I worked at Maryland Zoo in Baltimore as an intern (Less than a year)RecommendsRecommends
I did an internship as a veterinary technician. I was almost fully involved in every aspect of the job.
I didn't do as much hands on stuff as I would have wished. Part of that was because I didn't ask, but I also feel like I should have been offered more opportunities.
Advice to Management
Get excited about your interns and let them do as much as you feel comfortable letting them do.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took a week – interviewed at Maryland Zoo in Baltimore (Baltimore, MD) in February 2015.
Filled out an online application and within a week an HR contacted me via email to set up a phone interview with the curators for the following week. The interview was a panel interview with 3 people on speaker and lasted about 35 minutes. They asked a series of about 20 questions and then asked me if I had any questions for them. Even if you don't have any questions it is always better to prepare at least 3 questions for them to show you are interested. They do grade you on your answers to their questions. I don't enjoy scored interviews. They did tell me when I asked when to expect an answer that they are not in a hurry to hire someone that they are just waiting for the right applicant to appear but they always let the interviewer know within a week or two either way on what is going on. So now we play the waiting game.
- What are my views on euthanasia for population control? Answer Question
- What is my favorite movie? Answer Question
- What are my weaknesses not related to animal care and related to animal care? Answer Question
- What experiences are you proud of Answer Question
- What was the hardest job I ever had and how did I overcome it? What is operant conditioning and when would it be beneficial? Do you think other types of training would also be beneficial? How would you handle a situation when an animal was hurt while you were on duty? Have you ever had to work with someone that you wouldn't necessarily get along with outside of work? How would you handle a conflict with another staff member? If your supervisor asked you to stop working on a project that you were really proud of, how would you handle the situation? What makes you stand out above other applicants? What is your favorite type of animal to work with? What is the purpose of a zoo? What is animal husbandry? What would you do if a mammal was pacing? What type of experience qualifies you for this job? Answer Question
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –