Healthfirst is a not-for-profit managed care organization, sponsored by some of the most prestigious and nationally recognized hospitals and medical centers in New York and Long Island. We offer a variety of government-sponsored health insurance programs covering children, adults, seniors, and small businesses.
Established in 1993, Healthfirst has a unique hospital-sponsored business model that allows us to reinvest in the not-for-profit and public health care system by returning the financial savings from our operational efficiencies to our hospital sponsors.
Healthfirst strives to meet the needs of the diverse communities we serve through close provider partnerships and strong community involvement. We are one of the fastest growing health plans in New York and New Jersey with over 600,000 members and a network of more than 24,000 providers.
Our mission is to ensure that our members have superior healthcare and satisfaction.
We will fulfill this promise through our partnerships with providers and, together, will transform the system so that it is accountable for the cost and quality of healthcare for our populations.
Our vision is to treat our members with the same care and attention we would want for our own families.
- Members first. We exist to serve our members. Their satisfaction and well-being is the best barometer of our success. Providers are our partners.
- Quality execution and continuous improvement. We chase perfection in order to catch excellence and we know we cannot rest on past success. Excellence, willingness to change, and continuous improvement are our only paths to the future.
- Employee success. Our employees are our greatest asset. We strive to create an environment where every employee has the tools, feedback, and opportunity to excel and grow professionally. The success of our employees guarantees the success of Healthfirst.
- Cooperation. Our success depends on our ability to overcome challenges better and faster than our competitors. To do this, our employees at all levels must work together as a team regardless of their functional departments.
- Integrity and transparency. We work at the highest level of openness, honesty and integrity. We honor our commitments and keep our promises. Transparency fosters trust.
Healthfirst is proud to offer competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits packages, career enrichment, and opportunities for advancement. Our commitment to internal career growth lets you explore opportunities across the organization, and our culture of innovation means your ideas will be heard.
Our core organizational values and commitment to our employees promote a dynamic and supportive work environment that fosters professional and personal growth. Here, you can get the support, coaching, and training needed to advance your career.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, Healthfirst is committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
Healthfirst is also in your community. We strive to strengthen the health of the communities we serve through our local offices, our partnerships, and our community events. Our families and friends are members, and some of our members even become employees.
Top Reasons to Work at Healthfirst
The Healthfirst Team
- The Healthfirst team is creative, self-motivated, and collaborative. Our departments join forces to ensure one main goal: that we provide excellent customer service and member care. Departments such as Member Services and Sales are the first point of member contact, while our corporate departments are relentlessly working to guarantee that we are operating efficiently.
- Many of our employees have been with the organization for over a decade, and have remained with us not only because of professional growth opportunities, but because of the camaraderie.
Learning and Development
- Healthfirst University (HFU) provides numerous ongoing opportunities for employees to gain professional growth and development. Throughout the year HFU offers many online and instructor-led courses for individuals at all levels of our organization. Typical courses include effective business writing, process mapping, Microsoft Office courses, and more. New course offerings are always added to keep our employees cultivated, challenged, and engaged.
Making a Difference with Social Responsibility
- Healthfirst’s business model allows us to reinvest in the not-for-profit and public health care system by returning the financial savings from our operational efficiencies to our hospital sponsors. Healthfirst is one of the fastest growing managed care plans in New York.
- Our employees regularly provide outreach services to our communities. Healthfirst sponsors many events, such as the Dr. Suess Reading Event in NJ, the Healthfirst Healthy Living Program, the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, the AIDS Walk, and more. We also sponsor international outreach services to Haiti and an annual humanitarian trip to the Dominican Republic.
Impact and Rewards
- We provide robust benefits packages along with the opportunity to take advantage of the Wellnessfits program. This program offers a variety of fitness and training classes and healthy living tips for our employees.
- Our employees are the foundation of the organization. We enjoy recognizing them for all of their hard work and dedication by providing various incentive programs. Our LEAF Rewards is a points-based program that allows employees to earn points and redeem rewards for various noteworthy activities and professional contributions.
- The Big Idea program was created to promote transparency and foster an innovative environment. Realistic and feasible ideas are submitted and executed if chosen. There are also bi-annual award ceremonies that recognize and celebrate the winners of the program.
Technology and Innovation
- Healthfirst embraces many cutting-edge mobile technologies, including Blackberries, iPads, and lightweight laptops, in order to provide a flexible work environment for our employees.
- Our employees stay informed of the latest industry, company, and benefit news via our robust Intranet and quarterly video presentations.
- Healthfirst represents the diversity of our members, as we provide services to multicultural and multilingual communities throughout New York City. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, Healthfirst is committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
Healthfirst offers a variety of opportunities across many departments. Check out our Career Areas and some of the representative job functions in those areas.
- Administrative / Clerical (Administrative Assistant, Service Coordinator)
- Claims (Claims Examiner, Business Analyst)
- Corporate Communications (Copy Writer, Traffic Coordinator)
- Enrollment (Enrollment Representative, Medicare Verification Representative)
- Facilities & Administration (Receptionist, Facilities Support Specialist)
- Finance & Accounting (Health Care Analyst, Staff Accountant)
- Human Resources & Training (HR Coordinator, HR Specialist)
- Information Technology (PC Technician, Senior Programmer Analyst, Business Systems Analyst)
- Legal, Regulatory & Compliance (Paralegal, Senior Privacy Analyst, Medicare Regulatory Analyst)
- Marketing & Creative Services (Copy Writer & Reviewer, Project Management Associate)
- Medical (RN Care / Case Managers, Social Worker)
- Member Services (Member Services Representative, Field Member Services Representative)
- Product Management (Product Management Associate, Product Management Analyst)
- Project & Performance Management (Project Manager, Senior Project Manager)
- Provider Services & Operations (Provider Operations Representative, Auditor)
- Sales (Marketing Representative, Facilitated Enroller)
As an equal opportunity employer, it is Healthfirst policy to provide equal opportunity in all areas of employment practice without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, citizenship or disability.
Healthfirst (New York) Photos
I have been working at Healthfirst (New York)Pros
Good benefits, pay and room for growthCons
Some people are only out for their own personal gain.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took a week – interviewed at Healthfirst (New York) in November 2014.Interview Details
Thursday - Applied online and within the hour received a call from HR that they were interested in my resume. HR went over some basic questions, if I'm bilingual what type of experience did I have, what pay did I expect and if I'm capable of working their shift schedules. She invited me to interview with one of the managers. HR sent an email and asked that I complete an employment application before heading to the interview. She was really thorough and mentioned she step by the interview to meet with me.
Friday - Arrived 20mins early to my interview. At my scheduled time the manager greeted me and brought me to the back office. Was asking some questions about where I currently work and she was familiar with the clothing boutique I worked at. She asked basic customer service questions and when we were finished I informed her that the HR rep that I spoke with mentioned dropping in for my interview. The manager went to get her and I met her. I thanked them both for the consideration and time and that I hoped Id be hearing from them soon. I was told I would hear back in 24-48hours but I didn't get a call back till the next Friday with the offer.Interview QuestionsNegotiation DetailsI didn't negotiate. They have a great base comp rate.Accepted OfferEasy Interview
If you want to be first in your field, it helps if your owners are first in theirs. Owned by some of the most prestigious hospitals in the region, Healthfirst might just have a leg-up on other health care management organizations. The not-for-profit has about 500,000 members throughout New York City, Long Island, and northern New Jersey. It offers government-sponsored health insurance programs, including Medicaid, Medicare, Family Health Plus, and Child Health Plus plans, to low-income and special needs clients. It also offers commercial HMO and point-of-service plans to...