Fish was recognized in 2012 for our commitment and support of diversity by the National Society of Black Engineers.
- In 2012, Fish & Richardson was named one of the Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity by MultiCultural Law magazine. We have been named to this prestigious list annually since 2005.
The demand for clean technology and a robust green initiative is apparent across the globe. Fish has taken this to heart both in our offices and in our services. In addition to our Cleantech sector focus, through which our professionals advise clean energy–focused companies of all sizes and at all stages of growth, our attorneys and administrative staff have focused inward to improve the firm’s operations in an effort to preserve our planet. As a firm, we are conscious of using wind power, alternate inks, recycled paper, and other green marketing solutions. We are finding alternate commuting options such as kayaking, biking, and walking.
Our attorneys and technology specialists work with clients who are exploring alternative energy, clean technology, and other avenues to address the growing demand of a healthier earth.
Fish & Richardson Photos
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at Fish & Richardson full-time (More than 3 years)RecommendsNeutral OutlookApproves of CEORecommendsNeutral OutlookApproves of CEO
Great place to work. Good benefits, they used to be great. Challenging environment where new ideas are accepted, explored and adopted.
If you work in the administrative groups and you are not in Minneapolis, your career will be limited. All promotion opportunities are in Minneapolis.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks – interviewed at Fish & Richardson.
Expected a quick hiring process but it took almost a month to get my position approved. Once I was hired I noticed that they tend to hire temp employees and then transition them to perm.........I also noticed several temp employees leave because of this.
- They just like to get a gauge of what your work ethic is. Answer Question
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
When this fish gets hooked, patents are on the line. Fish & Richardson is a national law firm specializing in patent litigation, intellectual property, trademarks, and corporate law. The firm also has divisions devoted to new media and entertainment, government affairs, and venture and technology groups. It has more than 350 lawyers in 11 offices located throughout the US and in Munich, Germany. Fish & Richardson traces its roots all the way back to 1878; some of its most famous clients included the Wright Brothers, Thomas Edison, and Alexander Graham Bell. In more ...