At Infinera, we are redefining optical networking.
Infinera is enabling network operators to deliver vast amounts of bandwidth with greater ease. Whether for the long-haul core, metro, or emerging high-capacity metro cloud, Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks™ help carriers exploit the increasing demand for cloud-based services and datacenter connectivity as they advance into the Terabit Era.
Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks enable network operators to create rich end-user experiences based on efficient, high-capacity transport. Today, Infinera offers carriers, MSO/cable operators and Internet Content Providers (ICPs) the optical network platform of choice for ease-of-use, dramatic scaling, low cost of ownership and unparalleled reliability.
Today, over 135 customers in more than 72 countries rely on Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks to differentiate their services, protect their investment and lower operating expense as they scale their network.
Infinera is enabling the connected world by bringing automation, convergence and scalability to the optical network layer. Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks are designed to provide significant advantages over traditional systems, including:
- Operating simplicity and cost savings: Intelligent software control allows end-users flexible management and control of their own network services and is designed to simplify network planning, engineering and operation; consume less power; enable simplified testing and improve system reliability;
- Enhanced revenue generation: Infinera platforms lower the cost of optical to electrical to optical conversion, which enables our customers to access markets cost-effectively that had previously not been served due to cost constraints. We also believe that the our platforms enable communications service providers to add customers and provision new services more rapidly than traditional systems; and
- Capital cost savings: Infinera’s platforms incorporate the functionality of more than 60 discrete optical components into a single photonic integrated circuit (PIC) pair, reducing capitalexpenditures and the physical space required for a given amount of optical network capacity.
At the core of the Infinera Intelligent Transport Network is a breakthrough semiconductor technology, the PIC. Basically a network on a chip, the PIC solves the cost, power dissipation, reliability and physical space issues in communications. The PIC provides massive WDM capacity in small power and space footprints to handle growing bandwidth needs, while allowing transport networks to scale in other dimensions. By solving the costly translation between the electrical and optical domains, long an albatross of network economics, the PIC enables DWDM optical transport networks to be more responsive to the digital services they carry.
The commercially-deployed, large scale PICs transmit and receive up to 500 Gigabits per second, or Gbps, of optical capacity and incorporate the functionality of more than 600 discrete optical functions into a pair of indium phosphide chips approximately the size of a child’s fingernail.
Ifinera Intelligent Transport Network solutions include:
Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks offer strategic business value to customers and protect investments for the next decade.
Today our innovation continues. Buoyed by our success and fueled by our vision, we are confidently reshaping what the network is, what it can do, and ultimately, what it will be.
At Infinera, we are working to redefine the network but our people define us. We're committed to building a community of talented individuals who value ingenuity, team work and integrity. Here, you'll have the opportunity to work alongside highly respected industry leaders; your contributions will be welcomed; and you'll play an active part in our success.
Imagine being part of a team that is fundamentally changing the way people communicate. Utilizing our differentiated technology, we have created Intelligent Transport Networks with more speed, capacity and scalability than ever before. Imagine a world with unlimited bandwidth. The network of tomorrow will allow for content and creativity limited only by its users' imaginations.
Infinera is a conglomerate of exceptional people from all different backgrounds. Some have come from colossal organizations where their contributions were glossed over. Some of them came from small companies where there was no team to encourage their growth and progression. At Infinera, all of them have found a dynamic environment that fosters creativity, professional development and collaboration.
As the global demand for bandwidth increases, Infinera will continue to provide the scalability required to support this growth. To ensure that Infinera is at the forefront of digital transport technology, our workplace will always be a breeding ground for ideas designed to transform the industry.
Why Choose Infinera?
One of the best things about working at Infinera is our office culture. Employees at Infinera vary widely in terms of race, gender, national origin and ethnicity, but they share certain traits, attributes and experiences that contribute significantly to the world class status of our team.
Our culture here at Infinera is unique. We think the following statements will help give you a picture of what working for Infinera is like.
- At Infinera, we pride ourselves on being a "just do it" culture. We roll up our sleeves and we get stuff done. Regardless of title, regardless of level, we work as a team and we make things happen.
- We're courageous and we take risks. We rely on data and our experience to prove a point. We don't have all the answers, but we're committed to finding the right ones to the important questions our customers ask.
- We're not always flashy, in fact, we value simplicity and humility. We're looking for the smartest, most economic solution.
- We ask people to come up to speed quickly and to work hard. To jump in and make a difference. To be persistent and resilient. If you see something that needs to be done, don't wait to be asked or told, just do it.
- We're learning to celebrate our successes. Sometimes taking the time to recognize a job well done is almost as rewarding as the satisfaction that comes from doing it.
Our team members can typically be described as:
- Highly-educated, skilled, or experienced in their functional area of expertise
- Possessing fresh minds with new ideas that think outside the box
- Self-sufficient idea-drivers who know how to make things happen, get things done, and are not afraid to go the extra mile
- Intensely committed individuals, dedicated to successfully completing what they've started, regardless of the task
- Flexible and agile in their approach to problem solving, and always looking for new ways to solve problems and create innovative solutions
- Team players and great communicators who check their egos at the door and believe in the possibility and power of our collective success
- Risk takers who want to be part of something that is new and cutting edge
Why Choose Infinera?
What does working for Infinera say about you? It says that your peers recognize you as being among the best in your field. We believe that brilliant minds, working together, create brilliant things and that really meaningful work is accomplished in teams. When you work among colleagues who respect you, challenge you and raise your expectations of what you expect from a company, then you're in the right place. If this sounds like you, here are some other things to think about as you look into our company.
Work that matters.
By choosing a career at Infinera, you're opening yourself up to a new way of life, where talent, respect, and camaraderie matters; where you'll have the greatest opportunities to work on the greatest projects with the greatest people; to change the way the world connects and to be part of the next big networking revolution.
You'll join a team of peers and legends.
Infinera's team is a bit of a who's who in the optical world. From brilliant industry leaders to legends-in-the-making, the halls of Infinera are teeming with the kinds of people that you want to be around and will enjoy working with daily simply because of their passion for what they do.
Opportunity to rise to the top... again and again.
You'll welcome the challenges of facing a new set of values, a new set of responsibilities and a new team. Here, each of us knows that our reputations only get us as far as the last project, and that building the respect of our peers while creating innovative technology is an ongoing and personally fulfilling process.
We know benefits are an important component of any total rewards program. At Infinera, we make a point of taking good care of our employees by providing a strong and comprehensive benefits package. From your first day of work, Infinera offers you (and your eligible family members, including domestic partners and dependents) a choice of medical and dental coverage, life insurance and vision care, stock options, a 401(k) savings plan, and much more.
Health & Wellness
- Medical – PPO, HMO, and Low Cost High Deductible plans
- Dental – PPO and HMO plans
- Health Savings Account – with company funding
- Flexible Spending Accounts – Medical, Dependent Care, Commuter Benefit
- Life Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Ongoing Wellness Events
- Onsite Fitness Center (Sunnyvale) & Gym Membership Reimbursement/Discount
- Smoking Cessation Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 401(k) Savings Plan (Traditional & Roth)
- Prepaid Legal
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Discounted Auto and Homeowners Insurance
- Credit Union Membership
- Employee Referral Program
- Ecopass Program
- Discounted Movie Tickets
- Discounted Wireless Program
- Employee Spot Bonus Program
- Featured Review
RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at Infinera full-time (More than a year)
This is a great company that cares about there employees and is a fun place to work. The people at Infinera our outstanding people and it makes working here so much fun. I started working at Infinera 16 months ago and am truly blessed to be a part of this company. Best career move I've ever made!
The biggest challenge at Infinera is 98% of the employees are higher motivated and super talented, so standing out as a top level employee isn't easy but I'd rather work with super talented people than super lazy people.
Advice to Management
Upper management does an outstanding job of communicating the objectives and goals of the company. This is a special place to work. Keep doing what your doing!
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Infinera (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2015.
Screening with HR and telephone interview w/hiring manager. I was local so I also met the hiring manger for lunch. Had a second telephone call with the director of group and was invited for an onsite interview. For the in person interview, they require you to give a 45 min talk on two subjects of your choice, 30 min in depth on one topic and 15 min on a second topic but not as deep. There is 1 hour allocated first thing in the morning for the talk so you will be peppered with questions throughout. About 12-15 ppl attended my talk. I was given a list of people who I would interview with that day and I looked them up on LinkedIn. They either had a PhD or a Masters degree in EE, Physics or Optics which felt intimidating since I knew these people would attend my talk. I think I put additional pressure on myself for the talk by looking them up and finding Stanford, MIT, USC and Berkeley among their alma mater. After the talk I had one on one interviews with 6-7 ppl throughout the rest of the day, 30 mins each. Many asked more technical questions about my talk and general technical questions in the area of Fiber optic communications. No mind teaser type questions which are no fun to solve during an interview. I also got the feeling they were evaluating my personality to see how I would fit in with the team. I was taken to lunch by the hiring manger and two other people. Here it was more seeing how I interacted with them with questions being general in nature such as my interests, hobbies and about my family etc... not really much technical discussion. The interview takes the whole day and is quite tiring, basically a full 9-5 day. I was exhausted by the end of the day. I think they generally like confidence in the candidate, the ability to communicate your ideas but I don't think you can fool all of them if you are not technically competent. One person commented that although he wasn't an expert in the topics I talked about he really enjoyed the way I connected my work to the work they do at Infinera. I think they all appreciated how I tailored my talk to them. It was a tough day but I could see how they value the hiring process to try to get it right.
- Mainly questions about lasers, coherent communications and complex modulation techniques. Nothing someone in this field should be able to answer. Answer Question
The offer was quite nice, a bump from my current salary, a sign on bonus, performance bonus and RSUs. The compensation package was good so I accepted what they offered.
Infinera empowers network operators to accelerate service innovation and simplify optical network operations. Service providers, Cloud operators, governments and enterprises across the globe rely on Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks to create rich end-user experiences based on efficient, high bandwidth optical networks. Infinera was founded with the vision of enabling ...
Mission: Our Mission at Infinera is to earn a superior return by enabling our customers to build and operate the world’s best optical networks.