Health System Overview
Our origins can be traced to the Fall of 1916 when a group of community leaders set aside 300 dollars, and donated lumber from the dismantled Court House, to build the first hospital in Fort Myers. That first hospital, Lee County Hospital, a two story, four room, 10 bed, wooden building was the beginning of community health care in our area.
Today, Lee Memorial Health System consists of four acute care hospitals: Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Gulf Coast Medical Center and Cape Coral Hospital, and two speciality hospitals: Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida and The Rehabilitation Hospital. With a total of 1600+ beds, and over 1 million patient contacts each year, this makes Lee Memorial Health System the largest public health system in the state of Florida, receiving no direct tax support.
Supported by over 10,000 dedicated employees and 4,500 volunteers and auxilians, Lee Memorial Health System remains the bedrock of our community by offering acute care, emergency care, rehabilitative and diagnostic services, health and wellness education, community outreach and advocacy programs throughout the five county region. We continue to invest back into our community to improve facilities, add services and extending care to those who need it most - in their own back yard.
In the nearly 95 years since opening our first hospital, our dedication to our community - the people with whom we live and work - has been at the core of Lee Memorial Health System's mission, values and strategic planning principles. Lee Memorial Health System - We are Lee Memorial Health System: Caring People, Caring For People.
- Established: 1916 *
- Southwest Regional Hospital Opened: 1974 **
- Gulf Coast Hospital Opened: 1990 **
- HealthPark Medical Center Opened: 1991
- The Children's Hospital Opened: 1994
- Cape Coral Hospital Joined the System: 1996
- Number of Primary Care Office Locations: 25+ ***
- Type of Facilities: 4 Acute Care and 2 Speciality Hospitals
- Number of Total Beds: 1,600+
- Number of Pediatric Beds: 101 ****
- Number of Patients Contacts Annually: 1 million +
- Number of Physicians: 1,100 +
- Number of Physician Specialists: 115
- Number of Primary Care Physicians: 75
- Number of Employees: 10,000+
- Number of Volunteers: 4,500+
* First opened as Lee County Hospital and later became Lee Memorial Hospital.
** Both hospitals joined our System in 2006 - combined to form Gulf Coast Medical Center.
*** Lee Physician Group and Lee Convenient Care Offices.
**** All pediatric beds are located at Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida.
Collectively, Lee Memorial Health System ranks nationally, in-state, and regionally in nearly every sevice line.
- Lee Memorial Health System is the largest public health system in Florida that receives no direct tax support.
- More than 1 million patient contacts each year.
- Governed by a publicly elected, 10-member Board of Directors.
- Has the only state approved Level II Trauma Center between Tampa and Miami.
- Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida is the only comprehensive children's hospital between Tampa and Miami.
- The Children's Hospital has the only Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center in the area, has the best survival rates in the state. Our RPICC is only one of 11 certified in the state.
- The Children's Hospital has the only Level III NICU between Tampa and Miami.
- Lee Memorial Health System is ranked No. 1 in the nation for the minimally invasive cardiac surgery program.
- The Transplant Center at Gulf Coast Medical Center is the only renal transplant center between Tampa and Miami.
- The waiting time for transplantation at Gulf Coast Medical Center is among the shortest in the nation.
- Lee Memorial Health System is one of the top 10 most active joint replacement centers in the United States.
- Lee Memorial Health System is one of only two health care institutions in the country to participate in the ONYX™ Clinical Trials (ONYX is a putty-like substance used to treat aneurysms).
- The Rehabilitation Hospital is the only licensed comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation facility in Lee County, and has been designated as a State of Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury program.
- Lee Memorial Health System's Regional Cancer Center houses the only oncology practice with the Calypso Medical's GPS for the Body ® in Southwest Florida. The Calypso system provides guidance to clinicians on the position and movement of the prostate during radiation therapy.
- The Regional Cancer Center also houses a Trilogy™ radiation therapy machine, the only conventional linear accelerator in Charlotte, Collier and Lee counties.
- The Lee Memorial Health System cardiac program is one of only a handful in the nation offering regular robot-assisted cardiac bypass surgeries with the da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical Robot. The da Vinci can perform major procedures – such as cardiac bypass surgery, mitral valve repairs, lung tumor removals, prostate removals, partial kidney removals and urinary system blockage removals – through small laparoscopic incisions. Dr. Benitez performed the first robot-assisted prostatectomy in Lee County on March 8.
- Lee Memorial Health System was selected as a host site for human clinical trials for a new type of cancer treatment developed by the late John Kanzius, a Sanibel Island resident and inventor.
- Lee Memorial Home Health is accredited by and represented on the National Board of Review for Community Health Accreditation Program.
- AARP ranked Lee Memorial Health System as fifth in the nation on its list of 2008 Top Employers for Workers over 50 and second in the nation on its list of 2009 Top Healthcare Employers for Workers over 50.
Team Member Commitment - Standards of Behavior
We are a well respected health system dedicated to providing a caring, compassionate, safe and healthy environment for staff, patients, family members and visitors. At Lee Memorial Health System, we firmly believe that every member of our team makes a difference every day in the lives of our patients and we hold ourselves to high standards.
Every patient or customer is our top priority when we are serving them and deserves courtesy, respect and a friendly interaction.
How we and our facilities look says a lot about our System. We keep neat, tidy and professional at all times.
We take total care of our patients – keeping their information in the highest confidence, anticipating their needs, explaining information and instructions in clear, understandable language and letting them and their families know what to expect and when.
We talk and listen with courtesy and concern, seeking both to understand and be understood.
We act and treat each other as the professionals we are whenever we work together.
In addition to competitive compensation, Lee Memorial Health System employees receive a great benefits package designed to encourage work-life balance and continuous growth and education.
Here's a snapshot of what our package offers:
- Employee Referrals
- Health insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Nursing Internship
- Child care centers
- Paid time off
- Additional benefits such as life, dental and disability
- Service awards, celebrations and recognition programs
- Flexible work schedules such as PRN/Temporary, Seasonal Months Off program and reduced work schedule options
- Training and development
- Safe work environment
- Free Employee Health ARNP clinics
- In-house employee mail order pharmacy
- Military family support program
- Wellness/Fitness centers with employee discount
- On-site accredited child development centers (day care)
- On-site dry cleaning service
- Cafeteria discounts
- Free credit union/banking services
- Optional benefits - dependent life, prepaid legal, pet insurance and auto insurance
- Established employee crisis relief, assistance programs and Herocare, our employee discount program
LMHS helps maintain a work/life balance by offering events through our Staff Activities Committee. These events give our employees a chance to spend time with fellow co-workers and their families away from the work environment. Staff Activities offers a variety of events such as family entertainment, sports, vacations/trips, and tickets to local and statewide attractions.
Some examples of these events are:
- Germain Arena shows (concerts, ice shows, circus, etc.)
- Football - Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Baseball - Boston Red Sox Spring Training, Tampa Bay Rays
- Racing - Daytona
- Hockey - Everblades
- Vacations/Trips - Cruises – day and extended , Bus trips – Sawgrass Mills Shopping, Local and Statewide Attractions, SunSplash Water Park, Disney, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, etc.
Lee Memorial Health System consists of four acute care hospitals: Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Gulf Coast Medical Center and Cape Coral Hospital, and two specialty hospitals: Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida and The Rehabilitation Hospital.
With more than 1420 beds, and over 1 million patient contacts each year, this makes Lee Memorial Health System the largest public health system in the state of Florida, receiving no direct tax support.
List of Hospital Facilities:
- Cape Coral Hospital
- Gulf Coast Medical Center
- HealthPark Medical Center
- Lee Memorial Hospital
- Regional Cancer Center
- Golisano Children's Hospital of SWFL
- The Rehabilitation Hospital
Other Health Services:
- Bonita Community Health Center
- Community Health Centers/United Way
- HealthPark Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Convenient Care
- Lee Physician Group Office
- Outpatient Centers
- Riverwalk Professional Center
- Wellness Centers
"Funding Tomorrow's Health care Today"
To expand and enhance the role of philanthropy and the Foundation in accomplishing the mission of Lee Memorial Health System.
To be recognized as the exclusive organization of Lee Memorial Health System for the solicitation, receiving, recording, management and disbursement of gift income in order to expand the Health System’s capabilities in patient care, education and research.
Lee Memorial Health System (LMHS) is the Heart of the Community...and the LMHS Foundation is the pulse that keeps it beating. Community support of the LMHS Foundation helps offset the costs of providing advanced technology, renowned physicians, expert nurses, nutritionists, pharmacists and lifesaving care 365 days a year, 24 hours a day to our ever-expanding community. Consider these figures:
-Almost 21,000 people move to Lee County each year.
-Lee County is one of the 100 fastest growing counties in the U.S.
-The 18-24 year old age group is growing at three times the rest of the U.S.
-Cape Coral is the 10th fastest growing city in the U.S.
-More than 50% of kids treated at Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida have limited medical coverage through Medicaid or are uninsured.
As a community-owned, not-for-profit, public health care system that receives no tax support, our business operates at about a 3% margin of profit. Most businesses couldn't survive on such a small return on investment and ours is no exception. Your financial support is critical to the viability of our organization and to the future of quality health care in Southwest Florida.
Gifts of all sizes ensure that your own family and future generations can enjoy the benefits of superior health care right here in Southwest Florida. We invite you to join with us in Funding Tomorrow's Health care Today.
Call us at 239-343-6950 to speak to a Foundation staff member.
Make a gift. Make an impact.
Lee Memorial Health System Photos
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at Lee Memorial Health System full-time (More than 10 years)
LMHS strives to be the best in patient centered care, and I think they achieve this. There is lots of information and education on how to help patients, (and employees as well) obtain optimum wellness.
Policies are not all practiced equally at al four campuses. Some units add their own rules for nursing/CNAs to follow in addition to the systems' P/P.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Declined OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lee Memorial Health System (Lee, FL).
My interview was delayed by over an hour without any explanation as to why. After the first part of the interview I was told to drive across the town to meet with another top person in charge and when leaving the initial location, I was told to hurry up otherwise I may not make it in time for the next portion of the interview. I found that to be very inappropriate. However, the remainder of the interview was very pleasant and I was offered the position.
- General medical questions as well as background questions. Answer Question
Lee Memorial Health System is located in beautiful, sunny and tropical Ft. Myers/Cape Coral, Florida. We are the 4th largest public Health System in the United States. We have more than 10,000 employees, 1600+ beds in four acute care hospitals, a Level II Trauma Center, a Children's Hospital, a Rehabilitation Hospital, a Cancer Center, Nursing Home with 75 Licensed ...
Mission: Lee Memorial Health System Mission… To continue to meet the health care needs and improve the health status of the people of Southwest Florida. Our Promise… We are caring people, caring for people. Our Vision… To become the best patient-centered health care system in Florida, through balancing quality, access and cost. Our Values… We are committed to the values of safety, respect, honesty, compassion, teamwork, loyalty, initiative, adaptability and resource responsibility.