Novatel Wireless Photos

Novatel Wireless Reviews

Rating Trends
Recommend to a friend
Approve of CEO
Novatel Wireless Chief Executive Officer Alex Mashinsky
Alex Mashinsky
8 Ratings
  • Could be a great place to work

    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    No opinion of CEO

    I have been working at Novatel Wireless (More than 8 years)


    The current CEO is a high energy, veritable factory of bold ideas. Through product and market space changes, and through acquisitions he seems to be making some headway in moving the company from the brink of closing to profitability. Pay and benefits are average; long and short term disability are provided as part of your package, but there is no paid sick leave and no 401k matching. Through the lean times the company has maintained a bonus program, which has made up for years of no raises. The hours vary with the project on which you're working. 8-9 hour days can be the norm, but much longer hours are expected depending on the situation. The company 'culture' is not one of "us verses them", but rather there is genuine free access to discuss issues with management.


    Twenty consecutive quarters of bleeding red ink all over the balance sheet has resulted in years of perpetual layoffs, no raises and slashed benefits. The new CEO has made great strides in moving the company from huge quarterly losses to small quarterly losses, but has yet to deliver a quarter in the black. The company seems poised to close the Richardson office (Enfora); or at least all the same things that happened to the Calgary office before it was closed are being done to the Richardson office. The company uses Jack Welch's method of motivation through fear, rather than motivation through reward. Jack laid off (and replaced) a full 10% of his upper management every year, in hopes of motivating the other 90% to work harder/smarter. At Novatel the upper management lays off a much smaller percentage of non-upper management each year in hopes of motivating those that remain. BTW: those layoffs are in addition to the ones caused by loosing money.

    Advice to Management

    Drop the Jack Welch act; it doesn't have the desired effect. Good luck on a quick return to profitability; the long term employees will welcome the relief!

Novatel Wireless Interviews

Interview Experience

Interview Experience


Getting an Interview

Getting an Interview


Interview Difficulty


Interview Difficulty




    Intern - Hourly Interview

    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Accepted Offer
    Positive Experience
    Average Interview


    I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Novatel Wireless (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.


    I got a call from HR to schedule for a interview after 15 days of applying. I had one telephonic interview.The Manager interviewed me. He was very kind to me and I think because of my answers I got selected.

    Interview Questions

    • Basic questions on your resume. Not too technical   1 Answer

Novatel Wireless Awards & Accolades

Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition – Add an award

Additional Info

Headquarters San Diego, CA
Size 201 to 500 Employees
Founded 1996
Type Company - Public (MIFI)
Industry Telecommunications
Revenue $100 to $500 million (USD) per year

Novatel Wireless proves you "can" take it with you. The company designs wireless modems that let users access the Internet from anywhere. Its MiFi brand of mobile hotspot devices provides wireless connectivity for up to five users at the same time. Novatel also offers a series of wireless PC card modems (Merlin), embedded wireless modules for OEMs (Expedite), and desktop wireless gateway consoles (Ovation). Its MobiLink software, bundled with modems and embedded modules, connects mobile devices with wireless LANs. Novatel also offers activation, provisioning, and ... More

Work at Novatel Wireless? Share Your Experiences

Novatel Wireless

Click to Rate