Celebrating 100 years!
Standing Strong Since 1914.
Greater New York Mutual Insurance Company (GNY) has stood strong through 17 U.S. presidents, 7 major wars and 20 economic recessions. Throughout the years, our guiding principle has remained the same - Provide consistent financial stability and outstanding service for our customers.
Together with our three wholly owned subsidiaries - Insurance Company of Greater New York, Strathmore Insurance Company and GNY Custom Insurance Company - we provide customized insurance solutions for:
- Apartment buildings, condos and co-ops
- Bowling centers
- Commercial bakeries
- Light industrial businesses
- Movie theaters
- Office buildings
- Private clubs
- Shopping centers
We also offer others types of insurance protection to round-out our property and liability packages.
Why is GNY a great place to work?
- Dynamic and down to earth people
- Team-oriented environment
- Exciting office locations
- Excellent benefits
- Competitive salaries
- Opportunities for advancement
Stellar training progam
We recruit innovative thinkers, team players, and confident risk-takers to carry on our rich tradition of insurance excellence.
This program lasts approximately 2 years and offers a rare opportunity for individuals to receive intensive, hands-on training from expert professionals that can be directly transferred to the field.
We offer a competitive starting salary with increases every 3 months (for 2 years assuming you meet or exceed performance expectations).
You will be joining a team of one of the most trusted names in the property and casualty insurance industry.
Do you enjoy analyzing information and paying close attention to detail?
If so, then underwriting can be an excellent career choice. It is important for underwriters to demonstrate good judgment in order to make reliable and sound insurance decisions. Because much of the underwriter’s work involves dealing with agents and other insurance professionals, excellent communication and interpersonal skills are also essential.
Do you enjoy investigating and verifying facts? Do you love to negotiate?
If so, then a career as a Claims Examiner might be for you. Claims Examiners verify and analyze data used in settling claims to ensure that claims are valid and covered under the policy provisions and settlements are made according to company practices and procedures.
GNY offers a comprehensive benefits plan designed to meet the needs of all our employees:
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching contributions
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) that increases with job tenure
- Tuition/education reimbursement
- Bonuses for passing insurance related exams such as CPCU
- Company social events
Culture is a large part of what makes an organization tick. We spend the majority of our time at work and we believe that our work environment at GNY is what makes us a company of choice.
- We are a firm believer of "doing the right thing" not only for our customers but our employees.
- Our average job tenure is 9 years!
- We are financially strong. We have been A+ rated by A.M. Best for 40 years in a row. Few companies have acheived this accolade.
Passion in what we do
- We encourage and support our employees to pursue their career ambitions by providing incentives for additional education.
- We are dedicated to learning and development by various training programs and initiatives.
GNY Insurance Companies Photos
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at GNY Insurance Companies full-time (More than 5 years)RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEORecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Stable and financially strong company with down to earth management who care enough to be involved in the day to day.
Some people are stuck in the past and refuse to recognize all of the positive changes made to the company.
Advice to Management
Keep listening to your employees and remind everyone how great it is to be part of an organization that is successful and cares.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online – interviewed at GNY Insurance Companies (New York, NY).
Met with the head of HR and three executives. It seemed as if they just wanted to have a conversation and get to know you. They all asked pretty basic questions regarding my resume. There were no trick questions they just wanted to get a feel for who I am and how my background got me to the process of applying to be a claims trainee.
- Just basic resume questions and one about what you would ask a woman suing who tripped in the company lobby 1 Answer
Greater New York Mutual Insurance Companies (“GNY”) is a financially strong and growing A+ rated property/casualty mutual insurance Company, headquartered in New York City. We have additional offices in New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland.
Mission: Through 17 U.S. presidents, 20 economic recessions, and 7 wars, GNY Insurance has stood for one unwavering principle: providing consistent financial stability for its customers and brokers. We believe it's the one thing you should never have to question about your insurer.