Start a career at HHMI:
Join a leading biomedical research philanthropy.
Meaningful mission, smart colleagues, great benefits
We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to discover important breakthroughs, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference around the world.
HHMI is widely recognized as the world’s foremost medical research organization and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, and encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At the root of our work is the belief that significant advances in science are made possible when exceptionally talented researchers are given the time and freedom to pursue their interests and challenging, long-range questions.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee—you are part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. Together, we are working toward a common goal—advancing biomedical research and promoting science education.
Whether you work at a laboratory located at one of our partner universities, medical schools, or research institutions; field offices; Janelia Research Campus; or Chevy Chase, MD, headquarters, you will be surrounded by an extraordinary group of people who challenge each other every day to do their best work.
Our employees work at HHMI to be part of one of the most respected organizations of its kind in the world and to contribute to HHMI’s mission of excellence in biomedical research and science education.
In addition to an excellent work environment, highly competitive pay and benefits, our people value HHMI for its mission, innovation, creativity, financial resources, professional development opportunities, and work/life balance—all of which help provide a rewarding and fulfilling work experience.
- Talent. We hire the best. We’ve earned a worldwide reputation for innovation and creativity because of our people.
- Innovation. What’s next? That’s a question our people ask themselves every day. The drive toward “next” is an essential part of the scientific endeavor and of HHMI’s culture—which values bold thinking, risk-taking, and innovation.
- Collaboration. Active collaboration is a key part of our culture. We provide resources, time, and freedom for our employees to do their jobs. Each day our people work together on projects where they can make a difference.
- Resources. To engage the best and most talented people, we offer a vibrant and supportive workplace that fosters professional growth and development.
- Like-minded. We are diverse professionals united by a shared passion. We value commitment, creativity, honesty, integrity, intelligence, and teamwork.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time for more than a yearPros
great benefits, great retirement contributionsCons
theres isnt much opportunity for growthRecommendsNeutral OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Interview Details
Super fast hiring process! I had a job within 2 weeks. They were quick to email me back and set up a interview within a week of applying. I found the job on monster so I was shocked.Interview Questions
Negotiation DetailsThey gave me a offer letter with 25/hour but said they messed up and could only pay me 19/hourAccepted Offer
- Since I was handling mice, they asked me to hold a mouse (which I had never done before) Answer Question
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –
For the past 60 years, the HHMI’s people and programs have been a catalyst for achieving breakthroughs in basic research and enhancing scientific knowledge for the betterment of human health. Our people are transforming the ways research is conducted and science is taught and understood. HHMI’s programs are supported by a broad range of administrative and operational staff...
Mission: HHMI is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity.