2 people found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at OkCupidPros
1. it's a smallish team of extremely smart people.
2. good ideas and hard work are both noticed and rewarded.
3. bad developers are treated as replaceable automatons and tend to leave quickly.
4. recruiting has hit a real stride, and all the newest devs here are brilliant and appreciated.
5. OkCupid makes thousands of dates a day and hundreds of serious relationships happen.
About #2. Since I've been here we haven't lost any developers who added constructively to the team, and some bad apples have left. There's no one sucky left.Cons
1. we need another conference room. it's sometimes hard to find a place to meet
2. I'm getting fat from all the free breakfastAdvice to ManagementAdvice
Stop caring if the site works in IE6 already. Practice your trivia skills. 11th place in last night's happy hour?Recommends
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
1 person found this helpfulApplication Details
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at OkCupid in July 2014.Interview Details
First, there was a phone interview with a member of the team. He had me do some CSS and jQuery in a shared doc.
Second, I went to their office. I met with two members of the team who asked me experience related questions, then two more members of the team, including the lead, who asked me technology related questions and had me do some CSS and jQuery on a whiteboard. After that, they had me do a no-internet test which included some basic tech knowledge and some code challenges (e.g. add comments to some pre-existing code, code and style a basic widget, optimize some inefficient jQuery). Then I had lunch with the team. Finally, I met with a member of the app team and the head of the product team (who oversees the app, front-end, and design teams -- and hires). They asked questions about how I would test and attempt to solve some user experience problems.
I later spoke with the CTO on the phone. They made it clear after the in-person that they wanted me, and after the final phone call that were going to get back to me with an offer, but after voicing some reservations I had about the position, they decided to pass.Interview Questions
Reasons for Declining
- The questions were almost disappointingly easy. You should be familiar enough with jQuery and CSS3 that you can to all the basic stuff without reference. Answer Question
I took the interview because I really dig OkCupid, but I wasn't willing to extend my work day from 8 hours to 9 hours for a position that I'm sure wasn't right for my professional development, even though I would have really liked working with that team.Declined OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –