Gander Mountain Photos
1 person found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (more than an year)Pros
- Since the store I worked at was in a college town many of us were college students, which made the atmosphere very fun. Besides rude customers and being stuck inside for long shifts, I enjoyed working at Gander very much.
- Worked with a lot of like-minded people who enjoyed the outdoors and similar hobbies.
- I learned a lot from my coworkers and customers about outdoor activities.
- The discounts are decent. 20% on most merchandise, 30% on Gander brand, along with 3.5 training discounts and VAP employee discounts.Cons
- Doesn't seem like it would be a great career: The majority of my coworkers were college students or retired people looking for extra money.
- Having to sell customers on the Gander Mountain Credit Card and Summit Protection Plans: Management is constantly in your ear (literally on the radios) about talking to customers about these two things. It went against my better judgement to convince people to open another credit card they didn't need, but at the end of the day I had to do it to keep getting enough hours. However, management at my store tried very hard to make it fun and offer incentives to employees. They also did cheesy coaching activities to help employees improve. All in all, it's retail! Expect to have to do things like this.
- Expect to work nights, weekends and holidays. I worked every holiday but got out of the days around Christmas by literally begging.RecommendsNeutral OutlookNo opinion of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks – interviewed at Gander Mountain.Interview Details
Interviewed with 4 people, 1SVP. , 2 directors and 1EVP
Interview was held in the corporate headquarters " base camp". 1/2 hour for each interview.
It is good to go to a store and the competition prior to the interview. They are interested in Bass Pro,Academy and Cabelas. If you come from Best Buy or Target,expect the job to be much broader than what you gave been accustomed to.Interview Questions
Negotiation DetailsYes, I was able to negotiateAccepted OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
- Nothing unexpected Answer Question
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
Gander Mountain Company, headquartered in St. Paul, MN, is the nation’s largest retail network of outdoor specialty stores for hunting, fishing, camping, marine and outdoor lifestyle products and services. Since 1960, the Gander Mountain brand has offered an expanding assortment of competitively priced outdoor equipment, technical apparel, rugged casual wear and footwear...
Mission: We travel the globe searching for the best-quality, high-performance gear, as well as the latest product innovations. We know how important it is to have the right gear...