Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) is the world's oldest and largest private institution devoted to the prevention, treatment, and cure of cancer. Founded in 1884, Memorial Sloan-Kettering has long been a leader in early detection, precise diagnosis, and individually tailored treatments for cancer.
At MSKCC, you are part of a team with a purpose. Opportunities exist to work with and learn from others throughout the organization. We recognize and support employees' efforts to expand their knowledge, improve their skills, and assume added responsibility.
We fulfill our mission -- the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research, and education -- by facilitating collaborations among scientists and clinical specialists, enabling new discoveries and the development of new treatments.
Regardless of where you work at MSKCC, your skills will contribute to the fulfillment of our mission. The greatest reward comes from knowing that you have a role in the advances we are making — together — toward the control and cure of cancer.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center offers a comprehensive and competitive Total Rewards package designed to acknowledge the contributions of our staff, as well as to meet the needs of their families.
Advance...the rewards of caring acknowledges the care that our employees put into their jobs every day at MSKCC. The program provides benefits, tools, resources and services to help employees advance at work, and in their lives outside of work. MSKCC's Total Rewards package includes:
Memorial Sloan-Kettering's FlexNow Program recognizes that as life changes, so do the benefit needs of our employees. At Memorial Sloan-Kettering, employees are able to choose the plans that best fit their needs. Flexible benefits include:
Memorial Sloan-Kettering offers a choice of seven medical plans to meet the health needs of staff and their families.
Employees may choose between two dental plans to help pay for preventive, diagnostic, and restorative dental care.
Employees can protect their income should they become disabled and unable to work due to an illness or injury. All Memorial Sloan-Kettering employees are provided with core long-term disability coverage paid for by Memorial Sloan-Kettering. However, employees may purchase additional long-term disability coverage under two supplemental plans.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
No one can predict when an accident will happen. Staff can choose to protect their family's financial well-being in the event of premature death or disability due to an accident.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering offers 13 different levels of term life insurance coverage. Employees can decide on the amount of coverage that is right for them.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering encourages and rewards long-term employees by offering a retirement program that includes voluntary, tax-deferred annuity plans. The plans offer a range of options to help employees save for the future.
Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Optional flexible spending accounts allow employees to set aside a portion of their salary to pay for eligible health and dental expenses not covered by insurance plans, as well as IRS-approved dependent care expenses (such as day care or preschool tuition). Money contributed to the flexible spending accounts is deducted from pay before payroll taxes are taken out.
In addition to 12 paid holidays every year, employees are eligible for vacation time based on their job classification and length of service.
Sick leave allows employees to receive their regular salary for a period of time if an illness or injury prevents them from working.
The Tuition Reimbursement Program provides financial assistance to help employees further their education, enhance their skills and knowledge, and improve their ability to face future challenges at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. The program offers reimbursement for eligible employees for certificates, undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees, laboratory fees, registration fees, and professional license exam fees up to a total of 18 credits and $10,000 per calendar year for full-time employees, and up to a total of 9 credits and $5,000 per year for part-time employees (working at least 18.75 hours per week).
Commuter Spending Account Program
Optional salary deductions allow employees to pay for eligible commuting expenses to and from work on a monthly basis. The money that employees contribute to a commuter spending account is deducted from pay before payroll taxes are taken out.
MSKCC also offers employees some of the most innovative benefits found at any workplace, including:
These programs and services help employees navigate the challenges involved in managing work and personal commitments.
- Backup Child and Elder Care -- for times when regular care is not available
- Lactation Rooms -- to provide nursing mothers with private spaces to pump at work
- LifeCare -- to help employees find resources on a wide range of topics
- Nanny Resource Website -- to help with childcare searches
- Adoption Reimbursement Program -- to assist with expenses related to adoption
- Flexible Work Arrangements -- when appropriate to the job
- Employee Assistance Program -- to provide short-term counseling and referrals to help employees and their families cope with personal problems, such as depression, addiction, and relationship difficulties
Employee Wellness Program
Memorial Sloan-Kettering recognizes that our employees are our greatest asset. The MSKCC Wellness Program is designed to support the health and well-being of employees and their families, and includes programs related to exercise and fitness, weight and nutrition, cancer screening services, and tobacco cessation.
The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Employee Discount Program offers discounts to staff on a variety of products and services. These discounts help save in many areas such as health and wellness, family fun and entertainment, shopping and dining, travel, and IT-related goods.
We Listen to Employees
To get a sense of our employees' thoughts about working at MSKCC, we periodically conduct an Employee Engagement Survey. The survey is designed to reveal the positive aspects of working at the Center, as well as areas that need improvement. Action plans are developed and implemented based on the areas that our employees identify as needing improvement.
News about recent and upcoming activities at the Center and information about new services and benefits that affect all employees are reported daily on our Intranet site and through MSKLife, a quarterly newsletter for staff.
Staff Appreciation Events
Every summer, employees are honored during Staff Appreciation Week, an event that includes a weekday picnic, a dinner for night staff, and a health fair. Throughout the year, various departments recognize employees who excel in their areas of expertise, and those who celebrate milestone anniversaries (in increments of five years) are honored at special events.
Service Awards Program
MSKCC recognizes long-term service by acknowledging employees who have completed five-year milestones, up to 25 years. Employees receive anniversary pins upon completion of each milestone. People with 30 or more years of service receive a special gift and recognition at the Annual 20 Year Club Dinner. Each department also hosts its own annual celebration to acknowledge people who reach anniversary milestones.
The first two days on the job are spent in a workshop with other new employees from across the Center. The workshop is designed to welcome employees and present information about the Center's history, goals, culture, and benefits, and provides some of the tools necessary for succeeding at their new jobs.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center offers a comprehensive and competitive Total Rewards package designed to acknowledge the contributions of our staff, as well as to meet the needs of their families. The Total Rewards package includes:
Other Career Advancement Opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement is available for eligible employees seeking academic degrees or position-appropriate certification. In addition, employees can take advantage of learning opportunities sponsored by Memorial Sloan-Kettering to help enhance job performance. Many are offered electronically, as well as in a classroom setting. These include:
- Staff Development Courses -- to help employees perform specific aspects of their jobs better.
- Management Development Courses -- to provide essential information for new managers about Memorial Sloan-Kettering's policies, procedures, and management practices.
- Leadership Development Program -- to help selected participants gain knowledge and skills necessary to become organizational leaders.
- Through one-on-one sessions and various other programs, Career Services provides guidance and resources to help employees effectively and actively manage their careers, including:
- Self-Assessment -- Understand your interests, skills, values, and preferences in a work setting and how they relate to informed decision making.
- Career Exploration -- Discover ways to learn about other job functions and departments at MSKCC and what types of training may be needed for different positions.
- Job Search -- Learn to navigate MSKCC's internal job-posting process and develop practical job search skills like resume writing and interviewing.
- Action Plan -- Create long- and short-term goals to help you manage your career.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 10 years)Pros
MSKCC is an organization that makes employees proud. TheiR innovative approach to things old and new is not only extended to patients, but employees on every level as well. MSKCC is an extremely great place to work. Thanks for the opportunity.Cons
It can be emotionally draining seeing the type of disease the organization handles.Advice to ManagementAdvice
Very little to say here, outside of continue to listen to even the most minute grievance expressed by employees.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in December 2014.Interview Details
Phone interview with HR first. He arranged an actually interview for the job. On the day of the interview, I met with HR for a 1:1 interview. It was quick and simple questions were asked. Then I went and met with the head of the department that I would be working in. That was a more difficult interview (see below). I was asked for my references via email later that night.Interview Questions
Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
- They asked a lot of questions that they wanted answers with using past sitauations in real life. Ex: Name a time you needed to accomplish something with a group. How will your past experience help you in this position? No typical interview questions were asked. Answer Question
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) leads the way in cancer research and treatment. The center includes the 430-bed Memorial Hospital for Cancer and Allied Diseases, providing pediatric and adult cancer care, and the Sloan-Kettering Institute for cancer research activities. Memorial Hospital specializes in bone-marrow transplants, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy, and it offers programs in cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, research, and education. The Sloan-Kettering Institute conducts medical and clinical laboratory research on cancer genetics and...
Work at Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Share Your Experiences
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering update30+ days ago
At Memorial Sloan Kettering, we believe that as life changes, so do the needs of our employees. Learn more about work life balance and employee wellness programs here: http://gldr.co/vIzfo
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering update30+ days ago
At Memorial Sloan Kettering, we’re making what was impossible yesterday possible today. Learn more about our career opportunities:http://gldr.co/vIzfj