WHO WE ARE
Pioneer Natural Resources is a large, Texas-based independent exploration and production company that is focused on helping to meet the world’s energy needs. We deliver industry-leading production and reserve growth through onshore, unconventional, oil and gas resource development in the United States, while providing opportunities for growth and enrichment for our business partners, employees and the communities in which we operate.
As a Fortune 500 company with a track record of strong execution and prudent growth, Pioneer is focused on developing two oil-rich shale plays in Texas: the Spraberry/Wolfcamp in the Permian Basin and the Eagle Ford Shale in the southern part of the state. We are the largest producer in the Spraberry/Wolfcamp and a top operator in the Eagle Ford Shale. Additionally, Pioneer is a large natural gas producer in the West Panhandle gas field in Texas and in the coal bed methane-rich Raton Basin in southeastern Colorado.
- Maintain a strong balance sheet to ensure financial flexibility in any oil price environment.
- Protect cash flow by utilizing an attractive derivatives program.
- Deliver economic production and reserve growth from our oil and gas assets.
- Utilize a vertical integration model to reduce costs and to enhance execution.
- Focus on economic growth and environmental stewardship through industry-leading sustainable development efforts.
- Enrich the communities where we work.
- Stay true to our core values, maintaining a deep sense of accountability for our decisions, actions and attitudes.
The accelerated development of unconventional resources in the past decade has put the United States in a favorable position on the journey to energy independence. In support of this initiative, Pioneer has become a public advocate of lifting the U.S. oil export ban that was implemented in the early 1970s following the Arab Oil Embargo. We will continue to proactively educate U.S. and international policymakers on the economic and national security benefits that would be gained by lifting the ban.
Pioneer Natural Resources Company was formed through the 1997 merger of Parker & Parsley Petroleum Company and MESA Inc. Built on the strategy of acquiring and exploiting proved properties, these companies had established significant operated interests in quality long-lived fields.
In September 2004, Pioneer merged with Evergreen Resources, Inc., creating a new core area in the Rocky Mountains that enhances Pioneer's strong foundation in North America.
Throughout the years Pioneer’s high-quality assets have yielded significant discoveries for the industry. A solid base of operations and continued drive to increase production and cash flow has helped Pioneer become one of the largest operators in the Spraberry/Wolfcamp oil field in West Texas, the gas-rich Raton basin in Southeastern Colorado and the West Panhandle gas field in the Texas Panhandle. It is one of the most active drillers in the South Texas Eagle Ford Shale play.
- August: Pioneer formed through the merger of Parker & Parsley Petroleum Company and MESA Inc.
- October: Entered South Africa
- December: Entered Gabon. Acquired Chauvco Resources Ltd.'s assets in Canada and Argentina
- March: Entered Deepwater Gulf of Mexico with interest in MC 305
- May: Successfully appraised Sable field, offshore South Africa
- August: Expanded Deepwater Gulf of Mexico acreage
- March: First Deepwater Gulf of Mexico discovery in Aconcagua
- September: Filed to acquire Parker & Parsley Limited Partnerships
- February: Made Deepwater Gulf of Mexico discovery - Devil's Tower
- March: Had success on first operated Bossier well in East Texas
- June: Had success on Devil's Tower appraisal well
- October: Expanded position in Gulf of Mexico and Canada
- January: Success in Bajo Barda Gonzalez field in Argentina
- April: Made Deepwater Gulf of Mexico discovery - Falcon
- May: Entered Tunisia. Made discovery in Gabon. First gas well discovery in South Africa.
- June: Sanctioned Sable field and Devil’s Tower development
- July: Expanded position in Tunisia. Made discoveries in Stirrup and Oneida on Gulf of Mexico shelf.
- October: Approved Falcon field development
- December: Acquired 42 Parker & Parsley Limited Partnerships
- April: Acquired additional West Panhandle interest from CIG
- June: Acquired interest in BEK block in Tunisia
- July: Discovered Triton field in the Deepwater Gulf of Mexico
- September: Discovered Adam field in Tunisia. Made first production from Aconcagua/Canyon Express.
- October: Entered Alaska and acquired leases on North Slope
- March: First production from Falcon field. Discovered Harrier field in Deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
- August: First production from Sable field in South Africa
- September: Discovered Raptor field in Deepwater Gulf of Mexico
- January: First production from Harrier field
- February: Joined Kosmos in West Africa venture
- June: Expanded into NPR-A in Alaska. Made first production from Tomahawk and Raptor, Falcon satellite fields
- September: Pioneer merged with Evergreen Resources, Inc.
- November: Had success in Hawa field in Tunisia
- June: Initiated drilling at Horseshoe Canyon (CBM) in Canada. Made $177 million acquisition in Permian Basin and South Texas
- August: Acquired interest in Alaska Cosmopolitan - Cook Inlet
- September: Approved South Coast Gas Development offshore South Africa
- December: First production from Triton and Goldfinger, Devil's Tower satellite fields. Began South Coast gas development in offshore South Africa.
- February: Oooguruk field development begins in Alaska
- March: Divested Deepwater Gulf of Mexico assets
- April: Divested Argentine assets
- February: Made Waha and Cherouq discoveries on Jenein Nord, Tunisia
- April: Made discoveries in El Badr on Jenein Nord, Tunisia, and in Steelhead in Canada. Announced plans to form two MLPs.
- May: Made Shaheen discovery on Jenein Nord, Tunisia
- July: Made Farrah discovery on Jenein Nord, Tunisia
- February: Successfully expanded Edwards Trend operations
- June: First Oooguruk production in Alaska
- June: First horizontal well in Eagle Ford Shale completed. Drilled first injection well in Oooguruk
- October: Made significant liquids-rich discovery in Eagle Ford Shale
- February: Expanded integrated services model in the Spraberry field
- May: Drilled Eagle Ford Shale well with highest condensate IP rate to date in the play
- June: Entered into joint venture with India-based Reliance Industries to develop Eagle Ford Shale oil and gas assets and midstream activities
- January: Divested Tunisia subsidiaries
- November: $490 million stock offering
- March: Acquired Carmeuse Industrial Sands and renamed as Premier Silica LLC
- August: Closed the sale of South Africa business to The Petroleum Oil and Gas Corporation of South Africa Ltd.
- January: Signed $1.7 billion agreement with Sinochem Petroleum USA LLC to sell 40 percent of interest in approximately 207,000 net acres leased in horizontal Wolfcamp Shale play
- January: Drilled first Wolfcamp Shale horizontal well (DL Hutt C #1H) in Midland County and completed it in the Wolfcamp B interval
- May: Closed joint venture transaction with Sinochem Petroleum USA LLC
- May: Placed on production first horizontal Wolfcamp Shale well in Martin County (Mabee K #1H) and completed it in the Wolfcamp B interval
- October: Announced sale of Alaska subsidiary
- November: Placed on production first horizontal Wolfcamp Shale well in Andrews County (University 7-43 10H) and completed it in the Wolfcamp D interval with an initial 24-hour peak production rate of 3,605 BOEPD, representing the highest horizontal 24-hour initial production rate for any interval in the Midland Basin to date
- December: Completed merger with Pioneer Southwest Energy Partners L.P.
- January: Formed Pioneer Water Management LLC
- April: Closed sale of Alaska subsidiary
- July: Exported first Eagle Ford Shale condensate cargo
- August: Announced sale of Hugoton and Barnett Shale Assets
- December: Acquired four Parker & Parsley Limited Partnerships
Pioneer's mission is to help meet the world’s energy demands by responsibly finding and producing oil and natural gas resources while delivering a highly competitive and sustainable rate of return to shareholders. We provide opportunities for growth and enrichment to our employees, our business partners and the communities in which we operate.
Achieving our mission requires we stay true to the fundamental principles upon which Pioneer is built:
- We respect the individual, community and environment.
- We are ethical and honest in all of our business dealings.
- We are diligent in protecting the safety of our people and our environment.
- We are disciplined and personally accountable for our decisions, actions, attitude and results.
- We have an entrepreneur's mindset, driving innovation and striving for excellence in all we do.
- We openly communicate among all levels and between departments and divisions.
- We believe in working as a team toward common objectives with a can-do attitude.
At Pioneer, we work with a strong determination to harness the industry’s latest technologies for discovering new resources for economic growth. Equally strong is our commitment to being a good neighbor and maintaining an open dialogue with local communities.
Our employees value the opportunity to enrich the areas they live and work in. They seek out events, organizations and initiatives to support with their own time, talents and donations, constantly striving to improve the quality of life for others. Pioneer is proud of their volunteerism, charitable giving and willingness to give back. Their ongoing efforts, often backed by corporate sponsorship, include:
- repairing and building houses in partnership with Habitat for Humanity;
- informing residents on issues concerning the water quality and quantity of state rivers;
- mentoring and donating to children and students of all levels;
- and raising funds to support local and national charities, such as the United Way.
Pioneer Natural Resources Photos
- Featured Review
“Wonderful company with excellent benefits, fantastic people. Best place I've ever worked, no question. ”
RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at Pioneer Natural Resources full-time (More than 5 years)
Great people, extremely competitive benefits, great pay, and on and on.
There are no cons. Just remember, you get out of it what you put into it. Work hard and you will have no issues.
Advice to Management
Keep up the great work, and thank you.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources.
Phone & Personal. I had already worked at PNR as intern which helped a lot. Hence the interview process was a mere formality, since they have already seen my work. The Manger at that was very friendly and made sure I was comfortable during the entire process.
- Why you want to work for this company & also about the Air Permitting Regulations 1 Answer
Oil and gas explorer Pioneer Natural Resources' frontier is not in the Western prairies, but below them, and below the Rocky Mountains, the Midcontinent, West Texas, South Texas, and elsewhere. The large independent exploration and production company reported proved reserves of 1 billion barrels of oil equivalent in 2010. The vast majority of the company's reserves are found within the US (including in Alaska, where the company was the first independent explorer to produce from a North Slope oilfield), but Pioneer also explores for and produces oil and gas in ...